Maxthon Settings

Roy0581

I am using Windows 10 and from a couple of weeks ago Maxthon does not retain the settings which I have saved. When I reboot the PC...the home page...tab bar settings are lost and back to defaults. If I set the settings again and close the browser and re-open it without rebooting the PC it will hold the settings. Browser version is 4.4.8.1000. Any ideas? Thanks

On 1/21/2016 9:46:19, Roy0581 said:

I am using Windows 10 and from a couple of weeks ago Maxthon does not retain the settings which I have saved. When I reboot the PC...the home page...tab bar settings are lost and back to defaults. If I set the settings again and close the browser and re-open it without rebooting the PC it will hold the settings. Browser version is 4.4.8.1000. Any ideas? Thanks

Hi,

Please make sure you have not recently installed any installed an app, driver, or update on your windows that may be resetting your browser to default. 

10 hours ago, Roy0581 said:

Tried disabling pop blocker...worked but only for a short while. Still losing settings every now and then.

Do other versions of Maxthon present the same problem? Try out the portable version of the latest version http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/18562-maxthon-browser-for-windows-v4902800-beta-released/ and let us know you findings.

Thanks.

Might be a bit late, but when testing were you signing into a passport account? If so, try without to make sure it's not a an issue with a user setting. Also without using skins.

Generally when something like that happens it's because there is an issue with the saved data, so Maxthon reverts to a default state. If you're still getting the issue on a new portable version without using a passport account, then i'd be looking at your PC.. disk/virus checks etc.

On 22/1/2016 2:27:27, A.S. said:

Yes... Open Menu → Settings → Web content and disable Popup Blocker

I've had this enabled since forever, and almost never disable it for any site. Never had any issues with settings not sticking. Not saying that there isn't an issue as you have described, but i'm curious to know how that setting affects saving/reverting settings?

7 hours ago, 7twenty said:

I've had this enabled since forever, and almost never disable it for any site. Never had any issues with settings not sticking. Not saying that there isn't an issue as you have described, but i'm curious to know how that setting affects saving/reverting settings?

• Web notification on VK.com. When you turn it off, it returns again. 
  • Settings of web notifications in old versions. I think that's why it was removed.
  • Pre-search.

Am sure nothing to do with PC.....all other browsers...Firefox..Opera...Chrome...retain the settings accordingly. I am using Maxthon with an account....all bookmarks etc are saved and retained...home page...tab settings and the enable pop-up blocker are for sure set back to defaults and strangely not always after the next restart.

I am using Maxthon with an account....all bookmarks etc are saved and retained...home page...

Which is why it was asked to test without:

22 hours ago, 7twenty said:

when testing were you signing into a passport account? If so, try without to make sure it's not a an issue with a user setting.

Extract portable version, change some settings, browse to some sites (if you like), close. Start again and see if the settings stick. Then restart your system and check again. If the settings are still there then it's not a Maxthon problem, but more than likely your userdata having some issues.

From there you can try signing in with Passport, but disabling all options for sync, then enable one at a time. And hopefully you'll find one that causes the problem.

Am sure nothing to do with PC.....all other browsers...Firefox..Opera...Chrome...retain the settings accordingly.

Maybe not, but just because other browsers retain their settings, doesn't automatically mean that the issue won't manifest itself in some other means.

As always, it's your choice if you want to take some time to try find and fix it, or live with it, or move to another browser. There's not much more that can be offered here apart from some troubleshooting methods, especially as it's not something that's reproducible by others consistently.

Just recalling an issue where a user had the last visited pages always being deleted after a restart... he blamed Maxthon. Turns out it was a site that had a non-standard character in it's title that Maxthon had issues with. While it was an MX issue to some degree, the cause was a problem with the sites title.

On 22/1/2016 2:27:27, A.S. said:

We tald about this many times! Fix it!

Not sure about the settings related stuff, but you are right that it needs more options in what happens when popups are blocked. Pretty sure the UI used to have a flyout menu showing what was blocked that you could click on to unblock/display them. Doesn't seem to be there anymore.

But that's an issue with Maxthon in general. I think they're trying to be like Apple, make everything dead simple and don't give users m/any advanced options. Really hope they rethink that. Give us an about:flags page!

8 hours ago, 7twenty said:

Not sure about the settings related stuff.

I'm sure. 
Just download old version of Maxthon, create account in VK.com.
Open browser settings and disable web notification. Open VK and wait... wait... wait... Web notifications works again. Thats'whay they removed this settings from browser: it does not work and they did not know why.
Open VK again (all versions, except 4.9), open PM - vk.com/im, and disable web notification on VK.com. Wait... wait... wait... Web notifications works again.
Many people wrote that some settings of VKOpt is lost. This is official, so it works right. Now a few users test this without Popup Blocker. Maybe it will help.
I don't know how it works, but I know that you you lose settings with popup blocker only. Disavle it for all websites and all will work right.

Archived