How to change skins on maxthon5

Lazy_Mangobee

1 hour ago, Lazy_Mangobee said:

I can download the skin, but there is no button on my menu to change the skin. .

Important: all files must be decompressed in the following directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\maxthon\Bin\ or C:\Program Files\maxthon\Bin\

1 hour ago, john doe said:

Important: all files must be decompressed in the following directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\maxthon\Bin\ or C:\Program Files\maxthon\Bin\

and back up the original files before, in case you want to go back to default skin ! :wink:

sigmax2.png

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, soaringeagle said:

When will we see Mx 5 skins again.  They seem to have disappeared.  The skins for 5.01 don't work with 5.02

skins are down to the members who post them - mainly Wilser and he has decided to withdraw support and the download links 

5.01 skins do work on 5.02 - they have changed the 0.dat and 1.dat name to UIHuge and UIMain.dat - caught me out  :arf: but its as simple as renaming the files 

• Like 1
Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

1 hour ago, Tony said:

skins are down to the members who post them - mainly Wilser and he has decided to withdraw support and the download links 

5.01 skins do work on 5.02 - they have changed the 0.dat and 1.dat name to UIHuge and UIMain.dat - caught me out  :arf: but its as simple as renaming the files 

It is as simple as renaming the files, but I think you flipped the names:  0.dat > UIMain.dat and 1.dat > UIHuge/dat.

But be aware that things are chabging so things may not continue to work in later versions.  [@tony I know you know this, but all don't.]

<<SL>> 

3 hours ago, Tony said:

they have changed the 0.dat and 1.dat name to UIHuge and UIMain.dat - caught me out  :arf: but its as simple as renaming the files 

1 hour ago, soaringeagle said:

Thanks Tony.  

But you need to know that those skins aren't full compatible with new mx builds...

Of course, you can rename those 0/1 files to UIxxx.dat, but after that you can't select anymore your folders for saving notes/ favs.

Check screenshot, please.

Notatka20161124000039.png

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You can change the skin by clicking the t-shirt icon in the tab bar, but it only changes the overall color. I wish there was a way to change seperate elements of the browser. I've spent hours trying to get a dark (near black) tab bar with a near white active tab and tool bar with SLIGHTLY darker (from near white) inactive tabs. Nothing crazing. Simple but seems like an impossibility.

Right now, with the default MX5 skin, there's hardly no visual separation in the inactive tabs and the text in the inactive tabs are way too light. Also, the tabs aren't wide enough in my opinion. They should be another .25" to .375" wider.

Edited by jseeley

15 hours ago, jseeley said:

You can change the skin by clicking the t-shirt icon in the tab bar, but it only changes the overall color. I wish there was a way to change seperate elements of the browser. I've spent hours trying to get a dark (near black) tab bar with a near white active tab and tool bar with SLIGHTLY darker (from near white) inactive tabs. Nothing crazing. Simple but seems like an impossibility.

Right now, with the default MX5 skin, there's hardly no visual separation in the inactive tabs and the text in the inactive tabs are way too light. Also, the tabs aren't wide enough in my opinion. They should be another .25" to .375" wider.

I sympathize (no "empathize") with you.  I've wanted a return of the way *.mxskin files could be loaded in Mx4/  I made some mods to suit my desires.  But my inclination was to reduce the heights of the tabbar and navbar and the widths of the tabs ... sometimes as little as 3/4' (72 dip compared to the 232px they have by defaault).

I've been told that making it so that *.mxskin (full skin not theme) can be loaded.  But a new core is higher priority at present.  After that the devs may work on implementing skin loading.  I hope they follow through on their discussions.  We shall see.

<<SL>>

1 hour ago, SnowLeopard said:

I sympathize (no "empathize") with you.  I've wanted a return of the way *.mxskin files could be loaded in Mx4/  I made some mods to suit my desires.  But my inclination was to reduce the heights of the tabbar and navbar and the widths of the tabs ... sometimes as little as 3/4' (72 dip compared to the 232px they have by defaault).

I've been told that making it so that *.mxskin (full skin not theme) can be loaded.  But a new core is higher priority at present.  After that the devs may work on implementing skin loading.  I hope they follow through on their discussions.  We shall see.

<<SL>>

Thanks. It was easy to manipulate the mx3 and mx4 user.dat but now I'm lost. It doesn't help that I was away from maxthon for a while. I managed to adjust a few things like removing the 'x' from the active tab, spreading-out the items on the fav bar, and removing the black window border. I made the text and favicons on the inactive tabs full opacity, and enlarged the text on both the tabs and address bar.  But changing the colors of the tabbar and active/inactive tabs and toolbar are a mystery as well as making the default tab wider.

Edited by jseeley

9 hours ago, jseeley said:

But changing the colors of the tabbar and active/inactive tabs and toolbar are a mystery as well as making the default tab wider.

There's a setting in the skin3.ini file (in UImain.dat) for maxTabWidth = 220,232

Based on it's name i'd say it will do what you want, but can't be certain. Haven't played around with it.

And the tab colours can be changed in the constants.css file (or skin_c_dark_const.css if using a dark skin), also in UImain.dat

@const TAB_ACTIVE_BG:
@const TAB_BG:

Set those to whatever colour you want. Again, not tested, but looks to be what you want.

14 hours ago, 7twenty said:

There's a setting in the skin3.ini file (in UImain.dat) for maxTabWidth = 220,232

Based on it's name i'd say it will do what you want, but can't be certain. Haven't played around with it.

And the tab colours can be changed in the constants.css file (or skin_c_dark_const.css if using a dark skin), also in UImain.dat

@const TAB_ACTIVE_BG:
@const TAB_BG:

Set those to whatever colour you want. Again, not tested, but looks to be what you want.

Thank you so much. I thought I tried these and it had no effect. As a matter of fact, I think I removed the entire constants.css or some of it (can't remember because I tried so many things) and it had very little effect on the colors.  I'll retry these however. Thanks.

EDIT:  If I remember correctly, changing @const TAB_ACTIVE_BG and  @const TAB_BG in the mx4 user.dat did change the colors.  I'll go back and mess around again this evening. Thx

Edited by jseeley

Yes. I stand corrected with the constants.css. I didn't have the default skin selected. After selecting the default blue maxthon skin, I can now change the colors. Thx.  Still looking for a way to make the default tab size larger.

Edited by jseeley

26 minutes ago, jseeley said:

I was correct. None of these settings effect the colors or default tab width.

I think the settings in skin.ini may be outer bounds for tabs.  The actual settings for the tabbar are in UImain/main/tabbar/index.css and for the tabs themselves in UImain/main/tabbar/container.css.  The constants used are in constants.css or skin_c_dark.css.  You can ignore the latter two files and just insert you color choices in container.css or tabbar/index.css directly.

Hope this gets you started ...

<<SL>>

10 minutes ago, SnowLeopard said:

I think the settings in skin.ini may be outer bounds for tabs.  The actual settings for the tabbar are in UImain/main/tabbar/index.css and for the tabs themselves in UImain/main/tabbar/container.css.  The constants used are in constants.css or skin_c_dark.css.  You can ignore the latter two files and just insert you color choices in container.css or tabbar/index.css directly.

Hope this gets you started ...

<<SL>>

Thank you. I'm getting there.  I just found, to change the tabbar color:

UIMain\main\index.css

background-color: #d1ddef;

5 hours ago, jseeley said:

I'm pretty much done with my skin customization. The only thing I still cannot find is to increase the standard width of the tabs. When it's completed, I'll post my .dat files to the skin section.

Change this in constants.css in UIMain:

Tabs */
@const TAB_MAX_WIDTH: 184dip;

One shot does it all.

BTW that width is 1.92 inches on a PC regardless of screen size.resolution.  For me it  may too big.  But determine how wide you want the tabs in inches and multiply by 96 to get width in dip.

<<SL>>

Edited by SnowLeopard

9 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

Change this in constants.css in UIMain:

Tabs */
@const TAB_MAX_WIDTH: 184dip;

One shot does it all.

BTW that width is 1.92 inches on a PC regardless of screen size.resolution.  For me it  may too big.  But determine how wide you want the tabs in inches and multiply by 96 to get width in dip.

<<SL>>

Thanks for the reply. My constants.css in UIMain reads @const TAB_MAX_WIDTH: 184dip; and my tab is about 2.125 inches where it should be 1.92 inches but I'm trying to make it wider. (My firefox tabs are about 3" wide and start shrinking when I have more than 6 tabs across.)

However, when I change the @const TAB_MAX_WIDTH: 184dip; to say 280dip the tab width is unaffected. Thank you.

EDIT: The TAB_MAX_WIDTH is referenced 3 times in UIMain\main\tabbar\container.css and I also tried changing them each to 280dip from @TAB_MAX_WIDTH but still no effect.

Edited by jseeley

6 hours ago, jseeley said:

Thanks for the reply. My constants.css in UIMain reads @const TAB_MAX_WIDTH: 184dip; and my tab is about 2.125 inches where it should be 1.92 inches but I'm trying to make it wider. (My firefox tabs are about 3" wide and start shrinking when I have more than 6 tabs across.)

However, when I change the @const TAB_MAX_WIDTH: 184dip; to say 280dip the tab width is unaffected. Thank you.

EDIT: The TAB_MAX_WIDTH is referenced 3 times in UIMain\main\tabbar\container.css and I also tried changing them each to 280dip from @TAB_MAX_WIDTH but still no effect.

Maybe (untested) the max tab width parameter skin.ini is overriding the constant.  Try changing both.but don't forget the skin.ini parameter has two values (without and with padding).

BTW, I left you a PM about how you got Firefox to be one bar (tab+nav bar..  Since then I found the Mozilla Labs "OneLine" addon, but decided not to try it since it's identified by them as experimental, opens up FF and its data, and one comment about how to revert.  Not my cup of tea for now.  Is this what you're using?

<<SL>>

5 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

Maybe (untested) the max tab width parameter skin.ini is overriding the constant.  Try changing both.but don't forget the skin.ini parameter has two values (without and with padding).

BTW, I left you a PM about how you got Firefox to be one bar (tab+nav bar..  Since then I found the Mozilla Labs "OneLine" addon, but decided not to try it since it's identified by them as experimental, opens up FF and its data, and one comment about how to revert.  Not my cup of tea for now.  Is this what you're using?

<<SL>>

Thanks again for the help. I increased all numbers in @const TAB_MAX_WIDTH: 184dip;(contants.css) and  both sets of maxTabWidth = 220,232 (skin.ini). As a matter of fact, I removed all of these lines from the .css and .ini and there's still no change in tab width. The tab width seems to be specified from somewhere else. 

In Firefox, I don't think that was me. I have tabs on top and then the nav bar with address bar below that and then I use the fav bar. Thx.

Edited by jseeley

4 hours ago, jseeley said:

Thanks again for the help. I increased all numbers in @const TAB_MAX_WIDTH: 184dip;(contants.css) and  both sets of maxTabWidth = 220,232 (skin.ini). As a matter of fact, I removed all of these lines from the .css and .ini and there's still no change in tab width. The tab width seems to be specified from somewhere else. 

In Firefox, I don't think that was me. I have tabs on top and then the nav bar with address bar below that and then I use the fav bar. Thx.

i think the max width is hard coded - its certainly possible to change settings to reduce the tab width from that set but altering those same settings to a lager number has no effect so i think you are stuck wit what they have as a max

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

On 10/16/2017 at 3:15 AM, Tony said:

i think the max width is hard coded - its certainly possible to change settings to reduce the tab width from that set but altering those same settings to a lager number has no effect so i think you are stuck wit what they have as a max

Thanks so much Tony. I know there's a minimum tab width of 16dip in main\tabbar\container.css but that's the minimum crunch-down width before they start running off the page and start scrolling. Other than that, I haven't noticed anything.

EDIT: If anyone can add any additional info on how to increase the tab width, it will be greatly appreciated. In my opinion, the default tab width is not wide enough. Why make the default tab width so small when there are no or a couple of additional tabs on the tabbar? Waste of space. Most of the website names are so truncated on these tabs, it's hard to make them out.

Edited by jseeley

• 1 month later...