How to remove Address bar for kiosk mode?

I'm running maxthon portable 4.4.8.2000.  Is it possible to configure the browser to not show/disable the address bar?  I need to bring up a page via command-line, which works great, but I don't want the users to have the ability to browse anywhere else.  So far this is the only browser I've found that works in WinPE 10, Firefox and chrome portables fail.

Thanks!

its possible - in fact its easy but not foolproof - one line of code in UI.dat needs commenting out or a custom skin but if a user wants the address bar back they would simply have to import another skin

to make it foolproof would need more work if in fact it was possible 

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

What line in UI.dat?  How do I edit it?  How do I skin it? 

I'm in search mode, so I'm trying several different browsers and have no clue about them yet and, of course, I'm in a time crunch.  If you have any other tips, please let me know.

Thanks!

http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/15972-maxthon-34-skin-sdk-v1117-english-version/

as i say its easy enough to block the address box - its just as easy to block the whole navbar line but that blocks all other functions in that area - doing the latter means its difficult to load another skin - blocking just the address box leave open the option to load any other skin and hence bring the address box back

you might be better looking at the 4.9 branch - that does not support loading of 3rd party skins yet - the address box could be blocked though

Tony,

Thanks for the link.  I want to block the entire nav bar and I don't care about being able to load a skin later.  This is a very specific usage of the browser, just want to browser to pop up and show a page and not allow the user to do anything other than what is in the page.

I will fiddle with the skinning and see what comes of it. :)

Thanks!

Tony you are awesome!

I think since I am using the portable version, skinning isn't quite the same, I can't figure out how to import your file and/or get the browser to see your file to use it.

I really like the UI.dat method, what did you use to edit it?  Is it straight forward when editing it?  In the end I need the address bar and nav bar locked or hidden and for the user to not be able to right-click and get the context menu.

Thanks!

have never tried skinning in portable only with mods to ui.dat

the packing and unpacking files are in the thread i linked to earlier - so unpack - make the edits with a text editor - you might have to tidy up the htm and css file to do that and then repack - the packer can get the extension wrong sometimes so rename it and copy the new ui.dat file over the existing one and see if it works as you hope

you can hide the status bar and the top favourites - thats easy - not sure on the tabbar - if i delete the whole bar then i cannot load a page so you may be forced to keep that and just have one tab called as a homepage

context menus - which one - not sure if they can be deleted or just show as blank when right clicked

7 hours ago, Tony said:

have never tried skinning in portable only with mods to ui.dat

Portable is the same. Nothing changed, just packaged in a zip file instead of .exe installer, and the userdata stays in the install folder rather than in the windows appdata folder.

About trying to restrict use of other pages, depending on how savvy users are they can still access Quick Access using CTRL-N/T, then add a new tab, then use that to open whatever page. Although that might not be something to worry about depending on how your setup is and what the situation is where it's going to be used.

Removing those options from the shortcut keys will fix that. Maybe make it something a little more random that only you know.

You'll also need to disable mouse gestures. Again, might not be required but will allow use of going to links if they're aware.

8 hours ago, Draygar said:

I think since I am using the portable version, skinning isn't quite the same, I can't figure out how to import your file and/or get the browser to see your file to use it.

The .mxskin file should be registered to Maxthon to open when clicked. If not, and you get a "what program to use" message, select Maxthon and it will open. Or set it up in default programs if required. Note it won't work on 4.9.x, although you said you're using 4.4.8, so that shouldn't be an issue.

7 hours ago, Tony said:

if i delete the whole bar then i cannot load a page so you may be forced to keep that and just have one tab called as a homepage

Shouldn't be an issue as he said the page was to be opened via the command line.

Below is an updated version of the no address bar.mxskin file. Not sure why, but when i tested it, it didn't work at all, seems that the line to remove the address bar was still there.

Using a skin file (normal & no address bar) as opposed to the UI.dat also allows you to quickly change to the default skin by just clicking it. Just a little easier than replacing the UI.dat file in case you need to do something else in the browser.

NO ADDRESS BAR.mxskin

its how far do you want to take it really - most things can be customised - command buttons are easy - sidebar - dock etc etc - for personal use removing something that [may] break something else is not a problem - if its more than personal use then much testing would need to be done i would guess

Archived