Banner saying my version of Chrome outdated.

alex301

Hi,

I have been using Maxthon for some years now and have never previously had a notification about Chrome, although I believe Maxthon to be Chrome based.                                                                

However this morning whilst browsing my usual news sites a banner appeared near the top of the page saying my version of Chrome was out of date and inviting me to click to update. As I always have a full up to date image of my system to fall back on I went to the update page which was a download page for Chrome with  "Make Chrome my default browser " selected. I refused the offer and checked if my Maxthon browser was up to date. It was.

I wonder if anybody can shed any light on this issue ?

Regards , Alex.

51 minutes ago, alex301 said:

Hi,

I have been using Maxthon for some years now and have never previously had a notification about Chrome, although I believe Maxthon to be Chrome based.                                                                

However this morning whilst browsing my usual news sites a banner appeared near the top of the page saying my version of Chrome was out of date and inviting me to click to update. As I always have a full up to date image of my system to fall back on I went to the update page which was a download page for Chrome with  "Make Chrome my default browser " selected. I refused the offer and checked if my Maxthon browser was up to date. It was.

I wonder if anybody can shed any light on this issue ?

Regards , Alex.

you may find some answers here : http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/18785-gmail-sees-maxthon-as-chrome/&do=findComment&comment=97519

sigmax2.png

Hi ody,

Thanks for the input but I can't say I am any the wiser as to what exactly is happening.

I think Ithat Maxthon uses Chrome in some way but I have never before had a notification that was encouraging me to go over to Chrome as my default browser and I am keen to find out why this happened. I'm afraid the link you gave doesn't explain anything in terms that I understand to get me to that position of understanding.

I wonder if you could be kind enough to give me a simple explanation ? It would be much appreciated.

Regards, Alex.

1 hour ago, -ody- said:

23 minutes ago, alex301 said:

Hi ody,

Thanks for the input but I can't say I am any the wiser as to what exactly is happening.

I think Ithat Maxthon uses Chrome in some way but I have never before had a notification that was encouraging me to go over to Chrome as my default browser and I am keen to find out why this happened. I'm afraid the link you gave doesn't explain anything in terms that I understand to get me to that position of understanding.

I wonder if you could be kind enough to give me a simple explanation ? It would be much appreciated.

Regards, Alex.

Maxthon is builded on Webkit/ Blink similar to this used in Chrome.

That's why some websites think that you are using Chrome browser.

30 minutes ago, m▲gg said:

Hi,

Thanks for that. Now I completely understand, it's just a case of mistaken identity and to be ignored.

Regards Alex. 

2 hours ago, m▲gg said:

That's no help whatsoever. As long as these websites THINK I'm running an outdated version of chrome, the PROBLEMS IT CAUSES ARE REAL.

Fact of the matter, maxthon is becoming a PITA to use because more and more sites are calling it "obsolete" or "outdated", etc, etc, etc...

It's a crap shoot as to whether my bill payment page at my bank rejects it; sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

And google is even giving me a hard time - persistently, as evidenced by my enclosed snapshot.

I like maxthon. It has a couple of features that make it shine above every other browser, like embedded translation and a video grabber that will snatch ANY video I can see on a website (however, your default "google cse" sucks BIG TIME. GET RID OF THE CSE! IT DOESN'T WORK CORRECTLY!)

Now what is maxthon going to do about the appearance of obsolescence to a growing number of websites?

junk1.jpg

2 minutes ago, Fed up said:

That's no help whatsoever. As long as these websites THINK I'm running an outdated version of chrome, the PROBLEMS IT CAUSES ARE REAL.

Fact of the matter, maxthon is becoming a PITA to use because more and more sites are calling it "obsolete" or "outdated", etc, etc, etc...

It's a crap shoot as to whether my bill payment page at my bank rejects it; sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

And google is even giving me a hard time - persistently, as evidenced by my enclosed snapshot.

I like maxthon. It has a couple of features that make it shine above every other browser, like embedded translation and a video grabber that will snatch ANY video I can see on a website (however, your default "google cse" sucks BIG TIME. GET RID OF THE CSE! IT DOESN'T WORK CORRECTLY!)

Now what is maxthon going to do about the appearance of obsolescence to a growing number of websites?

You can always update your Maxthon to the last current version, for examle this one http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/18880-maxthon-browser-for-windows-v491100-beta-released/.

Then if you need you can use custom UA from here http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/10453-updated-user-agent/.

You can switch search engines in MX settings or in Searchbar/ Address Bar

Notatka20160219164530.png

31 minutes ago, m▲gg said:

You can always update your Maxthon to the last current version, for examle this one http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/18880-maxthon-browser-for-windows-v491100-beta-released/.

I'll try it, but the disclaimer "Please note: This release is a trial version instead of a final release. Thus, it may have bugs or other potential problems" on that page does not instill me with great confidence...

38 minutes ago, m▲gg said:

Then if you need you can use custom UA from here http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/10453-updated-user-agent/.

Color me stupid, but what's a "user agent"?

39 minutes ago, m▲gg said:

You can switch search engines in MX settings or in Searchbar/ Address Bar

Yes, I've been aware of that from the beginning, and is how I switch - but it's no less a PITA to not be able to have the standard google window as default instead of always bringing up that god-forsaken "CSE" garbage and having to switch EVERY TIME.

The CSE is SO bad that I can't help but wonder WTF somebody was trying to do by making it a part of maxthon in the first place.

1 minute ago, Fed up said:

I'll try it, but the disclaimer "Please note: This release is a trial version instead of a final release. Thus, it may have bugs or other potential problems" on that page does not instill me with great confidence...

Color me stupid, but what's a "user agent"?

Yes, I've been aware of that from the beginning, and is how I switch - but it's no less a PITA to not be able to have the standard google window as default instead of always bringing up that god-forsaken "CSE" garbage and having to switch EVERY TIME.

The CSE is SO bad that I can't help but wonder WTF somebody was trying to do by making it a part of maxthon in the first place.

Read this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_agent, please.

I hope you'll get enough infos from there :wink:.

About Mx beta and disclaimer - it's nothing different than other software in beta versions. Not everyone put such a note into their beta softs.

So you don't need to worry.

You can always try a portable version first.

Well, so far no good. Still showing the "older version of chrome" crap.

So V4.9.1.100 is no different with one exception: NOW MY DESKTOP SHORTCUTS DON'T WORK ANYMORE! WTF?!?!?!?

Also, re: "user agents", how am I supposed to utilize them?

PS: I tried the portable first - no good. Then I tried the installer - still no good.

11 minutes ago, Fed up said:

Well, so far no good. Still showing the "older version of chrome" crap

Could you provide us specific link to this websites that showing you info about old Chrome version, please?

NOW MY DESKTOP SHORTCUTS DON'T WORK ANYMORE

Again, could you be more specific about this issue? Which exactly shortcuts don't work for you and what Maxthon has to do with this?

Also, re: "user agents", how am I supposed to utilize them?

You can set UA's in Mx settings under Advanced Tab.

MaxthonSnap20160219184832.png

22 minutes ago, m▲gg said:

Could you provide us specific link to this websites that showing you info about old Chrome version, please?

The same one I posted in the first place! Here, I'll post it again:

22 minutes ago, m▲gg said:

Again, could you be more specific about this issue? Which exactly shortcuts don't work for you and what Maxthon has to do with this?

How can I be more "more specific" about "desktop shortcuts"? 

They're the desktop shortcuts I made using maxthon's "create desktop shortcut" function!

And NONE of them work.

However, after analyzing them, I can at least convert them by hand which is yet ANOTHER PITA that maxthon is causing me.

Here are the proerties of a maxthon 4.8 shortcut, the quotes are part of the expression:

"C:\Program Files\Maxthon\Bin\MxAppLoader.exe" -MxUrl:"http://www.regular-expressions.info/reference.html"

And here is a maxthon 4.9 shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\Maxthon\Bin\Maxthon.exe" http://www.regular-expressions.info/reference.html

So to convert my shortcuts from 4.8 to 4.9 I have to change "MxAppLoader" to "maxthon", get rid of the "-mxurl:" and remove the quote marks from the url.

junk1.jpg

9 minutes ago, Magdalene said:

You can remove it permanently by deleting the Search extension in the extension centre. then close and restart maxthon and choose your new default search engine. If you multi search you must delete it from there as well.

Whoa!!! I went to delete it per your instructions, and didn't find it listed.

So I doublechecked, and sure enough, with 4.9 the CSE isn't loading!! It's just good ol', plain ol' google!!  :-)

AT least there's ONE good thing going for 4.9  :-)

But thank you for the instructions. If I revert back to my 4.8 (I save it before I overwrote it), I'll execute it there.

35 minutes ago, Fed up said:

The same one I posted in the first place! Here, I'll post it again:

You didn't post any links to your problematic websites... So how we supposed to help you/ check this issue without them?

4 hours ago, Fed up said:

So to convert my shortcuts from 4.8 to 4.9 I have to change "MxAppLoader" to "maxthon", get rid of the "-mxurl:" and remove the quote marks from the url.

Unfortunately that's probably one of the things that changed due to the core update to blink v39. It would've have been nice if MX could auto-detect older style links then update them on first use to the new format just to make the transition a little easier.

7 hours ago, Fed up said:

As long as these websites THINK I'm running an outdated version of chrome, the PROBLEMS IT CAUSES ARE REAL.

Very true, which is why they've updated to blink v39 from v30 in MX4.9. Future releases should be able to be updated to newer blink cores more frequently so there should be less, and less issues related to "unsupported browser" messages.

7 hours ago, Fed up said:

your default "google cse" sucks BIG TIME. GET RID OF THE CSE! IT DOESN'T WORK CORRECTLY!)

Delete it and/or set something else as default. As with most things they're user configurable.

Well, so far no good. Still showing the "older version of chrome" crap.

So V4.9.1.100 is no different 

Based on what i've found it seems it's not related to the blink core. The default user agent includes "WOW64" in the string (on a x64 system). Creating a custom UA without that then stops the banner from appearing. Makes absolutely no sense to me...but that's google for you.

To fix your issue it should be a case of going to Settings > Advanced > Others > enable the "Customise User Agent string" option, select Maxthon from the drop down and remove the WOW64 text from the string. If yours doesn't include that, then please paste what is listed so we can have a look.

At the end of the day Maxthon is a small fish in a very big pond with lots of sharks. They can do what they can, but if Google decides to get very finicky about what they want to support, then it unfortunately makes things harder for Maxthon and their users. Seeing that Maxthon isn't a Chrome clone it may not always be as simple as just updating to a new version.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem.  It doesn't matter which desktop shortcut I select; it doesn't work in Mx 4.9. 

This is a HUGE problem to me b/c I have several hundred desktop shortcuts. 

Is there any way around this problem; or do I have to try to go back to Mx 4.8 or go to Mozilla? 

1 hour ago, Nassau62 said:

I have the same problem.  It doesn't matter which desktop shortcut I select; it doesn't work in Mx 4.9. 

Is there any way around this problem; or do I have to try to go back to Mx 4.8 or go to Mozilla? 

1.  You can stick with 4.4.8.1000.

2.  Better, make new shortcuts in 4.9.1.1000 rather than editing the existing ones.

3.  Store your shortcuts in Favorites instead of littering the desktop.  I have hundreds oi favorites, but no shortcuts on the desktop.   This is the easiest way and it's easily exported and imported from one browser to another.

<<SL>>

2 hours ago, Nassau62 said:

Simply making new shortcuts works fine with 4.9, I'm not using any from 4.4.8.

Dragging a 4.8 shortcut onto Mx 4.9 shortcut on desktop didn't work.  MxAppLoader.exe had to be brought down.  

Unfortunately, after that dragging a 4.8 shortcut to the MxAppLoader.exe still didn't work.

Point of info, dragging a 4.9 shortcut to either Mx 4.9.exe or  MxAppLoader.exe still didn't open 4.9 shortcut.  

Thanks for your help.  I really appreciate it, but my problem remain.

47 minutes ago, Nassau62 said:

Dragging a 4.8 shortcut onto Mx 4.9 shortcut on desktop didn't work.  MxAppLoader.exe had to be brought down.  

Unfortunately, after that dragging a 4.8 shortcut to the MxAppLoader.exe still didn't work.

Point of info, dragging a 4.9 shortcut to either Mx 4.9.exe or  MxAppLoader.exe still didn't open 4.9 shortcut.  

Thanks for your help.  I really appreciate it, but my problem remain.

I meant dragging it directly on to the browser...that works....

6 hours ago, Nassau62 said:

I dragged both 4.8 & 4.9 desktop shortcuts to websites onto Maxthn\Bin\Maxthon.exe,

Nothing opened.  

Am I doing what you suggest?  

I don't think so.  Try launchinng Mx 4.9.1.1000 and drage the shortcut onto the Mx window, not onto the maxthon.exe.

<<SL>>

Archived