Mx V4.4.8.2000 Installer False Positive

Firstly, I would like to ask what is the difference between Maxthon Browser for Windows V4.9.1.1000 and Maxthon Browser for Windows V4.4.8.2000? As they both look like final releases and this is confusing.

Secondly, my Avast! AV flags this installer as malware, as does Virus Total. I’m guessing this is a false positive.

maxbug1.thumb.jpg.c6aceb27893baf71ab1963

I suppose the difference is that there is the search box again. But it has remained, like taking 4.4.9 or 8.2000 is on some pages: You have an old browser, to make the network install Chrome, and I am surprised, because he is like Chrome work.

They're both final releases, but from different branches.

4.4.8.2000 is feature complete with an older blink core
4.9.1.1000 is missing some features found in 4.4.x, but has a much later blink core.

I would recommend using 4.9, unless you want a feature that hasn't made it's way to this branch yet.

42 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

They're both final releases, but from different branches.

4.4.8.2000 is feature complete with an older blink core
4.9.1.1000 is missing some features found in 4.4.x, but has a much later blink core.

I would recommend using 4.9, unless you want a feature that hasn't made it's way to this branch yet.

OK, thanks.

18 hours ago, DaveMax said:

Firstly, I would like to ask what is the difference between Maxthon Browser for Windows V4.9.1.1000 and Maxthon Browser for Windows V4.4.8.2000? As they both look like final releases and this is confusing.

Just long support period. MX did the same with MX2 after MX3 release and with MX3 after MX4 release. Now the time of MX 4.4. MX 4.9 is test version of MX5. So it's OK. Mozilla do this from time to time for some versions of Firefox. But I wanted to know about it a week ago!

4 hours ago, A.S. said:

Just long support period. MX did the same with MX2 after MX3 release and with MX3 after MX4 release. Now the time of MX 4.4. MX 4.9 is test version of MX5. So it's OK. Mozilla do this from time to time for some versions of Firefox. But I wanted to know about it a week ago!

Thanks, it is a bit confusing. I assumed it was something like this. I don't think Mx 4.9 is quite ready yet as it wouldn't let me stream some TV channels. Wikipedia claim that 4.4.8.1000 (October 29, 2015; 4 months ago) is the current release lol!

Mx 5 might work properly eventually ... until then I'll stick with V4.4.8.2000. 

Archived