Infobox, PassKeeper and UUMail translation

A.S.

We have a few questions about translations of several terms from MX5...

1. Should we translate UUMail?
I think we should not. Because UUMail is independent service, this is another MX project and UUMail is available for any browser. So UUMail have to be "UUMail" in all localizations, because UUMail can be a trademark. 

2. Should we translate PassKeeper?

I think we should not too. But some translators from Russia think that we should translate PassKeeper as "менеджер паролей" (passwords manager) or "хранитель паролей" (passwprds keeper). I can not agree with this:

• If MX he wanted us to translate PassKeeper, they called it "Passwords Keeper". If they thought that PassKeeper is just "passwords manager" in MX5, they called it just "passwords manager". If MX used "PassKeeper term for this, we have to use the same term in localizations.
  • What if PassKeeper will be a standalone application (app for smartphones or extension for other browser)? This will help to attract new users. And this is possible. Do you remember SkyNote? There was not SkyNote in MX for Android, but we had standalone SkyNote app. But users from Russia did not know about this and did not use it, because thay did not know about SkyNote. SkyNotes in Russian localization of MX3 and MX4 is just "Заметки" (note). 

SkyNote is notes, but note, but note is not SkyNote!
The same story with PassKeeper: PassKeeper is passwords manager, but passwords manager is not PassKeeper!

3. Should we translate Infobox?

This is a more complex issue. Because Infobox is not word, Infobox is information box. In Russian this is "информационный ящик" или "информационная коробка". Shoud we translate it as "инфоящик"? I don't think so. I think we could use "инфобокс" (just Russian transcription), but... Look at this:

first-beta-of-maxthon-5-shows-browser-ev

Imagine that you see Infobox in Russian, PassKeeper in English or Russian and UUMail in English. It combines very bad! So I think on this page we should use English terms for all localizations. But I think we can use "менеджер паролей" (passwprd manager) when we talk about Settings, and we can use "инфобокс" or "Инфобокс" when we talk about "Add to Infobox" in context menu. It will look better. 

We can invent own terms as someone from Spain suggest, but this is very bad idea. If we want to have united community, we have to use unified terms. MX had to give SkyNote to users around the world, but Russian users never had SkyNote: they used just note and did not know what is SkyNote. It was mistake and now it's repeated!

P.S.
Do you know how AdHunter has been translated into Russian? Ad-Охотник, Hell Hunter!

Agree with you. They're defining features of the browser and having them all in English makes it more cohesive.

PassKeeper is the name of the password manager.
UUmail is the name of the email service.
Infobox is name of the info management UI.

The same way that Maxthon is the name of the browser.

For those reasons they should not be translated.

14 hours ago, A.S. said:

There was not SkyNote in MX for Android, but we had standalone SkyNote app. But users from Russia did not know about this and did not use it, because thay did not know about SkyNote. SkyNotes in Russian localization of MX3 and MX4 is just "Заметки" (note). 

Do not exaggerate! Never, for example, I did not translated the word/name SkyNote :tap:

As UUMail. And the thoughts did not occur.

And SkyNote application was used in android: who needs it was, they used it ...

By the way, when do not need to translate some terms, he is accordingly denoted in Crowdin (as a term that does not require translation) ... So in this a big fault was not of translators. ;)

5 hours ago, ALeXkRU said:

Never, for example, I did not translated the word/name SkyNote. 

It means that MX used not your translation. All what you do on RuBoad is very cool, but how many people know about RuBoard? And how many people know what you do there?
Sniffer has not been translated. Why SkyNote and AdHunter has?

P.S. And where is extension for ABP:D
People who tested it (2 or 3 persons) still use it and make updates manually. I still don't understand how it works.

Archived