Help: Installing new PC mx5 Alpha has reset all my MX4 settings

39 minutes ago, -ody- said:

maybe you can try this for favs : http://fav.maxthon.com/api/fav/manager

Link doesn't work (very slow and then shows an empty table).

The settings were all local. This is the first time I logged in to the account in order to use Maxthon (as mx5 required it, and I just wanted to try it out).

I've now tried to uninstall mx5 (because a lot don't work there, not even scripts on Greasemonkey), and everything was reset again. 

In fact, now that mx4 is logged in, a lot of maxthon related websites are very slow. Even the extensions website.

1 minute ago, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

Link doesn't work (very slow and then shows an empty table).

The settings were all local. This is the first time I logged in to the account in order to use Maxthon (as mx5 required it, and I just wanted to try it out).

I've now tried to uninstall mx5, and everything was reset again. 

In fact, now that mx4 is logged in, a lot of maxthon related websites are very slow. Even the extensions website.

same here.. very slow

sigmax2.png

7 minutes ago, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

I think the FTP server also cannot connect. 

All my passwords, all my favs, all plugins, all settings, all notes.... everything is gone.

Why would a sync remove things? It should only add things.

depending on what is synced.. online to local or local to online ? 

sigmax2.png

1st try logging in with 4 - all your stuff may come back as they  may be still in the user dir - if it does not - do you have a recent backup - if so restore the maxthon3 folder in user/appdata - and then log in with MX4 that should give you all your stuff back - next bit is - i think - you then need to log in to passport on 4 and let it sync - log out and then log into 5

5 needs a passport and as everything is/was local what has happened is correct - stupid but correct - you have nothing on the MX servers so its synced that to your MX5 install 

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

15 hours ago, -ody- said:

depending on what is synced.. online to local or local to online ? 

It shouldn't depend on either of them. Nothing should be removed. I've set those settings for years. 

14 hours ago, Tony said:

1st try logging in with 4 - all your stuff may come back as they  may be still in the user dir - if it does not - do you have a recent backup - if so restore the maxthon3 folder in user/appdata - and then log in with MX4 that should give you all your stuff back - next bit is - i think - you then need to log in to passport on 4 and let it sync - log out and then log into 5

5 needs a passport and as everything is/was local what has happened is correct - stupid but correct - you have nothing on the MX servers so its synced that to your MX5 install 

I already have tried to login in mx4. Didn't help.

The login phase is something I only did recently, which removed all that I had before.

Syncing with something that doesn't exist should remove existing data.

Imagine a user that have always used local settings, and then decided to try out the login feature, yet instead of staying with the same settings (and even saving them, like on Android), it removes all that he has collected. This is what I had. That's a huge bug.

7 hours ago, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

It shouldn't depend on either of them. Nothing should be removed. I've set those settings for years. 

where have you set this ? there's no option to choose what you sync in Mx5... neither how sync works (from local to cloud or from cloud to local). sync occurs each time you launch the browser.

sigmax2.png

2 hours ago, -ody- said:

where have you set this ? there's no option to choose what you sync in Mx5... neither how sync works (from local to cloud or from cloud to local). sync occurs each time you launch the browser.

I didn't say I could set the syncing settings.
I only logged in, and it ruined all saved stuff on both mx5 and mx4. 

I said that it shouldn't: It should not remove what I've saved. It should not reset anything. 

If you want a clean install, do it for MX5, without affecting MX4 . If you want to allow to import settings from MX4, add this feature, in addition to syncing. 

The syncing should never reset settings. 

Only similar thing I meant about sync-setting is this : In Android, for example, if you create multiple contacts in the address book, and set them to be stored on the device, and then you log in to Google account and choose to sync the contacts, it adds the synced contacts, and doesn't remove the saved ones.

Archived