[WinPC Bug] Maxthon 4.4.7.3000 Autocompletes Wrong URLs.

donjoe

For a few versions now the WinPC Maxthon (portable) has been sporadically exhibiting some very annoying behavior of the URL autocomplete functionality: I will type in 2-3 characters, it will autocomplete the closest matching URL from its history by adding all necessary characters to the right of my cursor in the address bar, but when I hit [Enter] it will navigate to an entirely different URL that also happens to begin with the same 2-3 characters and is also taken from the history. Same happens if I type in the 2-3 characters, wait for the autocomplete to show up in the address bar, press [Tab] first and then [Enter]: damned thing goes to the wrong address. My only workaround in that situation is to keep typing all the characters of the URL I want until there are no more autocompleted characters in the address bar.

But it only happens some of the time.

On Wed Jan 20 2016 12:39:32 GMT+0200 (GTB Standard, BugSir007 said:

Hi,

You are using a kind old version of Maxthon.

You may try the latest version 

http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/18510-maxthon-browser-for-windows-v4902700-beta-released/

Please create a backup for your user data before you install this beta version.

OK, I gave it a shot - the first few attempts at visiting autocompleted URLs did not lead to erroneous redirections, but since this is a sporadic problem I'd have to continue testing for at least a week to be sure the bug really isn't there.

The bigger problem with 4.9.0.2700-beta though is that's probably the slowest browser I've ever used. It's so slow I'd even say it's unusable, so I can't consider it a solution to my problem, even if it does turn out the bug I reported isn't there anymore. I won't be doing any more testing with this monstrously slow version and I'm going back to 4.4.3.7000 for now. When I have time I'll try upgrading to some other version.

(For completeness I'll mention that I performed the upgrade by copying the portable 4.9.0.2700-beta on top of my existing portable 4.4.3.7000. Then I tried using the 4.9 as-is, without any of my personalizations, and it's just as slow as the overwritten version. It's horrible.)

3 hours ago, donjoe said:

The bigger problem with 4.9.0.2700-beta though is that's probably the slowest browser I've ever used

you should try the latest beta which is much faster and lots of bugs have been fixed

you can find it here : 

http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/18562-maxthon-browser-for-windows-v4902800-beta-released/

sigmax2.png

Archived