Lost My Adblock Plus After 4.9.0.2800... Sort Of

ddn2003

I installed V4.9.0.2800 over top of V.4.4.8.1000 and all my Adblock Plus custom filters have disappeared... sort of. When I go to a website that had a filter setup, it still loads as if the filter was still there, but nothing shows up in the Custom Filters list and the customrules.dat file is 0 bytes.

CustomFilters1.jpg is what the site normally looks like with ABP off.

CustomFilters2.jpg is what it looks like with ABP on. Notice there are no custom filters in ABP.

Anyone know how to bring back all my custom filters? They appear to be there, just not showing in Maxthon?

CustomFilters1.jpg

CustomFilters2.jpg

1 hour ago, ddn2003 said:

I installed V4.9.0.2800 over top of V.4.4.8.1000 and all my Adblock Plus custom filters have disappeared... sort of. When I go to a website that had a filter setup, it still loads as if the filter was still there, but nothing shows up in the Custom Filters list and the customrules.dat file is 0 bytes.

CustomFilters1.jpg is what the site normally looks like with ABP off.

CustomFilters2.jpg is what it looks like with ABP on. Notice there are no custom filters in ABP.

Anyone know how to bring back all my custom filters? They appear to be there, just not showing in Maxthon?

CustomFilters1.jpg

CustomFilters2.jpg

Adblock for Maxthon does not support filters synchronization.

So you have to add them manually once again.

And you can observe this issue because you should perform clean Mx installation.

4.9 is a completely new branch- you can say even a completely new browser.

So that's why we always suggest to users to do a clean installation - to avoid problems caused by previous version data leftovers.

But it wasn't like I installed Maxthon on another machine. I installed on the same machine to the same folder as Maxthon 4.8. I just appears that Maxthon 4.9 isn't reading the files correctly. I found all my custom filters in the patterns.ini file. And again, they are working, just not showing up in the custom filters list in ABP

patterns.ini

1 minute ago, ddn2003 said:

But it wasn't like I installed Maxthon on another machine. I installed on the same machine to the same folder as Maxthon 4.8. I just appears that Maxthon 4.9 isn't reading the files correctly. I found all my custom filters in the patterns.ini file. And again, they are working, just not showing up in the custom filters list in ABP

patterns.ini

Read carefully once again my post, please.

You shouldn't install new version over the old one.

That's probably caused your problems.

47 minutes ago, ddn2003 said:

Is there an easy way to add them manually?

I'm affraid there isn't any simple way.

Patterns.ini contains only "main" filters (check screenshot - it's your file copied to my Maxthon).

For your custom filters for specific URLs you can only add them one by one using copy/ paste (from your backup if you have it of course).

MaxthonSnap20160126050217.png

2 hours ago, ddn2003 said:

I re-added all my custom filters and they're gone again... yet again, they still work. There is definitely some kind of bug. I can't keep re-adding them every time they disappear.

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Do they disappear when you restart the browser or what is up?

8 hours ago, BugSir007 said:

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Do they disappear when you restart the browser or what is up?

I installed 4.9.0.2800 over top of 4.8 and all my custom filters disappeared (customrules.dat file is 0 bytes now), yet all my custom filters continue to work. I re-added them all in manually, but upon closing Maxthon completely and re-opening it, they were all gone again, yet again, continue to work. There has to be some bug in 4.9.0.2800 with regard to Adblock Plus in 4.9.0.2800 causing this.

3 hours ago, ddn2003 said:

I installed 4.9.0.2800 over top of 4.8 and all my custom filters disappeared (customrules.dat file is 0 bytes now), yet all my custom filters continue to work. I re-added them all in manually, but upon closing Maxthon completely and re-opening it, they were all gone again, yet again, continue to work. There has to be some bug in 4.9.0.2800 with regard to Adblock Plus in 4.9.0.2800 causing this.

Do you ever pay attention to what is written in the forum? Read my lips: Do a clean install. If you don't know what a clean install is you can find out by searching the forum.

32 minutes ago, Plugger said:

Do you ever pay attention to what is written in the forum? Read my lips: Do a clean install. If you don't know what a clean install is you can find out by searching the forum.

I've never had to do a clean install. Everything always worked after updating. This is the first time that I have encountered a problem after installing over top. I will try a clean install when I get home.

44 minutes ago, ddn2003 said:

I've never had to do a clean install. Everything always worked after updating. This is the first time that I have encountered a problem after installing over top. I will try a clean install when I get home.

And what I wrote/ answered before?

4.9 is a completely new branch- you can say even a completely new browser.

So that's why we always suggest to users to do a clean installation - to avoid problems caused by previous version data leftovers.

Archived