Print page

9 minutes ago, Sergey_K said:

It is desirable not to display unit in inches, and preferably in millimeters.

PrintPage.jpg

why is it desirable - not for me - i understand inches as do many other users - it may be desirable to be given choice - but it thats not possible then inches are fine for many i would suggest

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

2 hours ago, Kreator-2 said:

Choice is right way. International measurement system allows meters, but inches are historical for many people, so it should be changeable.

inches are not historical in the UK and certainly not in the US - just as centigrade is incorrect when measuring temperature - the metric system has been muted for 50 years in the UK and has never become standard - the same applies in much stronger terms in the US

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

International System of Units ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units )  does not recommend the use of measurements in inches!

See this doc (on page 14 "Annex B"): http://www.fundmetrology.ru/depository/04_IntDoc_all/D_E_2.pdf  

In millimeters are now measured everything and everywhere, and inches - it's old unit.

Inch is historical for every people, every has its own historical inch - length of a thumb nail-bone. Now Netherlands inch is most popular - 2.54 cm. After the international measurement system SI was created, metric became standard for most countries. But some still use inches as main system or along with metric one. In Russia inches are now used for tubes, PC and phone parts (display, disk size), wheel disks and few other things traditionally. But metric is standard here, I'd much faster realize how much is 1cm than 0.4". But, well, 5" smartphone is something I imagine faster :)

Clearly a bug or oversight. All programs should be adhering to the system settings for units/time etc. If they don't they should offer the option to select.

I find it odd that people think this isn't an issue just because it happens to agree with the units they prefer. 

21 hours ago, Tony said:

inches are not historical in the UK and certainly not in the US

I think he meant in use for a very long time, not that they are no longer in use.

FYI Chrome uses metric on my system as I would expect. So seems the MX team hasn't done something to ensure it uses system settings or similar.

Hi everyone here, thank you @Sergey_K for starting this discussion. 

On 2016/8/22 at 10:31 PM, Kreator-2 said:

so it should be changeable.

This is a nice proposal, and I'll forward this to our product team to see if it's possible to make it optional.

Thank you all for discussing and proposing. 

A better product cannot stand alone without all your help and suggestions!

On 24/8/2016 at 11:48 AM, BugSir006 said:

This is a nice proposal, and I'll forward this to our product team to see if it's possible to make it optional.

in addition to the above, measure unit should be optional

On 23/8/2016 at 2:32 PM, 7twenty said:

Clearly a bug or oversight. All programs should be adhering to the system settings for units/time etc. If they don't they should offer the option to select.

I find it odd that people think this isn't an issue just because it happens to agree with the units they prefer. 

FYI Chrome uses metric on my system as I would expect. So seems the MX team hasn't done something to ensure it uses system settings or similar.

could not agree more !!!

sigmax2.png

Archived