Last session problem v5.0.1.1700

I have MX5 set to open the last session tab on startup. If I don't have MX5 running and I say for instance click on a link in an email, MX5 opens to display the email link webpage but it doesn't also open the last session tab at the same time when the browser starts up. This also used to happen in MX4 but not all the time, quite often MX4 would open an email link and also display the about:last tab too.

So I thought I'd tell MX5 to open a homepage on startup and I set mx://last-visit/  as my homepage. Opening the browser opens the last session page but when I closed the browser and clicked on a link in an email, MX5 just opened with the email link and no homepage tabs are opened. As long as I remember I can open a new tab and just click the 'home' icon and the last-visit tab will then open. With my wife and two children using the browser it's not a perfect solution for me to not lose my last session tab.

I'd like a way to safeguard the mx://last-visit/ tab so that I don't lose it. 'Lock tab' is grayed out and isn't an option for the last-visit tab but some way of locking it would be good.

Could the last-visit tab be written to the history when the browser is closed, that would be a good way to get back multiple 'last sessions' as long as the history hadn't been deleted?

Paul.

31 minutes ago, dagoz said:

I think the answer to your problem is to use Maxthon 4 or another browser.

But if you don't actually use the beta how are you supposed to request features to be added or report bugs? I asked for the last session to be added to start up options and it was added in on the next release. All that needs to be fixed now is that it opens when the browser is started via clicking on an outside link.

14 hours ago, Paul Corfield said:

I have MX5 set to open the last session tab on startup. If I don't have MX5 running and I say for instance click on a link in an email, MX5 opens to display the email link webpage but it doesn't also open the last session tab at the same time when the browser starts up. This also used to happen in MX4 but not all the time, quite often MX4 would open an email link and also display the about:last tab too.

So I thought I'd tell MX5 to open a homepage on startup and I set mx://last-visit/  as my homepage. Opening the browser opens the last session page but when I closed the browser and clicked on a link in an email, MX5 just opened with the email link and no homepage tabs are opened. As long as I remember I can open a new tab and just click the 'home' icon and the last-visit tab will then open. With my wife and two children using the browser it's not a perfect solution for me to not lose my last session tab.

I'd like a way to safeguard the mx://last-visit/ tab so that I don't lose it. 'Lock tab' is grayed out and isn't an option for the last-visit tab but some way of locking it would be good.

Could the last-visit tab be written to the history when the browser is closed, that would be a good way to get back multiple 'last sessions' as long as the history hadn't been deleted?

Paul.

To my way ofmthinking, MX5 is behaving perfectly logically.   When you click on a link you want to go there not some where else.  But I do see a problem if multiple people (wife and kids) are using the same account.  In that case mx://last-visit is likely NOT to be your last-session.  Each of you needs to use your own account last-session.  Each of you needs to use a separate account to keep separate last sessions.

Using the HOME button to bring up last session is a good idea.  But don't forget there is already a last session button on the Quick Access page.

<<SL>>

8 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

To my way ofmthinking, MX5 is behaving perfectly logically.   When you click on a link you want to go there not some where else.  But I do see a problem if multiple people (wife and kids) are using the same account.  In that case mx://last-visit is likely NOT to be your last-session.  Each of you needs to use your own account last-session.  Each of you needs to use a separate account to keep separate last sessions.

Using the HOME button to bring up last session is a good idea.  But don't forget there is already a last session button on the Quick Access page.

<<SL>>

I tend to read all my emails first thing in the morning while I drink my coffee. Then I might start my browsing session by clicking on an email link and from there do the rest of my browsing before heading into my art studio to start work. So having the last-visit tab opening in all instances seems more logical to me. In the past, if I clicked on a link in an email then MX4 opened with the last session tab at the same time, so basically 2 tabs would open at start up, the about:last tab and the email link. The beauty of the about:last in MX4 and last-visit tab in MX5 is that sessions are stored on top of each other and you can have links on it that you visited months ago. I don't necessarily want to open all of those pages but the list is there as a daily reminder to me of things to follow up. The last session on the quick access is of little use in that respect because it's only the pages that were open on the last close. As I'm running a business, it's a nice system to have in place rather than tuck everything away in favorites. When I close the browser the long list is still saved for next time and any open tabs are tagged onto that list. As a back up I can access that long list via the HOME button, it wouldn't be available via the last session button because the last-visit tab isn't seen as a regular tab to be saved. When the list is a few weeks long then I tend to open all the pages on it and do a block save into a folder as an extra back up. I can't be the only person who likes to use it this way. 

My wife and kids are just casual browsers and only visit one or two pages per day, sometimes only per week via my desktop PC. They wouldn't want to have to remember to log me out and then log into their own accounts each time they wanted to visit a web site. For the few favorites that they need they just have a folder on the favorites bar titled with their names.

12 hours ago, Paul Corfield said:

I tend to read all my emails first thing in the morning while I drink my coffee. Then I might start my browsing session by clicking on an email link and from there do the rest of my browsing before heading into my art studio to start work. So having the last-visit tab opening in all instances seems more logical to me. In the past, if I clicked on a link in an email then MX4 opened with the last session tab at the same time, so basically 2 tabs would open at start up, the about:last tab and the email link. The beauty of the about:last in MX4 and last-visit tab in MX5 is that sessions are stored on top of each other and you can have links on it that you visited months ago. I don't necessarily want to open all of those pages but the list is there as a daily reminder to me of things to follow up. The last session on the quick access is of little use in that respect because it's only the pages that were open on the last close. As I'm running a business, it's a nice system to have in place rather than tuck everything away in favorites. When I close the browser the long list is still saved for next time and any open tabs are tagged onto that list. As a back up I can access that long list via the HOME button, it wouldn't be available via the last session button because the last-visit tab isn't seen as a regular tab to be saved. When the list is a few weeks long then I tend to open all the pages on it and do a block save into a folder as an extra back up. I can't be the only person who likes to use it this way. 

My wife and kids are just casual browsers and only visit one or two pages per day, sometimes only per week via my desktop PC. They wouldn't want to have to remember to log me out and then log into their own accounts each time they wanted to visit a web site. For the few favorites that they need they just have a folder on the favorites bar titled with their names.

Sounds like a nice way of working for you, Thanks for explaining and particularily for enlightening me (and now perhaps others) about the difference between Last Session and about:last-visit.  I didn't know that although I have seen the same in the Online History page at the Maxthon Passport site.

<<SL>>

On 10/3/2016 at 4:36 PM, Paul Corfield said:

MX5 opens to display the email link webpage but it doesn't also open the last session tab at the same time when the browser starts up.

Hi Paul, thanks for reporting and your detailed explanation.

So you are mainly asking for that we add "open last session" during opening a link outside to start the browser?

Just make sure I understand you correctly. :1f603:

47 minutes ago, BugSir006 said:

So you are mainly asking for that we add "open last session" during opening a link outside to start the browser?

I may be correct or I may be wrong here, but I think that Paul might be asking for the browser to open with 'last session', the way it did in Maxthon 4 and one of it's best features, correct me if I am wrong Paul. My personal advice would be to use Maxthon 4, as it mostly works, except with Facebook, and does not have the perplexing Infobox.

What Paul wants is when he clicks on an email link, he wants Maxthon to open with the email link and with the last session also.  The way Maxthon responds now with a click on an email link is that Maxthon just opens with that email link in a tab and nothing else. 

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

17 hours ago, dagoz said:

I may be correct or I may be wrong here, but I think that Paul might be asking for the browser to open with 'last session', the way it did in Maxthon 4 and one of it's best features,

Actually, in our latest beta version 5.0.1.1700, the "last session" is almost the same as that in MX4. Everyone is so welcome to have a try.

You can download here and have a try ;)

http://www.maxthon.com/beta/

On 08/10/2016 at 1:08 PM, BugSir006 said:

That's correct. If MX5 opens from me clicking a link from something like an email then I'd like it to also open my mx://last-visit/ tab which I have set to open as default in the settings. This is how MX4 works.

10 hours ago, Paul Corfield said:

That's correct. If MX5 opens from me clicking a link from something like an email then I'd like it to also open my mx://last-visit/ tab which I have set to open as default in the settings. This is how MX4 works.

Alright, thanks for your reply. I've forwarded your suggestion to our product manager! 

On 10/8/2016 at 9:48 PM, No.1MaxthonFan said:

What Paul wants is when he clicks on an email link, he wants Maxthon to open with the email link and with the last session also.  The way Maxthon responds now with a click on an email link is that Maxthon just opens with that email link in a tab and nothing else. 

Thanks for your post No.1MaxthonFan, dear. :1f61c:

Archived