to Jeff, how many amongst us...

-ody-

8 minutes ago, magg said:

I can't agree with you SnowLeo.

Show me the difference between all chromes extensions capable browsers ( uc browser, baidu spark, aurora, 360 browser, coolnovo even new Opera )

There are no difference between them or they are so small/ cosmetic - different skins or UI for example.

All this browser don't have any unique feature like it was in Mx2 or old Opera for example.

Well one featurre I do like is present in Safari and Avant which is drag-n-drop toolbar customization.  Safari doesn't support skins though.  Avant has that too, plus a special utility for designing different UI's.  

And Avant has three rendering cores to select from.  It uses the Chrome core but I don't see it as a Chrome-clone with its (Mx2-like, I believe) drag-n-drop UI restructuring ability.  It's drag-n-drop leaves Safari way behind.  I seems to stand in Mx2's place now.  But I haven't used it enough to say how this flexibility affects responsiveness and speed.

I'm hoping we'll get some of this flexibility in MX5.

<<SL>>

1 hour ago, MaxthonJeff said:

The cloud push and some cloud related feature is not somthing very useful. 

A lot of users have different opinion about that - so not only I think the same.

But I understand that the decision has already been taken... 

Is there any ETA when you will shut down Push to Cloud servers?

I and many other users should know when we can expect this.

Thanks in advance.

We are having a rehash of things that have been said for years. Since I started with MYIE2 is mid 2004 I have litteraly never used another browser. I am not a  power user anymore so the things that made me interested in the first browser were mulitple tabs and some other features. There were always a lot of complaining about not listening to users for missing features or features taken out. Nothing was ever acknowledged by the Maxthon staff or users having the feeling they were being listened to. I first wrote to Bloodchen in 2004 and never got a reply or acknowledgement of receiving the PM. Many big time helpers have left and not heard from again. Why?

The new version is constantly telling me it cannot get a request and  now I just go to Edge and get it to run. Why? Quite often when someone complains the answer is to turn off extensions and try again. Why should that be a resolution? I do not feel that Maxthon is progressing as it should and give users a first rate browser. I am from the USA and when I talk to people about Maxthon not one has said they have heard of it. That is discouraging and says that what should be a great browser is not meeting needs.

I probably will continue to use Maxthon but it is less a certainty today and it wouldn't take much to go to Edge full time. Maxthon is the only third party browser I have used except for a two trial another one but I came back to Maxthon.

Please listen and develop a great browser that folks are proud to use and talk about. I doesn't have to be completely techie but a good working browser with options for people to us.

I don't post anymore but I am here every day. I have had over 1000 posts but with the changes in the forum that is all lost.   

Maxthon was created as a replacement for the once popular and imperfect Internet Explorer. Has fulfilled its function. Then came the standalone version and further their development.

Today, the world is dominated by the Chrome browser and Maxthon willy-nilly has to be compatible with Chrome, in order to be able to exist and break. And how are you supposed to Pierce? Offering what Chrome is gone, or is used as a add-in that you need to find, download and pay for the extension.

The trouble is that updates Chrome and it's the same browser engine are so often that Maxthon may have a problem with nadążeniem. But there is no other way. Google today is dominated by (like Microsoft) and set the standard. Or like Maxthon, adjust or disappear as obsolete product.

There is also another aspect of how it works today and what is Maxthon. China. Maxthon is from China. There it kind of is the world shut down, cut off from the popular Facebook, Youtube, or Google. There are Chinese counterparts, the Chinese standards, which do not necessarily have to correspond to what he wants the rest of the world. And this may be a key problem Maxthon.

7 hours ago, VampireLestat said:

the whole Vivaldi UI is made of CSS and Javascript

So is Maxthon's. All the UI/dialogs etc is HTML/CSS, and there's some Javascript for some of the internal pages, which while can be changed isn't as straight forward as the rest.

3 hours ago, jerber said:

when I talk to people about Maxthon not one has said they have heard of it.

Of course not. 90% of users probably barely know what browser they use, let alone some tiny company out of China. Most people probably couldn't name the big 4. Despite what people may want to think, Maxthon has no clout in the browser space. And now with a new browser being born every other day, and many just Chromium-clones, the best they can do is create a solid browser that does what the user wants and hope that people find and use it. If they can add something unique to it to drive new users to it, then that would be even better.

What Jeff has stated about MX5 sounds promising and even somewhat intriguing. Obviously it's in his best interest to talk it up, but at the same time, it's also imperative that he follows through. The amount of users here that are thinking of or have jumped ship should be a huge foghorn to him and the company that users want a good browser - and that there are other options to choose from if MX can't provide it.

@slawomirro makes a good point. Chrome has made itself the standard, and other browsers need to leverage that to their best advantage. Jeff has already said that MX5 will be able to keep up with core updates much quicker than previously, and if CRX compatibility comes in as well + whatever users like about MX, then we may have a browser that users will like... but only time will tell.

6 hours ago, magg said:

There are no difference between them or they are so small/ cosmetic - different skins or UI for example.

That's a good point, but at the same time they all have a basic set of features/controls/compatibility across all of them. There's definitely pro's/con's with both methods.

I'm loathe to admit it, but — I too share some of the same feelings.  I realize technology can be fleeting, but I'd like a browser that grows with me over the years to become more powerful and flexible, one with that encourages a growing user base to develop plugins and custom solutions that will themselves draw more people to the fold.  Rewriting the core of a program or starting from the ground up is sometimes necessary, but it means users who stay through the reboot lose functionality they're vested in and plugin development and outreach periodically grind to a sudden halt.

Bloat is never a good thing — but a lean, futureproof browser with long-reaching backward compatibility that will support plugins and customizations both existing and yet-to-be-developed strikes me as the development goal for a Web browser.  Easier said that done, I know — but when fears of "bloat" result in a regular reinvention of the wheel, you're going to lose long-time users who are heavily vested.  In other software realms, where users have gone on to completely different platforms (say, social media), that's not a big concern.  But in the world of browsers, maybe developers should be playing a longer game.  We may think of the marketplace as an infinitely renewable well of new users, but the truth is that niche browsers can fish in only a tiny portion of that ocean.  If we scare off the fish where we live, we'll go hungry.  I fear a significant portion of the relatively small population of Web surfers willing to make a deliberately off-label browser choice are now former Maxthon users — people who "loved MyIE2" or "miss Maxthon 2" or "wish Nitro had gone somewhere."  Those aren't people especially keen to put all their eggs into the basket of Maxthon 5.

There's a lot I love about Maxthon 3 and 4 — but there are a ton of features I miss from Maxthon 2, and Max has never regained the robust community of plugin developers it once had.  Even the user community has atrophied, due in large part to false starts and muddled, inconsistent channels of communication.

I don't want to pile on the "beat up on Jeff" bandwagon, but in my estimation, any independent browser needs a dedicated, growing user base.  Each Maxthon reset (be it of engine, browser architecture, or forum) provides a too-convenient jumping-off point for users to abandon the software and move on to another solution.  Most software is lucky to take one quantum leap forward in innovation during its lifetime that will bring in a large number of new users; the rest of its growth comes from servicing that one giant leap.

My fear is that Maxthon's fickle development path is making it grow ex-users faster than it grows current users.

And maybe this bears asking:  What's so terrible about being a Chrome clone?

27 minutes ago, HPB1 said:

Hi Jeff don't worry ,most of the Maxthon user and fans trust you ,including me.Jeff you are a very clever man and I think in a long run you will bring the Maxthon Browser in line and back to the top ! Jeff your fans believes & loves you and your Maxthon Browser! :)

Thanks for the nice words, espeically in this moment. I will do my best and hope to bring the best to beloved users.

??Set your payment address in profile if you have not. Let's reward people who contribute to Maxthon community. ❤️❤️ Click Here ❤️❤️

29 minutes ago, MaxthonJeff said:

Thanks for the nice words, espeically in this moment. I will do my best and hope to bring the best to beloved users.

Hello MaxthonJeff

I am pleased to see that, at least for now not only is dedicated to look in the Forum!

12 hours ago, No.1MaxthonFan said:

I say we just go back to Maxthon 2 and add Cloud functionality to it.  I'm sure a lot of people would be happy with that, don't you think?

Not sure ;)

AFAIR MX2 doesn't have download manager and i don't want to install thirdparty products to download files ))))))

So - just adding cloud features is not enough! ;)

26 minutes ago, Kilmatar said:

Not sure ;)

AFAIR MX2 doesn't have download manager and i don't want to install thirdparty products to download files ))))))

So - just adding cloud features is not enough! ;)

You're wrong.

Mx 2 has a great downloader with plenty of useful settings like bandwidth management.

Bez tytułu.jpg

Bez tytułu2.jpg

The only MX2 feature I'm missing is configurable URL domain auto complete in address bar. For example, typing 'somedomain' in the address bar, followed by CTRL+ENTER should open the url 'www.somedomain.be' for me. I found it a big step backwards, when in later MX versions I had to start typing the whole thing again, www.domain.be, instead of just 'domain'.

Apart from that, I'm still a convinced MX user, because it has a set of unique features that I miss in other browsers.

Here's a small wrapp-up:

top features I use daily

- mouse gestures
- url aliases
- quick access
- magic fill
- flexibility to configure what you open in new tab (I open everything in a new tab: address bar input, mouse dragging a link, ....)
- screen capture! (I use it all the time at work, sometimes I would just start MX just for the CTRL+F1 , haha)

other features I use not every day but still frequently
- split screen
- cloud push
- translate
- open a new window in a new session

other features I value
- add blocker
- SkyNote
- cloud sync (favorites, quick access, magic fill, smart address bar)
- dual rendering engine (Ultra/Retro), athough, should be less important in the future, as we get rid of IE, and websites finally start getting compliant with standards :)

- reader mode

- smart address bar

features I never/hardly use

- night mode

- resource sniffer

- change skins

What features I would like to see added in the future

- compatibility with Chrome add-ons

- the return of configurable URL auto-complete :-)

- quick access: allow to choose per tile (instead of globally) whether to show a website screenshot thumbail or not. Why? because screenshots are blank (so i don't see what it is!), and if I use the background color instead, some titles are cutt-off and with too big fonts (so I also don't see what it is!).

What sucks most in Maxthon for me
websites / web apps that use daily don't properly work in Maxthon and this forces me to use Chrome for these particular sites. Sometimes issues are solved after some releases, some come back sometime...

There were several issues with pre-4.9.x releases, but all/most are solved now:
- google maps zoom not working
- google drive not properly functioning
- google photo display issues
- problems with office 365, with sharepoint: functionality missing,..
- features missing in some web apps, such as stash (could not create new branch, etc...)
- flash movie playing issues every now and then

As said, these issues are mainly solved now (4.9.x), I mention them just to clarify what particular things put me off, and make me think it's time to change browser.

Summary

To summarize: most important to me is that MX and it's current unique and useful feature set keep working in a stable way, and that they manage to render today's web sites in the way that they were designed. A stable, reliable browser is more important than any additional fancy stuff!

5 hours ago, Pascal1703 said:

other features I use not every day but still frequently
- split screen
- cloud push
- translate

Nice to see that I'm not the only one who (still) use Cloud Push almost daily.

Seriously I'll be missing this feature much. That's why I stick with 4.4.8 version so far.

It's really interesting that  all browsers already have or will have in the near future ALL Cloud features (including Cloud Push substitute) like it is/ was in Maxthon.

This FF's addon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/send-tab-to-device/ soon will be built in/ main part of Firefox (officialy confirmed by Mozilla). You can check easily how many users have it installed... Already tried this and I can say it works great!

Another extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-chrome-to-phone-ex/oadboiipflhobonjjffjbfekfjcgkhco?hl=en (there are several more) - and how many user it have? 1,460,163 users!!! But this addon is not even half good and useful as it in Maxthon... Google also confirmed that they develope something similar to Cloud Push. It will be also built in Chrome for all devices.

I'm also a big fan and user of split screen. Why it is removed in 4.9...? 

Another example - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fox-splitter/ a random split screen addon for FF. Of course there are more. Here you can also check how many users it has.

And another https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dualless/bgdpkilkheacbboffppjgceiplijhfpd?hl=en-GB... There are many examples

Really I don't understand why the people responsible for Maxthon (I mean Jeff mostly) trying to invent the wheel again?

All unique and key Maxthon's features have already been or will be removed . Why? Maxthon always was features rich browser out - of - box. 

On Fri Jan 15 2016 13:41:48 GMT+0300 (RTZ 2, Pascal1703 said:

The only MX2 feature I'm missing is configurable URL domain auto complete in address bar. For example, typing 'somedomain' in the address bar, followed by CTRL+ENTER should open the url 'www.somedomain.be' for me. I found it a big step backwards, when in later MX versions I had to start typing the whole thing again, www.domain.be, instead of just 'domain'.

So many times i was wrote about this missing feature. And still not even forum reaction from someone from Maxthon

I can almost copy-paste what Pascal 1703 wrote:

Top Maxthon Cloud features I use ALL THE TIME

- mouse gestures
- URL aliases
- quick access
- search engines
- magic fill
- resource sniffer
- screen capture! (all the time at work, sometimes Maxthon just stays opened in taskbar, because of the screenshot capability)

other features I use daily:
- split screen
- cloud push
- translate

other features I value
- add blocker
- cloud sync (favorites, quick access, magic fill, smart address bar)
- dual rendering engine (Ultra/Retro)
- smart address bar

features I never/hardly use

- night mode
- change skins

Archived