Possible user agent error

Hi,

I'm experiencing a problem with a website I own that I do not understand. It's only happening in Maxthon (and has been happening for at least a couple of months): Chrome and Edge both work fine, so I think it must be specific to Maxthon.

I do NOT have a customised user agent string. My server is correctly reporting the string as Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Maxthon/4.9.2.400 Chrome/39.0.2146.0 Safari/537.36, as standard.

On my website, I'm currently using a Google Custom Search Engine, showing results direct on the page via JS (not an iframe).

However, whenever I click one of those search results, the user agent is reported somewhat different on the end page: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/46.0.2490.80 Safari/537.36

The link does go through Google's logging and redirect back to my website, so I think this must be part of the problem. But as I say, the error is only occurring in Maxthon, not Chrome or Edge.

Can anyone shed any light on this weird user agent mismatch?

Here's an example search results page: https://www.comedy.co.uk/search/?q=Cleese

Thanks!

Archived