ABP not working with custom rules

Can you provide some examples of what doesn't work?

I've got a number of custom rules added that all work, and as far as i'm aware they're all using the standard ABP rules.

To check that they're different to FF, you can create a rule in FF and then add it to MX. If there is a problem as you say then it shouldn't work. But i've done that before and the rules worked perfectly.

Some examples (which also work in FF):

maxthon.com##.ipsList_inline.ipsList_noSpacing.ipsClearfix >> Removes the share icons
maxthon.com##a[href*="addons.mozilla.org"] >> Removes the link in your first post
maxthon.com##img >> removes all the images on the page
^$image >> removes all images

16 hours ago, 7twenty said:

Can you provide some examples of what doesn't work?

I've got a number of custom rules added that all work, and as far as i'm aware they're all using the standard ABP rules.

To check that they're different to FF, you can create a rule in FF and then add it to MX. If there is a problem as you say then it shouldn't work. But i've done that before and the rules worked perfectly.

Some examples (which also work in FF):

maxthon.com##.ipsList_inline.ipsList_noSpacing.ipsClearfix >> Removes the share icons
maxthon.com##a[href*="addons.mozilla.org"] >> Removes the link in your first post
maxthon.com##img >> removes all the images on the page
^$image >> removes all images

The first example is supposed to remove the "Share this link" icon (or more correctly it's "container") on the top right side of each post, correct?

Specifically this: <p class="ipsPos_right ipsType_reset ipsType_blendLinks ipsFaded ipsFaded_more">

Well, I tried your filter (generally and for the specific domain) and it doesn't work for me.... Maybe something is wrong with my version? although I did a fresh clean install of the latest beta version

7 hours ago, TheWhitestOfFangs said:

The first example is supposed to remove the "Share this link" icon (or more correctly it's "container") on the top right side of each post, correct?

No, the share buttons on the bottom of the page above "who's online". But it seems it also removes the share buttons in the "share this link" hover you mentioned. Bonus!

7 hours ago, TheWhitestOfFangs said:

Well, I tried your filter (generally and for the specific domain) and it doesn't work for me....

If the more complex ones as above don't work, test with ones like the image hiding ones. Simple to test, clearly evident in what they're supposed to do, and if they still don't work then yes, there is clearly a problem on your end.

On 3/15/2016, 7:17:59, 7twenty said:

No, the share buttons on the bottom of the page above "who's online". But it seems it also removes the share buttons in the "share this link" hover you mentioned. Bonus!

If the more complex ones as above don't work, test with ones like the image hiding ones. Simple to test, clearly evident in what they're supposed to do, and if they still don't work then yes, there is clearly a problem on your end.

I tried all the rules and you wrote and none worked. It's not that APB doesn't wok - it blocks things that are in the lists and i.e. on the Google domain I can block the bottom bar ("fbar") by using the rule ##div#fbar
so the APB does work, but none of the rules you wrote worked and the majority of the rules I wrote didn't work as well, although following APBs syntax...

5 hours ago, TheWhitestOfFangs said:

but none of the rules you wrote worked and the majority of the rules I wrote didn't work as well,

Can you post some of your rules to test out? See image below of rules working and correct format on my system.

Interestingly it seems you no longer have to prefix with the domain? Not sure when that was implemented?

The fact that you do have ads being blocked, and the google fbar one also works, almost certainly means your rules are somehow wrong.

Untitled20160317152031.png

On 3/17/2016, 6:26:49, 7twenty said:

Can you post some of your rules to test out? See image below of rules working and correct format on my system.

Interestingly it seems you no longer have to prefix with the domain? Not sure when that was implemented?

The fact that you do have ads being blocked, and the google fbar one also works, almost certainly means your rules are somehow wrong.

Well first of all you don't need to specify the domain name explicitly if you're putting the rules under that domain's own tab - that is not new as a matter of fact

And what you show in the screenshot is exactly what I've done... (I'm not new to ABP)

Nope.png

On 19/3/2016 1:17:28, TheWhitestOfFangs said:

Well first of all you don't need to specify the domain name explicitly if you're putting the rules under that domain's own tab - that is not new as a matter of fact

And what you show in the screenshot is exactly what I've done... (I'm not new to ABP)

Only reason I mentioned that was because when ABP was first implemented in mx you had to. At some stage it seems that was removed, which i only noticed now.

So we know what you're doing is correct, but doesn't explain why it's not working. And we do know that it does work (at least for me, and no one else is complaining). Have you checked to see if the same happens when running a clean portable version? At least then you can confirm that it's something settings related.

And just to make sure, you are applying the changes and refreshing the page?

On 3/21/2016, 10:00:12, 7twenty said:

Only reason I mentioned that was because when ABP was first implemented in mx you had to. At some stage it seems that was removed, which i only noticed now.

So we know what you're doing is correct, but doesn't explain why it's not working. And we do know that it does work (at least for me, and no one else is complaining). Have you checked to see if the same happens when running a clean portable version? At least then you can confirm that it's something settings related.

And just to make sure, you are applying the changes and refreshing the page?

This installation is "clean" (I removed Mx 4.8 completely prior to putting 4.9, which resulted in all my rules deleted and not backed up :-( )
Portable version? I doubt anything will change - but I'll try.

Yes, I am refreshing after applying rules and double checking that I actually did apply them after reloading the page.

And yes, I agree that this is VERY strange (since my rules worked just fine previously) - so I'm trying to get a lead on the issue...
Will update after using portable

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/3/2016 6:10:16, TheWhitestOfFangs said:

Yes, I am refreshing after applying rules and double checking that I actually did apply them after reloading the page.

One thing that wasn't mentioned, did you remove the exception rule for maxthon.com in Global rules?
@@maxthon.com^$document 

I notice it's not there in the screenshot for the domain rules, but if it's still there for Global then the rules still won't work. This gets added/updated after every update.

Won't explain why you can't get rules working on other sites though, but will explain why the forum rules above didn't work.

Archived