flash dll

Can someone tell me why maxthon still uses an outdated flash.dll, while it would be easier and safer to let the system manage flash dll

new users will just uninstall the program because they think it's buggy, old users may try to understand what happens and ask on the forum, but then they will have to manually update the dll 

it's been said thousands of time, flash is still there, users are gone

it looks like unconscious suicide

sigmax2.png

conscious i would say - if it can be upgraded by users it can be included in the install file so being generous [for once] is it a permission or cost thing - its free for end users to install but is that true when included in an install package

not that i expect an answer to anything we ask - then again there is a first time for everything 

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

Why shouldn't maxthon use an external dll like other browsers do : if you don't need flash, you don't download it, if you need it, you download it from adobe site, and it has its own updater.

sigmax2.png

I think that's a very good idea.  We need lots of input from users in the hopes that they will do something about it.  Maxthon cannot be considered a "modern" browser if they continue like this.

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

• -ody- pinned and unpinned this topic
5 hours ago, No.1MaxthonFan said:

I think that's a very good idea.  We need lots of input from users in the hopes that they will do something about it.  Maxthon cannot be considered a "modern" browser if they continue like this.

moved

sigmax2.png

On 2016/5/9 at 10:45 AM, No.1MaxthonFan said:

Then why don't other browsers have this problem?

Our developers are trying to solve this problem. 

maybe this is a part of the reason why they make MX5. I think it will bring multiple improvements, because it will change the core.

On 2016/5/9 at 11:17 AM, BugMiss006 said:

Our developers are trying to solve this problem. 

maybe this is a part of the reason why they make MX5. I think it will bring multiple improvements, because it will change the core.

I don't request an upgrade, I would like devs to remove it and let maxthon use (if needed) the system dll instead

sigmax2.png

8 minutes ago, -ody- said:

I don't request an upgrade, I would like devs to remove it and let maxthon use (if needed) the system dll instead

Wow, I wasn't even aware of this. Do you know how old the Flash dll Maxthon is using? 

On 2016/5/9 at 1:26 PM, -ody- said:

I know your meaning,dear~ those words only answer for No.1 MaxthonFun's question~

I understand you and we all want the browser become better~

11 minutes ago, BugMiss006 said:

I know your meaning,dear~ those words only answer for No.1 MaxthonFun's question~

I understand you dear and we all want the browser become better~

• flash issues are the most reported here, the workaround we offer is complicated (replacing the dll) or uses an external tool (Truuc's).
  • Flash is becoming obsolete since major video sites like youtube use HTML5 instead
  • old versions of flash have security issues 

as an end user I can see only inconveniences to have flash as an internal dll. 

PS : "No.1 MaxthonFun" :arf:

sigmax2.png

22 hours ago, -ody- said:

old versions of flash have security issues 

That alone should be the #1 reason it should always be up to date. But issues occurring because of using an older flash would be 2nd on the list.

I'm guessing due to the way Flash is incorporated in the latest version, the deleting the flash plugin option doesn't work anymore. Chrome has it's own auto update (and I think is blocked by default). FF blocks Flash and only enabled if requested.

At the very least MX should come with the latest version at the time of release. But preferably just use the version installed on the system.

If MX can make a HTML5 popup video player, then as far as i'm concerned Flash can die... doesn't worry me.

5 hours ago, 7twenty said:

If MX can make a HTML5 popup video player, then as far as i'm concerned Flash can die

Well, Flash cannot die just yet as there are a lot of pages that will be using it for many years to come.

5 hours ago, 7twenty said:

But issues occurring because of using an older flash would be 2nd on the list.

Don't think so.  Most new users will abandon Maxthon when they can't get a Flash video to run.  I know, I know, it's not logical, but when something doesn't work right the first time, they will find something that does.  People are impatient.

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

10 hours ago, No.1MaxthonFan said:

I know, I know, it's not logical, but when something doesn't work right the first time, they will find something that does.  People are impatient.

True, but at the same time why should a user have to or need to stuff about with things like that, when they can install FF or Chrome and just have it work? That's the whole issue.

IMO MX caters to the everyday crowd (given no advanced flags or options etc) that just want the browser to work. Meaning having the most recent stable version of flash should be something that is available to ensure these users have the best possible experience. From what I recall, they use an older version to ensure just that, but given the amount of security updates flash gets, it's by far not the best option.

The simpler solution is to let mx use an available flash on the system if present, or the builtin one if not. So user that know what flash is will be safe, while those that must expect thing to work out of the box will have it... But again, the policy of updating the built in versio should be more frequent given the security holes flash has!!!

Archived