New 4.9.1.1000 better???? Most definitely NOT.

Why is it that companies keep updating their software/programs and have the arrogance to think that they have a better product then the old software/program?

The prior version which I had (4.4.8.2000) had one very neat feature that is now gone in the 4.9.1.1000 version - namely the ability to have two tabs open side by side. I have a 17 inch screened laptop and that was great for browsing while watching a football match. Even in Firefox I make sure to always have the tile-tabs plug-in which allows me to have many tabs open and viewable at the same time. A better implementation than Maxthon's but at least Maxthon had that ability (if only to tile two tabs).

In the changelog there was no mention of the fact that this option was no longer available, otherwise I would not have installed it. As it is, I have two laptops and the other one will definitely NOT be updated. Bloody idiots you people are.

44 minutes ago, judgedredd said:

Why is it that companies keep updating their software/programs and have the arrogance to think that they have a better product then the old software/program?

The prior version which I had (4.4.8.2000) had one very neat feature that is now gone in the 4.9.1.1000 version - namely the ability to have two tabs open side by side. I have a 17 inch screened laptop and that was great for browsing while watching a football match. Even in Firefox I make sure to always have the tile-tabs plug-in which allows me to have many tabs open and viewable at the same time. A better implementation than Maxthon's but at least Maxthon had that ability (if only to tile two tabs).

In the changelog there was no mention of the fact that this option was no longer available, otherwise I would not have installed it. As it is, I have two laptops and the other one will definitely NOT be updated. Bloody idiots you people are.

If you had done a search for posts on the split screen feature, you would have found it is removed TEMPORARILY.  The 4.9.x series in a technological development platform toward a very new version ... we'll call it Maxthon 5.  

Yes some features have disappeared.  For some, it is temporary until they get the basic foundations set.  Some will be replaced by something better (we hope).  Some are so little used, they won't come back.  I lost one of those, but there are alternatives for what will be lost.

<<SL>>

Yeah well, Mx 4.9.1.1000 fooled me as well and I ran it for several days before I realised it wasn't the official upgrade to Mx 4.4.8.1000. It breaks pages and won't stream some TV like the general release. I now have Mx 4.4.8.2000 and everything is fine again.   

Mx 4.9.1.1000 is fundamentally a beta, and in reality, should be labelled as such. I've been running the portable Mx 4.9.1.1000 however, and I found it easy to customise the spellchecker and language pack (unlike 4.4.8.2000). I think it will be great, once it's out of the beta stage! :p

4 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

If you had done a search for posts on the split screen feature, you would have found it is removed TEMPORARILY.

Good point, but at the same time that sort of information should have been part of the announcement post. These aren't small things missing, many are major features. We've discussed this elsewhere and hopefully that info will be included in future posts.

4 hours ago, DaveMax said:

Mx 4.9.1.1000 is fundamentally a beta, and in reality, should be labelled as such.

What makes it beta?

Browsers are forever being updated. At what point does it come out of beta? When no more changes to the core are made? When no more features are added? When all bugs are fixed?

In all of those questions you'll notice that every MX version has some changes to at least one of those items. 

27 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

What makes it beta?

Browsers are forever being updated. At what point does it come out of beta? When no more changes to the core are made? When no more features are added? When all bugs are fixed?

In all of those questions you'll notice that every MX version has some changes to at least one of those items. 

What makes it beta?

Well, it seems a tad experimental to me, which tends to classify it as a beta rather than a release candidate or even a final release. Notwithstanding that it couldn't stream some TV for me.

I admit that it could be apposite to call everything essentially a 'beta' but Mx 4.9.1.1000 seems particularly unfinished to me. As a whole, Maxthon general releases have very few bugs and seem to be able to do things other browsers fail at. In five years or so I had never been disappointed with a Maxthon release. Mx 4.9.1.1000 was the first release to actually achieve this. I still think it will be a great version ... when it's finished. Meanwhile I'm very happy with Mx 4.4.8.2000 which is the finished Maxthon I know and love.

4 hours ago, DaveMax said:

What makes it beta?

Well, it seems a tad experimental to me, which tends to classify it as a beta rather than a release candidate or even a final release. Notwithstanding that it couldn't stream some TV for me.

I admit that it could be apposite to call everything essentially a 'beta' but Mx 4.9.1.1000 seems particularly unfinished to me. As a whole, Maxthon general releases have very few bugs and seem to be able to do things other browsers fail at. In five years or so I had never been disappointed with a Maxthon release. Mx 4.9.1.1000 was the first release to actually achieve this. I still think it will be a great version ... when it's finished. Meanwhile I'm very happy with Mx 4.4.8.2000 which is the finished Maxthon I know and love.

In reality a user comes to the forum and specifies the TV stream that doesn't work for him rather than quibble about semantics.

In reality M4.9 does everything better than M4.4 ever did simply because of the core it uses. Anyone who claims M4.4 had very few bugs never used it.

I'm really surprised that you consider M4.9 "unfinished" as its been out to the public for over a month.

11 hours ago, judgedredd said:

If 2 tabs side by side is such an issue for you why not open a second (or third or fourth)instance and place them side by side? Yeah, talk about bloody idiot.

10 hours ago, DaveMax said:

As a whole, Maxthon general releases have very few bugs and seem to be able to do things other browsers fail at.

I have to agree with Plugger on that. It might do some things better, but it also does a bunch of things nowhere near as good, or needs some workarounds to work properly. MX4.9 fixes some issues related to the older core in 4.4.8, but there's still some way to go.

If you're not a fan of Maxthon for whatever reason, the lack of advanced options and the number of idiosyncrasies that you have to deal with for many is a dealbreaker.

6 hours ago, Plugger said:

If 2 tabs side by side is such an issue for you why not open a second (or third or fourth)instance and place them side by side?

Yeah sure, but why do we need to use such an archaic method when every other browser on the market lets you simply drag a tab out to create a new window?

It's bad enough they've dropped splitscreen (albeit temporarily), but on top of that there's no simple way to open a tab in a new MX window. The least they can do is add an option to the tab context menu for "Open tab in new window". Not as sleek as a drag'n'drop option, but much better than, copy URL, open a new window, paste & go. It's a huge mess for something that other browsers have had right for so long now.

I'm thinking there's a technical restriction with the way the UI works that DnD can't be done. But i'm curious to know why the menu wouldn't be able to be added relatively easily?

6 hours ago, 7twenty said:

Yeah sure, but why do we need to use such an archaic method when every other browser on the market lets you simply drag a tab out to create a new window?

It's bad enough they've dropped splitscreen (albeit temporarily), but on top of that there's no simple way to open a tab in a new MX window. The least they can do is add an option to the tab context menu for "Open tab in new window". Not as sleek as a drag'n'drop option, but much better than, copy URL, open a new window, paste & go. It's a huge mess for something that other browsers have had right for so long now.

I'm thinking there's a technical restriction with the way the UI works that DnD can't be done. But i'm curious to know why the menu wouldn't be able to be added relatively easily?

It has occurred to me that the solution might be right under the devs (and our) noses.  Main Menu already has New Window code in it.  Just modify the right-click context menu with a new item in the link-right-click menu for "Open in New Window".  In Maxthon, that would be in a tab, since tabs are never hidden unlike in Safari until there are 2.

It's something worth exploring ... it might or might not be very hard.  But it might be a while till I can try.

<<SL>>

6 hours ago, 7twenty said:

I have to agree with Plugger on that. It might do some things better, but it also does a bunch of things nowhere near as good, or needs some workarounds to work properly. MX4.9 fixes some issues related to the older core in 4.4.8, but there's still some way to go.

If you're not a fan of Maxthon for whatever reason, the lack of advanced options and the number of idiosyncrasies that you have to deal with for many is a dealbreaker.

The method you describe certainly makes it sound long and laborious. However, if you open a new window first, all that is necessary is a simple drag&drop of a link or url. Not so laborious! Easy even!

In practice it requires one click more than detaching a tab and the same as a context menu option.

46 minutes ago, Plugger said:

However, if you open a new window first, all that is necessary is a simple drag&drop of a link or url.

Yeah, was thinking about adding that, then got sidetracked. You're right, but still not as evident as dnd or a context menu option where for users coming from another browser it would be easier to find.

2 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

Ithas occured to me thaqt the solution might be right unfer the devs (and our) noses.  

I think i've had a look into that before for some reason. Not sure if I got stumped, or couldn't get something to work. Might be worth looking into again.

48 minutes ago, Plugger said:

The method you describe certainly makes it sound long and laborious. However, if you open a new window first, all that is necessary is a simple drag&drop of a link or url. Not so laborious! Easy even!

In practice it requires one click more than detaching a tab and the same as a context menu option.

Not quite as laborious as yoou sugggest.  There are two options I might explore.

1. Link Right Click provided there is an option to openInNewWindow.  That gives it in one click, right-click the link.

2. Tab Right Click also provided with the option openInNewWindow.  You'd use this for a tb you had already opened.

I think having both would be best to cover both conditions.

I've found the Tab Contest Menu, one of the targets.  But still looking for the Link Context Menu.  I don't know if it comes from Maxthon or Windows.  It looks kinda like a Maxthon window, but ???

<<SL>>

44 minutes ago, Plugger said:

Both methods you describe require 2 clicks, right click and then left click to select.

The advantage your suggestion provides is when used on background tabs.(saves one click, the selection of the tab)

No, you can just right-click on a background tab and get the Tab Context Menu, so it's two clicks all around which is as close to nothing as anyone needs.

But its an argument over a click.  We do better to try for the two-clicks if we can get them.  Then we could return to this or not.

<<SL>>

15 hours ago, Plugger said:

In reality a user comes to the forum and specifies the TV stream that doesn't work for him rather than quibble about semantics.

In reality M4.9 does everything better than M4.4 ever did simply because of the core it uses. Anyone who claims M4.4 had very few bugs never used it.

I'm really surprised that you consider M4.9 "unfinished" as its been out to the public for over a month.

In reality, I didn't like the fonts either. In my ontologically defined reality I can believe or state what I like as it's what I subjectively experienced. 

In reality Mx 4.9.1.1000 doesn't do anything better than Mx 4.4.8.2000 did and many would very probably agree with me it is probably worse.

I claim to have used Mx 4.4.8.1000 as my default browser and have had Maxthon as default on two machines over a period of five years. I can't recall any bugs of note with previous versions and I could stream several TV channels that Mx 4.9.1.1000 can't even now. 

When Mx 4.9.1.1000 is finished I may, in reality, actually run it on a computer I own.

For now, I'd only ever run it in an alternative reality (or possibly a parallel universe), where it's a finished product and runs properly.

I'm really surprised that you're surprised that I consider Mx 4.9.1.1000 unfinished; as it's no surprise to me anymore.

9 hours ago, 7twenty said:

I've run Maxthon for years, and regardless of what 'Plugger' says, as he/she doesn't know me from Adam, I've never had a Maxthon release refuse to stream a TV channel or display or suffer from any major bugs before Mx 4.9.1.1000. Semantics, semiotics and Uncle Tom Cobley aside, Mx 4.9.1.1000 just doesn't seem totally finished to me. I'm sure it will get fixed. 

If I didn't like Maxthon, I wouldn't use it. Meanwhile Mx 4.4.8.2000 runs beautifully on my Win 7 computer. 

27 minutes ago, DaveMax said:

I've run Maxthon for years, and regardless of what 'Plugger' says, as he/she doesn't know me from Adam, I've never had a Maxthon release refuse to stream a TV channel or display or suffer from any major bugs before Mx 4.9.1.1000. Semantics, semiotics and Uncle Tom Cobley aside, Mx 4.9.1.1000 just doesn't seem totally finished to me. I'm sure it will get fixed. 

If I didn't like Maxthon, I wouldn't use it. Meanwhile Mx 4.4.8.2000 runs beautifully on my Win 7 computer. 

Can you post links to some stream video that does.not require a subscription?  I'd like to see how 4.9.x fails at streaming.  I've had no problems with videos playing, but I don't thiink I've watched any live sites except EWTN.com which uses Brightcove to stream its programs.  

I watch that quite regularly over weekends.  I get a very occasional stall and resume without skipping any audio.  But that isn't a significant impediment to watching or listening to their programs for hours.  Give http://ewtn.com/multimedia/live_player.asp?sat=dome a try to see if you encounter problems.  I am also ru nning Win7, specifically Win7 x64 Enterprise.

The only other kind of problem I have in 4.9.1.x but not in 4.4.8.x is logging into ABC Watch at http://abc.go.com to watch recent video episodes.  This logging in is validated by my Verizon FIOS TV provider in 4.4.8.2000 but it will not verify in 4.9.1.1000 and earlier and later test versions.  Ii'm patiently/impatiently waithing for this to be fixed.  But it dosn't ruin my regular use as I have both versions in portsble versions available.

<<SL>>

6 minutes ago, DaveMax said:

I get this on any show on My5 (British commercial TV) https://www.my5.tv/ 

poi2.thumb.jpg.909668895be0994414cd889af

xfiles1.thumb.jpg.9c0b163a29ea3538600123

Mx 4.4.8.2000  runs them with no problems.

Thanks for the link.  I've tried it with The Shannara Chronicles and it appears it would play if it were actually on air (see the 3rd sccreen shot).

1.  My5-1_MaxthonSnap20160306171820.thumb.pn

2.  My5-2_MaxthonSnap20160306172039.thumb.pn

3.  My5-3_MaxthonSnap20160306172253.thumb.pn

Look at the messages in your screen shot and mine.  The shows are not on the air, so they aren't available on the stream.  To me, streaming is for live shows being broadcast, not episode videos for play at any time.

This isn't  or doesn't seem to be any problem in Maxthon; it's the station.

<<SL>>

10 minutes ago, DaveMax said:

OK, thanks. There's definitely something wrong with flash in Mx 4.9.1.1000. We're not the only people experiencing it, so the problem can't just be end user's computers.

Well I just tried it in 4.4.8.2000 and got the same error messaage (not currently available) which is NOT a Flash problem, it''s the sattion.  Also, 4.4.8.x and 4.9.x.x use different Flash players, but give the same message.  This was bassed on trying to run the current version of Shananara Chronicles.

<<SL>>

1 hour ago, SnowLeopard said:

Thanks for the link.  I've tried it with The Shannara Chronicles and it appears it would play if it were actually on air (see the 3rd sccreen shot).

1.  My5-1_MaxthonSnap20160306171820.thumb.pn

2.  My5-2_MaxthonSnap20160306172039.thumb.pn

3.  My5-3_MaxthonSnap20160306172253.thumb.pn

Look at the messages in your screen shot and mine.  The shows are not on the air, so they aren't available on the stream.  To me, streaming is for live shows being broadcast, not episode videos for play at any time.

This isn't  or doesn't seem to be any problem in Maxthon; it's the station.

<<SL>>

If it's the station, how come they stream perfectly well in  4.4.8.2000 both portable and C Drive versions? Honestly, they stream perfectly in K-Meleon, Firefox, SeaMonkey, Opera and Google Chrome (I've checked on two separate Windows computers). 

So, it's hardly the station, is it?

mx1.thumb.jpg.e5b364301b42417a1d1619c158

fx.jpg

sm1.jpg

As you can see, it works in Mx 4.4.8. 2000, Firefox and SeaMonkey.

What's the common denominator here? They all run perfectly except in 4.9.1.1000 which won't run the same X-Files episode.

55 minutes ago, DaveMax said:

If it's the station, how come they stream perfectly well in  4.4.8.2000 both portable and C Drive versions? Honestly, they stream perfectly in K-Meleon, Firefox, SeaMonkey, Opera and Google Chrome (I've checked on two separate Windows computers). 

So, it's hardly the station, is it?

mx1.thumb.jpg.e5b364301b42417a1d1619c158

fx.jpg

sm1.jpg

As you can see, it works in Mx 4.4.8. 2000, Firefox and SeaMonkey.

What's the common denominator here? They all run perfectly except in 4.9.1.1000 which won't run the same X-Files episode.

Well the common denominator for me is the 3rd line in my screen shots, "CA-UNKNOWN".  Your screen shots have a numeric code in them.  The message at the top is the same.  But what appears to be an error line is different.  However I get the same error in 4.4.8.2000 and in 4.9.1.x, portable versions for both.

It may be a Maxthon problem, but maybe a certificate problem.  I read "CA" and "Certifying Authority"

Are you REGISTERED on the site?  I don't want to register.  That might make us different and explain the 4.4.8.2000 failure.

<<SL>>

29 minutes ago, SnowLeopard said:

Well the common denominator for me is the 3rd line in my screen shots, "CA-UNKNOWN".  Your screen shots have a numeric code in them.  The message at the top is the same.  But what appears to be an error line is different.  However I get the same error in 4.4.8.2000 and in 4.9.1.x, portable versions for both.

It may be a Maxthon problem, but maybe a certificate problem.  I read "CA" and "Certifying Authority"

Are you REGISTERED on the site?  I don't want to register.  That might make us different and explain the 4.4.8.2000 failure.

<<SL>>

Hmmm ... curiouser and curiouser. I couldn't get it to run in the portable QupZilla either (PortableApps), but that isn't really unusual. Maybe it is a certificate problem, I really don't know enough to speculate. I'm not registered on My5. I'm at a loss to explain the 4.4.8.2000 failure as both the portable and HDD versions worked for me whereas the portable and HDD versions of 4.9.1.1000 didn't. 

I had to disable the uBlock and HTTPS Everywhere extensions to run the the X-Files video on Chrome, and disable uBlock on Firefox and Opera, but K-Meleon and SeaMonkey had no problems whatsoever. 

This is the first time that a Maxthon version has been unable to play/stream video content for me in five years of use. 

I too have problems with videos in 4.9x, only my problem is in Facebook. If I restart Maxthon videos will play properly for a short time, then either quit mid video or not play at all. The same videos will play in Internet Explorer or rebooting Maxthon. I started another thread in regards to 2 issues I am having. a 3rd issue is upgrading Maxthon and losing my homepage book marks and passwords.

On 3/5/2016, 11:00:00, SnowLeopard said:

If you had done a search for posts on the split screen feature, you would have found it is removed TEMPORARILY.  The 4.9.x series in a technological development platform toward a very new version ... we'll call it Maxthon 5.  

Yes some features have disappeared.  For some, it is temporary until they get the basic foundations set.  Some will be replaced by something better (we hope).  Some are so little used, they won't come back.  I lost one of those, but there are alternatives for what will be lost.

<<SL>>

When can we expect Maxthon 5? I can't wait to see, I love this browser but I feel it is much better optimized for Windows 7 rather than Windows 10. 

9 hours ago, Plugger said:

Both methods you describe require 2 clicks, right click and then left click to select.

I don't think the issue is with the number of clicks, it's the fact that there is no obvious way to move a tab to a new window. Having the tabs draggable or a menu option at least makes it a little more evident. Having to create a new window probably isn't the first thing that most non-technical users would be thinking of, esp. if they're coming from another browser.

On Sat Mar 05 2016 14:00:00 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard, SnowLeopard said:

<<SL>>

Ok. How is a user supposed to know that the 4.9 x series is a "technological development platform" (or a beta testing phase program as DaveMax points out)? There is NOTHING on your front page to say that this is what it is. If that would have been made clear I would have NOT installed it. Maybe that is why it was NOT made clear - for you to get free development time from us the user. If that is the case then REMOVE this version and reinstate 4.4.8.2000 as the 'stable' program. Put the 4.9 x version elsewhere where developers  can play around with it to their hearts content and not sick it on unsuspecting users to be your unpaid development monkeys who end up coming here and complaining about things that are not working. One other thing - why do I have to waste MY TIME trawling this forum for an answer to something that can be simply rectified by putting the information about the lack of split screen in the change log? I did read that, you know. Be considerate of others who come here - they are, after all, the reason Maxthon exists. And it exists because it is better than other browsers in some way - each user has their own reason for using Maxthon. Don't shit on that loyalty/enthusiasm/preference by treating us like crap. Otherwise Maxthon will become like all the other browsers out there - a piece of crap with many disaffected users.

Sorry about the tone of this post. I could have said things differently. Apologies for that.

• -ody- locked this topic

Archived