Trident layout broken - 4.9.2.300 beta release

I was messing around today and stumbled upon a strange, but very definitely broken layout occurring sometimes in the Trident mode.  A brief summation is the flow is vertical where it should be horizontal first with vertical following.  I have a series of screen shots from this forum, EWTN.com, and CBS.com.  I also checked my other two main TV networks, aBC and NBC, but they .  do not seem to be affected.  CBS.com suffers a different effect from this foum and EWTN.  I tried Trident with and without standard rendering and there was no difference.  The Trident shots here are with standard rendering.

Screen shots:

Ultra mode (the way things should look)

EWTN_com_Ultra-MaxthonSnap20160313112126     Forum-Ultra-MaxthonSnap20160313110131.th     CBS_com_Ultra-MaxthonSnap20160313111452.

Trident Mode (broken)

EWTN_com_Trident-MaxthonSnap201603131118     Forum-Trident-at-0.66x-MaxthonSnap201603      CBS_com_Trident-MaxthonSnap2016031311123

The CBS problem is similar to a problem I reported in 4.4.x series for Ultra Mode.  Ultra mode was fixed.  Now Trident has "caught" a similar bug.

It would be a very good idea to figure out what's going on and fix these problems.  I don't know what other sites might show this problem.  I just found two layout problems and CBS with missing items in the header wrapper.

<<SL>>

the whole branch of 4.9 does strange things in trident mode with a couple of sites i visit - it comes and goes - graphics not loaded and then fine the next time - i commented on it somewhere but it never got a reply so forgot about it and went back to 4.4 which is solid

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

5 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

I was messing around today and stumbled upon a strange, but very definitely broken layout occurring sometimes in the Trident mode.  A brief summation is the flow is vertical where it should be horizontal first with vertical following.  I have a series of screen shots from this forum, EWTN.com, and CBS.com.  I also checked my other two main TV networks, aBC and NBC, but they .  do not seem to be affected.  CBS.com suffers a different effect from this foum and EWTN.  I tried Trident with and without standard rendering and there was no difference.  The Trident shots here are with standard rendering.

Screen shots:

Ultra mode (the way things should look)

The CBS problem is similar to a problem I reported in 4.4.x series for Ultra Mode.  Ultra mode was fixed.  Now Trident has "caught" a similar bug.

It would be a very good idea to figure out what's going on and fix these problems.  I don't know what other sites might show this problem.  I just found two layout problems and CBS with missing items in the header wrapper.

<<SL>>

Uhm, it's trident. Which OS are you using? Nothing Maxthon can do other than tell you to switch OS...use standard rendering mode or don't.

My settings, standard rendering on win10

Clipboard01.jpgClipboard02.thumb.jpg.4610f40008c0c46753Clipboard05.jpg

or you can listen to tony and get the same problems with 4.4...

Clipboard04.jpg

2 minutes ago, pantantrollo said:

Well here , with maxthon 4.9.2.3000 beta and trident on windows 10 64bits

Un Saludo

snap_screen_20160314191728.png

snap_screen_20160314191624.png

Well thast's good for Win10.  Which browser IE ?? or Edge installed.  I assume you have "standard rendering" enabled, right?

But alas, I'm with Win7.  Usually that hasn't been a problem.

<<SL>>

15 minutes ago, SnowLeopard said:

Well thast's good for Win10.  Which browser IE ?? or Edge installed.  I assume you have "standard rendering" enabled, right?

But alas, I'm with Win7.  Usually that hasn't been a problem.

<<SL>>

Sorry for my english

I have IExplore v11,162 and Edge v25.10586 installed.  (Windows 10 has the two explorers)

In maxthon I have enabled "standard rendering"

56e708eba803e_Sintitulo20160314193743.th

but if I turn off , the pages i see like activated

56e709333cc20_Sintitulo20160314193723.th

Un Saludo

49 minutes ago, pantantrollo said:

Sorry. I tried this same page forum and gives me error as SnowLeopard, with "standard rendering" enabled and disabled.

Ultra mode

56e70d6ce1fe1_Sintitulo20160314200947.th

Retro mode "standard rendering" enabled and disabled (same result)

56e70d6e1eb9c_Sintitulo20160314200908.th

Un Saludo

I'm using win10build 14279, which are you using? You can see the mode I'm using in the image, I didn't photoshop, honest.

41 minutes ago, PHYR said:

I'm using win10build 14279, which are you using? You can see the mode I'm using in the image, I didn't photoshop, honest.

I have the same issue as posters above win 10 build 1511, no matter whether standard rendering mode is enabled or not.

sigmax2.png

56 minutes ago, PHYR said:

Windows 10 [Version 6.3.10586]  64bits (Castellano) = W10 build 1151

Ultra mode

56e7268f8234a_Sintitulo20160314215717.th

Retro mode "standard rendering" enabled and disabled (same result)

56e7268e4eff3_Sintitulo20160314215758.th

Un Saludo

I'm confused?! If sites are working in Ultra, why are you even bothering with Retro? It's there for compatibility, so if it's working fine in Ultra, Retro working or not is completely irrelevant. Unless you're using sites that were designed for browsers from ~2010, there's no reason to even try. The bigger problem these days is sites that require a current version of blink that break if certain features can't be used.

As with PHYR, all sites display correctly in Retro with standard rendering (4.9.2.300) / Win10 1511.

If it's not working with Retro (IE8 mode) it's because... get ready for it... it's trying to display a modern website with a 5yr old browser core!!

10 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

I'm with Win7

Which IE version?

38 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

I'm confused?! If sites are working in Ultra, why are you even bothering with Retro? It's there for compatibility, so if it's working fine in Ultra, Retro working or not is completely irrelevant. Unless you're using sites that were designed for browsers from ~2010, there's no reason to even try. The bigger problem these days is sites that require a current version of blink that break if certain features can't be used.

As with PHYR, all sites display correctly in Retro with standard rendering (4.9.2.300) / Win10 1511.

If it's not working with Retro (IE8 mode) it's because... get ready for it... it's trying to display a modern website with a 5yr old browser core!!

Which browser version?

In thew thread title, 4.9.2.300

13 minutes ago, -ody- said:

These are some of the important updates to build 14267, it's very possibly the reason:

14.14267 31.14267   Web Notifications, WebRTC 1.0, improved HTML5, CSS3 and ECMAScript 6 and 7 support.

It would not however explain 7twenty's results.

2 minutes ago, -ody- said:

@PHYR you're right : it takes a reboot to work, when standard rendering mode is enabled it works fine 

I deleted the post, but good.

I think this might have been in advanced settings in 4.4(which needed reboot), but should be mentioned.

18 hours ago, 7twenty said:

Which IE version?

IE 11.  I am under the imprssion that "standard rendering" uses the rendering engine in the installed version of IE.  Is that incorrect?

Here's the UA that IE 11 broadcasts:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; Trident/7.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; SLCC2; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; rv:11.0) like Gecko

<<SL>>

Well I'll be, this is mine on win10 b14279:

M4.9.2.300ultra

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Maxthon/4.9.2.300 Chrome/39.0.2146.0 Safari/537.36

M4.9.2.300 retro

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko

Trident/7.0 indicates that it is indeed using the edgehtml version of trident. hehe This is wrongTrident/7 is IE's version of Trident where Edge/14.xxxx is the new engine sans activex, complient to W3C standards.

exactly the same as on IE

M4.4 UA while using standard rendering mode is:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko

I'm guessing it's using compatibility view??????

and ultra mode

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/30.0.1599.101 Safari/537.36

I hope someone with a little more knowledge peeps in. Is M4.9 using Trident/7 and then switching to IE compatibility mode when needed?

Edges UA is 

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/46.0.2486.0 Safari/537.36 Edge/14.14279

Now I'm just confused. Why is Trident/7 showing on snowleopards win7(windows NT 6,1) 

Edit: So my take is that 4.4 was using WindowsNT6.3, same as Windows 8 where 4.9 is using windows10NT 10, windows 10 true renderer.

Ok lets try and get this straight...

MX uses blink in Ultra. The UA should be similar to this:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Maxthon/4.9.2.300 Chrome/39.0.2146.0 Safari/537.36

MX uses Trident in Retro Mode (using IE8 compatibility mode when Standard Rendering is unchecked). The UA should be similar to this:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; Trident/7.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)

MX uses Trident in Retro (using latest IE version installed when Standard rendering is checked). The UA should be similar to this:

MX does not use EdgeHTML

Trident/7.0 = IE11

Ultra = Blink
Retro = Trident
Trident can run in:
Compatibility Mode (IE8) when standard rendering is unchecked
Default rendering mode (latest IE version installed) when standard rendering is checked

You MUST restart Maxthon after changing the Standard Rendering option, otherwise nothing changes.

--

So, the reason SnowLeopards images show the sites rendering wrong is because he's using compatibility mode (IE8) not standard rendering (IE11) in Retro. You can double check this by testing the same sites in IE and adding the sites to the compatibility list. @SnowLeopard maybe try this before this all gets more complicated than what it already has.

5 hours ago, PHYR said:

Now I'm just confused. Why is Trident/7 showing on snowleopards win7(windows NT 6,1) 

Because he has IE11 installed - see above. The Windows xx.x part has nothing to do with anything - see below.

5 hours ago, PHYR said:

Edit: So my take is that 4.4 was using WindowsNT6.3, same as Windows 8 where 4.9 is using windows10NT 10, windows 10 true renderer.

The "Windows NT xx.x" only refers to the windows version - nothing to do with the renderer. Windows 10 reports v6.3 to those programs that are unable to correctly deal with NT10, as a means of backwards compatibility with the OS.

--

Hopefully that clears things up about UA's/Retro/standard rendering etc.

5 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Maxthon/4.9.2.300 Chrome/39.0.2146.0 Safari/537.36

MX uses Trident in Retro Mode (using IE8 compatibility mode when Standard Rendering is unchecked). The UA should be similar to this:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; Trident/7.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)

MX uses Trident in Retro (using latest IE version installed when Standard rendering is checked). The UA should be similar to this:

MX does not use EdgeHTML

Trident/7.0 = IE11

You MUST restart Maxthon after changing the Standard Rendering option, otherwise nothing changes.

So, the reason SnowLeopards images show the sites rendering wrong is because he's using compatibility mode (IE8) not standard rendering (IE11) in Retro. You can double check this by testing the same sites in IE and adding the sites to the compatibility list. @SnowLeopard maybe try this before this all gets more complicated than what it already has.

Because he has IE11 installed - see above. The Windows xx.x part has nothing to do with anything - see below.

The "Windows NT xx.x" only refers to the windows version - nothing to do with the renderer. Windows 10 reports v6.3 to those programs that are unable to correctly deal with NT10, as a means of backwards compatibility with the OS.

--

Fact remains that 4.4 wasn't identifying as NT10 in retro mode where 4.9 does.

13 hours ago, 7twenty said:

MX does not use EdgeHTML

Trident/7.0 = IE11

Ultra = Blink
Retro = Trident
Trident can run in:
Default rendering mode (latest IE version installed) when standard rendering is checked

Thx for the clarification.

13 hours ago, 7twenty said:

This must be notified in options :)

Un Saludo

14 hours ago, 7twenty said:

MX does not use EdgeHTML

Trident/7.0 = IE11

Ultra = Blink
Retro = Trident
Trident can run in:

--

--

Unfortunately for the theory, the rendering is the same in both compatibility mode and standard rendering.  Also the screen shots were taken in standard rendering mode.  I  think I included that in my first post; if not, sorry.

someone mentioned in the htread "what difference does it make when Ultra mode works as intended?"  I'm posting because I'm a little bit perfectionist.  A malfunctioning broswer in any mode of operation is bad PR at least.  

<<SL>>

1 hour ago, SnowLeopard said:

I'm posting because I'm a little bit perfectionist.  A malfunctioning broswer in any mode of operation is bad PR at least.  

<<SL>>

The purpose of dual rendering engines is to address issues that arise on older sites. If those issues didn't exist there would be no purpose of having dual rendering engines.

If your suggesting a single core browser be able to do both, for some reason, neither MS nor Google consider that feasible.

Besides, in this case anyway, it isn't a browser issue but an OS one.

9 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

Unfortunately for the theory, the rendering is the same in both compatibility mode and standard rendering.   Also the screen shots were taken in standard rendering mode.  I  think I included that in my first post; if not, sorry.

It's not a theory, it was tested over two systems (Win10 10586 & 14279), both with reproducible results.

You did say it was std rendering, but with all due respect, i'm not going to believe that without some confirmation of a test with IE as mentioned above (where your name was tagged), and/or the UA's Maxthon is using when in Retro mode [compat & IE11]. In fact, just testing in IE11 should be enough. If for some reason IE11 on your system is showing the websites  wrong, then it should happen when browsing in IE without enabling compat view either.

If IE11 is displaying them correctly, then Maxthon isn't using Standard Rendering as you have said.

9 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

I'm posting because I'm a little bit perfectionist.

That's great, but at some point good is good enough. Maxthon can't do anything about the IPB code not working with an IE8 core.

Archived