4.9.0.3000rc - file:/// protocol fails on SPACE (%20) character

I ccan use the file protocol in 4.9.0.3000 RC fine EXCEPT for path names which contain a SPACE or %20 substitute.

For example file:///C:/Users/lds/Local Settings/ only displays a blank page; likewise file:///C:/Users/lds/My Document/.

With the removal of External Tools I really really need to have the file protocol work for any legitimate Windows path so I can open some websites downloaded to my local HD.

<<SL>>

1 hour ago, 7twenty said:

Odd.

Works fine here for me. Tried with space and %20 which shows as space when the page is opened.

Try portable and see if it still happens on a clean version.

That was the portable version.  I does the same (on Win7) in a clean copy of the portable.  It also does the same in 4.4.8.1000 portable.

You're on Win 10 aren't you.  That might be the difference.  Or installer vs. portable versions ...

<<SL>>

3 hours ago, SnowLeopard said:

That was the portable version.  I does the same (on Win7) in a clean copy of the portable.  It also does the same in 4.4.8.1000 portable.

You're on Win 10 aren't you.  That might be the difference.  Or installer vs. portable versions ...

<<SL>>

I see the same on win 10, if I delete the backslash it works fine. If I use ///D: as a shortcut Maxthon opens ///D:/ which is a blank page, if I delete the backslash and click enter the files are displayed.(but ///D:/ is displayed again in the address bar)

4 hours ago, PHYR said:

I see the same on win 10, if I delete the backslash it works fine. If I use ///D: as a shortcut Maxthon opens ///D:/ which is a blank page, if I delete the backslash and click enter the files are displayed.(but ///D:/ is displayed again in the address bar)

Thanks much.  I tried that and it works.  Now all folders on the opened volume appears as links when I hover over the names even if the names have spaces.  The problem is solved even though I don't know why.  Thank you Microsoft for your "Null-A" logic.

<<SL>>

On 2/7/2016, 5:30:02, SnowLeopard said:

I ccan use the file protocol in 4.9.0.3000 RC fine EXCEPT for path names which contain a SPACE or %20 substitute.

For example file:///C:/Users/lds/Local Settings/ only displays a blank page; likewise file:///C:/Users/lds/My Document/.

With the removal of External Tools I really really need to have the file protocol work for any legitimate Windows path so I can open some websites downloaded to my local HD.

<<SL>>

On 2/7/2016, 11:11:15, PHYR said:

On 2/8/2016, 3:35:51, SnowLeopard said:

Thanks much.  I tried that and it works.  Now all folders on the opened volume appears as links when I hover over the names even if the names have spaces.  The problem is solved even though I don't know why.  Thank you Microsoft for your "Null-A" logic.

<<SL>>

Well, that was too good to last.  I'm stuck with the problem I reported in the first post (1st quote).  The fix PHYR proposed (2nd quote) seemed to work at the time, but does not now.

In short, the file:/// protocol works fine if the path has no spaces or "%20"s in it.  If there are spaces only a blank page shows.

Please make the file protocol on all legitimate Windows file/folder names, which may include space characters.

<<SL>>

Archived