BOOKMARKS - SORT IT OUT

Michael77

I, like I am sure many others made the switch to Maxthon for various reasons.

Mine included a move through ms explorer, fire fox & chrome because it was originally less bloated than the latter.

Chrome had issues with flash etc.. & finally it all became a bit too 'big brother' for my liking.

Maxthon felt lighter & faster, while it might not have had all the bells & whistles, it did what I asked & the Adblock worked & still does better than on other browsers.

Do the developers really wish to alienate their small but loyal user base by refusing to allow them to export their bookmarks?

The infobox feature, while I am sure is well intended it does not really have a lot of fans, I have resigned myself to trying to work with it, but for many reasons which have been outlined in other threads it still feels like a chore rather than a convenience. Even if we could right click on a bookmark or tab to open it in infobox with its functions, then edit the bookmark or the folder its contained in, also being unable to delete bookmarks & move their order in the folder without entering the infobox is just antagonising.

I don't know if the various moderators / admins have an actual direct connection with the developers & can correspond grievances the users have, but judging by some of the replies to queries....such as '' lets hope its fixed in the next update''....'' I think it is something they are considering '' .... '' it might happen in the next release '' makes me wonder do they have any influence at all...or are some here as fan-boys to police the forums in a juvenile manner such as closing threads which have litany of complaints.

We are all adults here after all.

That said, & before this thread goes unpublished or is locked.....at least it is good to see there is replies to questions answered to their best abilities.

I have been working with computers mac & pc going back to the days of the commodore 64, while I am no expert coder, I can only come to the conclusion that the feature to allow the export of bookmarks is an attempt to keep a user faithful to Maxthon. What you may fail to realise is that all other major browsers allow this, while a new update of windows 10 may default to edge becoming the default browser , its always possible to change. Does Maxthon want to create a walled garden for its users?

I got into the habit of exporting my bookmarks every few weeks to an external drive over the years for obvious reasons. To rely on only Maxthon to restore my bookmarks from the cloud to a fresh install of the browser is not good enough.

I will admit to bookmarking sites/pages so long ago that when I stumble across them the site in some cases is gone, I'm pretty sure I have bookmarked sites in haste that I probably didn't need to to. The reality is though, we have all found ourselves trying to recall a site address from memory long after we bookmarked it, changed browser etc..only to realise it was on another browser, maybe even a pc. It really is akin to not being able to download your files from googledrive, onedrive etc..sure you can log-in & access the files but you can keep a copy for yourself. You may say well they are only bookmarks...& not like a photograph, but how may people have found an address, work place of an old friend, link to a medical issue, a legal help site etc.. & bookmarked it 'just in case'. So bookmarks should be treated as such 'marked'. I have seen screen grabs of other users work related bookmarks show in infobox when discussing this issue...what if you were to lose all your work related bookmarks tomorrow? Did some user on these forums say he had lost all his skynotes?

I made backups of bookmarks before the upgrade to MX5, they in turn were imported from chrome previously, but I have since added many more to MX5 since, it was only when I got a notification of an MX5 update did I realise that I could not export them. For some this may not be a major issue, but from now I think I am going to have to fireup a fresh copy a edge & while the only option of exporting 1 bookmark at a time from MX5 is not feasible, at least I know the safety of any new additions will be in my hands.

Granted its a beta...but the bookmarks issue is not complicated to implement

Can we please have a response from a developer this time with a definitive answer...I like MX5 very much, in fact I would even pay an optional sub fee for features, but if it was the intention to develop an alternative browser with the sole purpose of monetising / selling it on / getting in to bed with the likes of Uber etc,,.that sounds like someone out to make a quick buck.

After that rant I want to say good job on MX5 otherwise...yeah I have had other issues..every favicon defaulting to an msexplorer icons for some reason, no spellcheck etc..

Those I can live with...my bookmarks I cannot.

Peace.

Good post.

8 hours ago, Michael77 said:

I don't know if the various moderators / admins have an actual direct connection with the developers & can correspond grievances the users have,

No, we don't. We have the same access that you do - post here and pray that someone that matters reads it and does something with it.

Even if we could right click on a bookmark or tab to open it in infobox with its functions, then edit the bookmark or the folder its contained in, also being unable to delete bookmarks & move their order in the folder without entering the infobox is just antagonising.

Yep. I've been saying this since it's inception. Needs more tweaks to make it more of a bookmark launcher/manager rather than a note taking app, Can definitely be done.. so long as the dev's are on the same page.

or are some here as fan-boys to police the forums in a juvenile manner such as closing threads which have litany of complaints.

If they're closed, there's a good reason. Not just because of complaints.

in fact I would even pay an optional sub fee for features,

Now, now, let's not give them any stupid ideas.

I can only come to the conclusion that the feature to allow the export of bookmarks is an attempt to keep a user faithful to Maxthon.

Every version till now has had that feature. I can only guess that as of right now it hasn't been implemented, possibly due to the combining of favourites and skynote, so you can't export as they were traditionally to a HTML file.

EG, you export to a html file, but chrome then baulks at the file as the skynote data screws things up. Just a guess though. They just need to figure out a way to keep note data separate from favourites, or allow a folder to be exported.

Archived