to Jeff, how many amongst us...

-ody-

how many amongst us still use maxthon because we would feel guilty if we didnt, because we just can't give up, or because we are too lazy to change.. and refuse to admit it is no longer the top browser that got us so impressed 

most of us here share the same feelings, I feel depressed.. reading that Nr1., Tony, Magg, Ldfa and all those i have forgotten (please forgive me) just think the same is a terrible thing. I don't know about a several other who don't say much but probably think the same way

most of us have been here from the beginning, it's a long story and I would hate it to end.

So please Jeff, again, listen to us, (read this http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/18421-changelog-for-maxthon-test-version-4902600/&page=2#comment-95910) :  we don't want to lose features, we don't want maxthon to be just another chrome clone

Please, go back to what made Myie2 unique : a versatile (full featured) and highly customizable browser

thank you

sigmax2.png

well put - i use it out of laziness certainly - laziness to find something that gives me the features i want on a day to day basis - maxthon does most of what i want - well MX4 does - 4.9 is a different story - i use it most of the time until it decides to crash or freeze or some other random annoyance - each build is better but fixing bugs is only part of it - where are all the missing features - some it was stated would not get into the final build - ok - if thats as it is then nothing said here will alter that mindset - it never has in the past - but theres plenty still to add that NEEDS to be there

as to MX5 - its pie in the sky - flyng pigs or seems so - if it happens then it looks as though it will be too little to late unless it is the final polished article - again history tells us it wont be - just years of beta builds until MX6 

i guess all this will be whistling into the wind - nobody will comment or at best it will be meaningless platitudes - if the project has run its course and new things are paying the company better then say so - nothing is forever in life let alone the internet - if all we have as the final goodbye is MX4 then fine i will stick with that until you turn the servers off or something else comes along

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

Just copy& paste some of my posts from our internal forum - I want to let users know what it looks like behinde the curtain- if you don't mind...

Interesting thing - since version 4.9 has been released on open forum the vast majority of posts includes only criticism and grousing.

But what can you expect?

Rhetorical question - when Maxthons developers realize that they only lose their users because they take such strange decisions?

Just for reminding - more users = more $$$.

AFAIK Maxthon isn't even in top 3 in China's browser market share (7Star Browser, 360 Browser, Baidu Spark, Cheetah, QQ Browser, UC Browser are more popular in China than Mx/ but you have to remember that there are also IE, Chrome, Firefox and so one) 

Ok, from the very beginning Mx was a niche browser - but now it is meaningless and (almost) dead browser.

EDIT: Some old statistics http://www.chinainternetwatch.com/8757/top-web-browsers-china/

http://www.chinainternetwatch.com/12582/top-6-desktop-browsers-in-china-in-2014/

https://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=2&qpcustomd=0

10 hours ago, BugSir006 said:

Whether to add this feature depends on our users. As so little uses use this feature , so we cancel it... We will do a study about add the features in the future :)

But it makes Maxthon an unique browser!

As I mentioned many times: why not to do a survey/ poll about Cloud features ?

For example what will happen to all files stored on Cloud storage (in MX Downloader)?!

Now users of Mx 4.9 lost access to their files!

Yes you can still access with Mx for Android but what if someones doesn't have a smartphone?

So now even android version of Maxthon will be stripped from these useful features, yes?

It just only my opinion but after that Mx Android will lose many users because it will be nothing different from any other browsers available in Google Play.

It's just a small piece of our concerns...

Too late! MX4 was a mistake. MX3 had many problems, but MX3 was able to become something cool. Look on MX4: many steps back only for one new features. But Cloud Push is just sync. 
I don't think that MX5 so bad. But I think that MX5 should be released in 2012 instead MX4. And I worry about "Chrome 39 browser core", because Chrome is not core and MX never be Crhomium-based.
But look on Nitro. Add user scripts and Nirto will be perfect browser for geeks. We don't need extensions if we have scripts and bookmarklets. And normal ABP. ABP in Nitro does not work now. 

1 hour ago, A.S. said:

But look on Nitro. Add user scripts and Nirto will be perfect browser for geeks. We don't need extensions if we have scripts and bookmarklets. And normal ABP. ABP in Nitro does not work now. 

Thank you for your reply - it's the first thing.

2nd - you can forget about it - Nitro is a dead project already. It ended the same way like many other Maxthons project - Mx for: Linux, Mac, WinPhone; Rover, Skyfile, uumail and probably Trunx now.

I am sorry to say that but Mx devs don't want listen to users. IMHO whole  section Feature Request& User Voices  is unnecessary.

Devs have their own vision on the browser and don't want to know what exactly users need and what they request for.

It's really sad...

Notatka20160109110307.png

i think you are a little generous Magg - the devs [imo] add what they are instructed to and leave out features in a similar way - the project/s are driven from the top [Jeff] - nothing wrong with that its his company and [was] his vision that got us to where we are today - but as an outsider looking in that vision has become blurred or maybe he got distracted along the way as the company grew and the money flowed - i have seen that many times in all walks of life

as a comment and advice - not that history tells us it will be listened to i would say - go back to your roots - go back to what worked - the history is good - the original 2 incarnations - MyIE and MX2 were exceptional - users came on board in droves - a feature rich browser was unique - imo the need is still there 

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

15 minutes ago, Tony said:

i think you are a little generous Magg - the devs [imo] add what they are instructed to and leave out features in a similar way - the project/s are driven from the top [Jeff] - nothing wrong with that its his company and [was] his vision that got us to where we are today - but as an outsider looking in that vision has become blurred or maybe he got distracted along the way as the company grew and the money flowed - i have seen that many times in all walks of life

as a comment and advice - not that history tells us it will be listened to i would say - go back to your roots - go back to what worked - the history is good - the original 2 incarnations - MyIE and MX2 were exceptional - users came on board in droves - a feature rich browser was unique - imo the need is still there 

Of course Tony that you're right.

Maybe there is too much generalize in my post. It's nothing wrong that Jeff has own vision of Maxthon. But he could/ should (?) be more open to hear user voices.

I will say it again - more (satisfied) users = more ca$h for Jeff and his co - workers.

Now, even Microsoft is more open to all users suggestions -  Windows 10 and Insider system.

I repeat - MICROSOFT - big corporation listen to users and their requests!

I admit we did not do a good job with mx4. We kinda LOST. The cloud push and some cloud related feature is not somthing very useful. With mx5 we have features that users asked for a long time, like TRUE cross platform experience, unified design, sync password quick acess across all your devices etc. An innovative bookmark system. A better browser core structure, so we can keep up with blink core quickly. We also want to be 100% compatible with Chrome’s add-on system. I hope you can be more patient, because we need time to build it. But if you don’t, I totally understand.

Jeff

??Set your payment address in profile if you have not. Let's reward people who contribute to Maxthon community. ❤️❤️ Click Here ❤️❤️

2 minutes ago, MaxthonJeff said:

We also want to be 100% compatible with Chrome’s add-on system.

But if Maxthon will become Chromium-based browser like almost every browser today it will be bigger mistake.

10 minutes ago, MaxthonJeff said:

I admit we did not do a good job with mx4. We kinda LOST. The cloud push and some cloud related feature is not somthing very useful. With mx5 we have features that users asked for a long time, like TRUE cross platform experience, unified design, sync password quick acess across all your devices etc. An innovative bookmark system. A better browser core structure, so we can keep up with blink core quickly. We also want to be 100% compatible with Chrome’s add-on system. I hope you can be more patient, because we need time to build it. But if you don’t, I totally understand.

Jeff

Thank You Jeff for taking your time and your reply here..

Unfortunately, I fear that Mx5 will be just another Chrome clone, without any unique features like it was in the past.

But it's just my opinion which is based only on guesswork and this short announces from you.

2 minutes ago, A.S. said:

But if Maxthon will become Chromium-based browser like almost every browser today it will be bigger mistake.

Mark my words, it will not be a Chromium-clone. We just want our users be able to use some good add-ons, instead of re-invent them. but don’t expect to see this at early version of mx5.

??Set your payment address in profile if you have not. Let's reward people who contribute to Maxthon community. ❤️❤️ Click Here ❤️❤️

2 minutes ago, magg said:

Thank You Jeff for taking your time and you reply here..

Unfortunately, I fear that Mx5 will be just another Chrome clone, without any unique features like it was in the past.

But it's just my opinion which is based only on guesswork and this short announces from you.

On the contrary, mx5 will be very different from Chrome. For example, to my oponion, Chrome (and all other browsers) does not have a TRUE cross platform experience. It gives you very little value to use them in difference platform and devices. mx5 is designed with multiple platforms in mind.

Have to say, the way Maxthon is developing and going the way of Opera or Firefox from a feature rich browser into a minimalist product to most likely be of appeal to simple users,  makes me not pleased. Guess Maxthon has just become another company which thinks that being like Google Chrome=more simple users which gives a higher market share than with a customizable browser  is the answer.

And for that reason i am using Vivaldi more and more in the future. May be a real Chrome clone, but shows that it is nothing wrong with being a niche browser and users are indeed still heavily interested in a niche browser. Otherwise, Maxthon would have died already with version 3. Anyway, if a Chrome look-a-like feature wise is really what is wished of Maxthon to become, then Vivaldi full time it will be for me.

And why? It has tons of more customization features than Maxthon 4 and it even has add-on support.

1 minute ago, VampireLestat said:

Have to say, the way Maxthon is developing and going the way of Opera or Firefox from a feature rich browser into a minimalist product to most likely be of appeal to simple users,  makes me not pleased. Guess Maxthon has just become another company which thinks that being like Google Chrome=more simple users which gives a higher market share than with a customizable browser  is the answer.

And for that reason i am using Vivaldi more and more in the future. May be a real Chrome clone, but shows that it is nothing wrong with being a niche browser and users are indeed still heavily interested in a niche browser. Otherwise, Maxthon would have died already with version 3. Anyway, if a Chrome look-a-like feature wise is really what is wished of Maxthon to become, then Vivaldi full time it will be for me.

We will not follow Chrome. We know people use Maxthon for it’s cool features. mx5 will still be a feature rich browser, but not bloated. 

In that case i hope you realize that advanced UI customization features are no bloat. What is bloat is for example what Firefox has added in the past. Chat or Pocket integration. This is feature material for add-ons, but to change UI skins or being able to activate/disable buttons, bar elements has nothing to do with bloat at all.

Also, you can hide all advanced features which others could see as so called bloat behind some special advanced menu. So everyone who is not using a feature can ignore it but the one who wants it, can activate it.

1 hour ago, MaxthonJeff said:

On the contrary, mx5 will be very different from Chrome. For example, to my oponion, Chrome (and all other browsers) does not have a TRUE cross platform experience. It gives you very little value to use them in difference platform and devices. mx5 is designed with multiple platforms in mind.

Ok, I understand that it's a part of PR. Nothing wrong with it.

But I don't quite agree with you, Jeff.

All old - big - firm like Google with Chrome, FirefoX and Opera have true and great working cross platform browsers.

They also have cross platform sync (bookmarks, quick access and so one). So it's nothing new.

The one of the key things in Mx 4 was Push to Cloud. Any other browser doesn't have this unique feature...

1 minute ago, magg said:

Ok, I understand that it's a part of PR. Nothing wrong with it.

But I don't quite agree with you, Jeff.

All old - big - firm like Google with Chrome, FirefoX and Opera have true and great working cross platform browsers.

They also have cross platform sync (bookmarks, quick access and so one). So it's nothing new.

The one of the key things in Mx 4 was Push to Cloud. Any other browser doesn't have this unique feature...

I cannot convience you without the real product. I know what other browsers do but I still think mx5 will be better.

On Sat Jan 09 2016 16:33:58 GMT+0100 (Środkowoeuropejski czas, MaxthonJeff said:

I cannot convience you without the real product. I know what other browsers do but I still think mx5 will be better.

Ok you're right.

Time will tell us the true and users will verified this.

I am a Mx users since MyIE2 (late 2004).

MyIE2 was great browser, MX2 too. MX3 gaves hope for nice browser, first MX4 builds also.

I really still love Maxthon (it's toxic love) but I fear about Mx future.

Many of us (admins, mods, testers) already changed their main browsers to other; other of us thinking about the same.

I know that Mx is yours browser and your buissnes Jeff.

But you could start building a browser with users, with their requests and needs - for users.

As I said before -  section Feature Request& User Voices  is unnecessary  in this situations.

That's all.

5 minutes ago, MaxthonJeff said:

I am glad that you understand that for old users MX5 is your last chance. But I think that almost all will be agree that one of the main problems MX is "closed". We don't know anything about development and developers. You just added Search addon without any explanation. You added TaoBao ad. Your blog is dead. But your blog have to be tha main source of information about browser. Even your forum moderators don't know anything about development progress and your plans. You should talk with community. Like now.
P.S. And if you here and if you have time for this, can we talk about forum issues? It's only my (and several other users) problem, but perhaps only you can do anything. We are trying to add you to the chat with admins for a long time.

Even if you add a feature which is perhaps not that popular for other users, but popular for only a minority, there is nothing wrong in doing so. Different users = different workflows. At least you should try to give everyone something, even if it a small minority. Of course you can not add every feature request, but the recent policy of what is added and what is not added should be put in question just a little bit.

If i may refer again to Vivaldi= Tons of customization features like tab stacking or page tiling (4 pages on one single screen) and tons of other features do not make the browser much slower. And to top that, the whole Vivaldi UI is made of CSS and Javascript and it is still not that much slower than Chrome.

So, Maxthon should also be able to support quite much features, even if some may be called as bloat, but Blink core is indeed able to handle tons of features and offer still a quite good speed.

4 minutes ago, A.S. said:

I am glad that you understand that for old users MX5 is your last chance. But I think that almost all will be agree that one of the main problems MX is "closed". We don't know anything about development and developers. You just added Search addon without any explanation. You added TaoBao ad. Your blog is dead. But your blog have to be tha main source of information about browser. Even your forum moderators don't know anything about development progress and your plans. You should talk with community. Like now.
P.S. And if you here and if you have time for this, can we talk about forum issues? It's only my (and several other users) problem, but perhaps only you can do anything. We are trying to add you to the chat with admins for a long time.

I welcome and glad to communicate with any users. But I cannot take care of EVERYTHING. I want to spending more time thinking and designing mx5, believe me, it’s not easy. That’s why we have dedicated people here in forum, BugSir and BugMiss. Tell me if they don’t take care of you well ;-)

also, I can be always reached via forum88 AT jeff.uu.me .(replase AT with @ )

To make my last post here in that topic, may i suggest something:

How about giving advanced users at least 10-15% of their wish-list features? Just collect all the not mainstream power user requests and make an official poll and the most voted 5-10 features will be added into Maxthon 5 over time?

I would not see that amount of advanced features as bloat. And with a move like that you can largely silence all the Maxthon critics. Think about that Jeff, with that you could show that you care also for not mainstream users :)

15 minutes ago, magg said:

Ok you're right.

Time will tell us the true and users will verified this.

I am a Mx users since MyIE2 (late 2004).

MyIE2 was great browser, MX2 too. MX3 gaves hope for nice browser, first MX4 builds also.

I really still love Maxthon (it's toxic love) but I fear about Mx feature.

Many of us (admins, mods, testers) already changed their main browsers to other; other of us thinking about the same.

I know that Mx is yours browser and your buissnes Jeff.

But you could start building a browser with users, with their requests and needs - for users.

As I said before -  section Feature Request& User Voices  is unnecessary  in this situations.

That's all.

I value long time users like you. What we have with mx5 is exactly the result what we learnt from users. 

52 minutes ago, A.S. said:

Being compatible, even 100% compatible, is not the same as being a Chrome-clonne.  On the other hand using CEF (did i rememmber that right?) comes  much closer to cloning.  But it's still possible to build different functionality on the same foundation.  .So it's not necessary that Mx 5 would be a Chrome close.

We'll see what develops ....

<<SL>>

8 minutes ago, MaxthonJeff said:

I welcome and glad to communicate with any users. But I cannot take care of EVERYTHING. I want to spending more time thinking and designing mx5, believe me, it’s not easy. That’s why we have dedicated people here in forum, BugSir and BugMiss. Tell me if they don’t take care of you well ;-)

Russian forum moderator broke forum rules, but administrators can not do anything with him. They blocked many users for smaller sins, but Fortuner still has power. And nobody can answer why. Because "somebody have to moderate Russian section". Zork and ALeXkRU can do it better: they will not use forum for personal revenge.

2 minutes ago, A.S. said:

Russian forum moderator broke forum rules, but administrators can not do anything with him. They blocked many users for smaller sins, but Fortuner still has power. And nobody can answer why. Because "somebody have to moderate Russian section". Zork and ALeXkRU can do it better: they will not use forum for personal revenge.

I see. I will see what we can do about it. For non-English forum, we do rely on you people to follow the rule and run the forum well. 

2 minutes ago, SnowLeopard said:

Being compatible, even 100% compatible, is not the same as being a Chrome-clonne.  On the other hand using CEF (did i rememmber that right?) comes  much closer to cloning.  But it's still possible to build different functionality on the same foundation.  .So it's not necessary that Mx 5 would be a Chrome close.

We'll see what develops ....

<<SL>>

I can't agree with you SnowLeo.

Show me the difference between all chromes extensions capable browsers ( uc browser, baidu spark, aurora, 360 browser, coolnovo even new Opera )

There are no difference between them or they are so small/ cosmetic - different skins or UI for example.

All this browser don't have any unique feature like it was in Mx2 or old Opera for example.

3 minutes ago, MaxthonJeff said:

For non-English forum, we do rely on you people to follow the rule and run the forum well. 

And all what that you rely on is his honesty. What bad can do ordinary users? But he has power to remove and edit other users post. And he do it. Because he can.
P.S. I know that this is not best place to talk about this, but I try do anything with this almost 7 months.

13 minutes ago, magg said:

I can't agree with you SnowLeo.

Show me the difference between all chromes extensions capable browsers ( uc browser, baidu spark, aurora, 360 browser, coolnovo even new Opera )

There are no difference between them or they are so small/ cosmetic - different skins or UI for example.

All this browser don't have any unique feature like it was in Mx2 or old Opera for example.

You should take a look at Vivaldi. Chromium based but with tons of unique features, you can even rewrite the whole UI as it is non native. But in general i agree with you, there is almost no difference between most Chromium based browsers, the only difference it would make if you create an own UI on top of Chromium engine, own API which both would enable an unique feature set.

Or take a look at Otter-Browser, it still may use QTWebkit, but after it's switch to QTWebengine it also is able to keep it's unique features which are 100% not Chrome similar.

So, i hope Maxthon 5 will feature a special unique non Chrome like UI, because if all the UI customization Maxthon 4 features would be gone, this would be beyond terrible. And you would not be able to recreate that with Chrome extensions as those are so terrible limited in functionality for example compared with Firefox ones. On the other side, Mozilla is too dumping their unique platform for switching to Chrome's limited platform.

Anyway point is that: if Maxthon 5 will be Maxthon Linux look-a-like, then Maxthon will be nothing unique at all anymore, because Maxthon for Linux was limited like Chrome and no joy to use.

Just now, VampireLestat said:

You should take a look at Vivaldi. Chromium based but with tons of unique features, you can even rewrite the whole UI as it is non native. But in general i agree with you, there is almost no difference between most Chromium based browsers, the only difference it would make if you create an own UI on top of Chromium engine, own API which both would enable an unique feature set.

Or take a look at Otter-Browser, it still may use QTWebkit, but after it's switch to QTWebengine it also is able to keep it's unique features which are 100% not Chrome similar.

I know very well Vivaldi and Otter Browser :) that's why I didn't mention about these browsers here.

Otter is from my country :wink:

Archived