Bug (mx4.9.1.1000-PC) : can't translate page

When going to this website:

http://www.svetandroida.cz/sync-me-facebook-201603

Maxthon doesn't offer to translate it, and when I do it manually using the button on the toolbar, it fails. 

Trying on Chromium, it shows a small popup that asks me if I want to translate to english, and then it really shows the translated page.

Please do like on Chromium. 

21 minutes ago, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

Maxthon doesn't offer to translate it, and when I do it manually using the button on the toolbar, it fails. 

Trying on Chromium, it shows a small popup that asks me if I want to translate to english, and then it really shows the translated page.

It's working fine in Win7 with 4.9.2.200.  Wait for the next release.  

But are you referring to the Android version?  I'm asking to check whether I'm mistaken about what version you mean.

<<SL>>

1 hour ago, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

Works absolutely fine (via Translate button).

You can always use one of extensions to translate websites - for example http://extension.maxthon.com/detail/index.php?view_id=2954 this one.

Notatka20160310105418.png

5 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

It's working fine in Win7 with 4.9.2.200.  Wait for the next release.  

But are you referring to the Android version?  I'm asking to check whether I'm mistaken about what version you mean.

<<SL>>

There's no 4.9 version for android(check the title)

2 hours ago, PHYR said:

There's no 4.9 version for android(check the title)

I didn't talk about Android. I don't use Maxthon on Android. 

Anyway, I've tested it again, this time at home, and it worked fine. 

Odd. I will update it at the office and hope it works ok.

Also, please offer to translate automatically, for languages that the user cannot read (I can read English and Hebrew, for example).

Works fine here as well.

Test without extensions etc. per the troubleshooting thread.

5 hours ago, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

I don't want to switch to portable version and lose all my settings.

I don't believe that was a recommendation to use the portable as your daily browser. It was a request to test with portable MX to try and determine the issue. Testing with private while a good solution, still doesn't take out variables like extensions and probably some other stuff.

The fact that you say you don't have the issue at home points to a userdata issue. Are you using the same Passport on both installs?

On 3/14/2016, 1:38:21, 7twenty said:

Works fine here as well.

Test without extensions etc. per the troubleshooting thread.

I don't believe that was a recommendation to use the portable as your daily browser. It was a request to test with portable MX to try and determine the issue. Testing with private while a good solution, still doesn't take out variables like extensions and probably some other stuff.

The fact that you say you don't have the issue at home points to a userdata issue. Are you using the same Passport on both installs?

I don't use any passport. Never did.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using it?

Maybe I should try it.

Will it ruin any settings in either PC ?

9 hours ago, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using it?

The advantage is that it can be used anywhere and your settings will follow you. So log in from work, then come home and your favs/qa/history is there for you to continue on with.

It won't ruin any settings as it creates a new profile for use which is encrypted. You can import your guest profile if you want.

--

But the reason I asked about it is to ensure that it's not the same userdata being used leading to two different scenarios. The fact that it's not in use means that it's almost certainly a userdata issue. So it's not Maxthon but something unique to the data on your work install.

To check this is the case, you can create a backup of your work userdata folder, copy over the userdata from your home install and run the work version. Theoretically it should work as expected.

Or you could extract the portable version, copy over the work userdata one folder at a time, and check between each copy. If the issue starts happening then you've found the folder/files causing the problem.

But it all starts with testing from a clean portable version... which we're still waiting to be done.

On 3/16/2016, 6:22:37, 7twenty said:

The advantage is that it can be used anywhere and your settings will follow you. So log in from work, then come home and your favs/qa/history is there for you to continue on with.

It won't ruin any settings as it creates a new profile for use which is encrypted. You can import your guest profile if you want.

--

But the reason I asked about it is to ensure that it's not the same userdata being used leading to two different scenarios. The fact that it's not in use means that it's almost certainly a userdata issue. So it's not Maxthon but something unique to the data on your work install.

To check this is the case, you can create a backup of your work userdata folder, copy over the userdata from your home install and run the work version. Theoretically it should work as expected.

Or you could extract the portable version, copy over the work userdata one folder at a time, and check between each copy. If the issue starts happening then you've found the folder/files causing the problem.

But it all starts with testing from a clean portable version... which we're still waiting to be done.

Is it possible to avoid the sync of the favorites?

About the portable idea, which version should I get, and from where?

On 18/3/2016 7:58:04, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

Is it possible to avoid the sync of the favorites?

Disable sync of favourites from the user panel options

On 18/3/2016 7:58:04, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

About the portable idea, which version should I get, and from where?

http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/forum/57-maxthon-official-releases-and-betas/

I wouldn't try 4.9.2.400 yet though. seems to have a few bugs 

23 hours ago, 7twenty said:

Disable sync of favourites from the user panel options

http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/forum/57-maxthon-official-releases-and-betas/

I wouldn't try 4.9.2.400 yet though. seems to have a few bugs 

OK, I've tried the portable edition of 4.9.1.1000 (got from the official website) , and I still had the issue. 

Attached image to show the issue.

It also takes quite a while till it shows this message.

MaxthonSnap20160322094051.png

On 2016/3/10 下午4:46:28, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

what's your operating system ?

On 2016/3/10 at 4:46 PM, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

Until now, we have not yet provide the "auto-suggests to translate"  feature like Chromium. I am so sorry for this. I already transfered your suggestion to our product department. Thanks you help us to improve our browser.

For manual traslation, we just tried it. The google traslation have some problem now. you could select baidu traslation. It can work well.^-^

On 3/23/2016, 9:51:37, BugMiss006 said:

Until now, we have not yet provide the auto translation feature like Chromium. I am so sorry for this. I already transfered your suggestion to our product department. Thanks you help us to improve our browser.

For manual traslation, we just tried it. The google traslation have some problem now. you could select baidu traslation. It can work well.^-^

Thank you.

Chrome doesn't do auto-translate. It auto-suggests to translate, based on the language that the website is. I think the settings of Maxthon should have "never offer to translate to these languages". Since I know English&Hebrew, it doesn't make sense to offer me to translate a Hebrew page to English.

On 3/25/2016, 2:21:48, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

Thank you.

Chrome doesn't do auto-translate. It auto-suggests to translate, based on the language that the website is. I think the settings of Maxthon should have "never offer to translate to these languages". Since I know English&Hebrew, it doesn't make sense to offer me to translate a Hebrew page to English.

On the contrary, it makes eminent sense for all  but ssome like you who knoww the websites language.  The browser shoulld inquire about whether the user wants the page translated whenever the website language does not match the OS's language setting.  Those who know the website language just decline the query and all others (a much larger group) can accept the translation.

I think it is much better if one can read something in its orginal language, but that isn't always possibble, so translation is the fallback.

<<SL>>

On 3/26/2016, 11:43:19, SnowLeopard said:

On the contrary, it makes eminent sense for all  but ssome like you who knoww the websites language.  The browser shoulld inquire about whether the user wants the page translated whenever the website language does not match the OS's language setting.  Those who know the website language just decline the query and all others (a much larger group) can accept the translation.

I think it is much better if one can read something in its orginal language, but that isn't always possibble, so translation is the fallback.

<<SL>>

I don't understand. You mean you would prefer each page to be auto-translated without telling the user that it's being translated?

If so, you should know that translation utils are better in translating to specific languages than to others. I don't think that translating any language to Hebrew is better than to English, for example. Even though my main language is Hebrew, I would still prefer to translate to English.

It should also be easy for the user to know that what is seen is not in his language. Auto-translation will show weird text in this case and also take more time to load each page.

Anyway, if you add this, please make it optional: "Auto translate to language X", and "Auto suggest to translate to languages X,Y,Z..." (user choose which languages he knows) . 

On 2016/3/25 下午2:21:48, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

Thank you.

Yep, I understand it ^-^. I think it's good too. I already submit your advice to our development team. 

Thanks your like and support for maxthon, and willing to help us improving our product~

16 hours ago, AndroidDeveloperLB said:

I don't understand. You mean you would prefer each page to be auto-translated without telling the user that it's being translated?

If so, you should know that translation utils are better in translating to specific languages than to others. I don't think that translating any language to Hebrew is better than to English, for example. Even though my main language is Hebrew, I would still prefer to translate to English.

It should also be easy for the user to know that what is seen is not in his language. Auto-translation will show weird text in this case and also take more time to load each page.

Anyway, if you add this, please make it optional: "Auto translate to language X", and "Auto suggest to translate to languages X,Y,Z..." (user choose which languages he knows) . 

No, I've encountered websites in another browser, which either the site or the browser (not sure which) would ask if you wanted the site's pages traanslated.  The user does get to choose.  But I recall that it was translating TO my computer's default language.  A translation engine gives the user the option to chose what languages to translate between.  I frequently use Google Translate this way.

<<SL>>

9 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

No, I've encountered websites in another browser, which either the site or the browser (not sure which) would ask if you wanted the site's pages traanslated.  The user does get to choose.  But I recall that it was translating TO my computer's default language.  A translation engine gives the user the option to chose what languages to translate between.  I frequently use Google Translate this way.

<<SL>>

I'd still prefer to be able to translate to a language of my choice, and not force the translation to be automatic.

It could at least have settings for it.

I've also suggested in the past, that clicking on the "translate" button would work according to the context: if nothing is selected, translate whole page. If a text is selected, translate the text itself.

Archived