Problem with HTML5 player when GPU Acceleration is on

One more question from russian speaking user:

- When I play HD and Full-HD video (720p & 1080p) on Youtube through HTML5 - and option 'Enable GPU hardware acceleration' is on, my CPU loaded to 99%. So GPU Acceleration doesn't work when video plays in HTML5?

If I watch video through Adobe Flash Player (with 'Disable YouTube HTML5 Player' addon) my CPU loaded less then 15%.

Last 2 years I tryed all stable versions MX4 - same thing everythere.

WinXP SP3 (with all updates) 
NVIDIA 550Ti (drivers are always updated) 
Maxthon 4.4.8.1000 (default settings)

1 minute ago, fOrTune(r) said:

One more question from russian speaking user:

- When I play HD and Full-HD video (720p & 1080p) on Youtube through HTML5 - and option 'Enable GPU hardware acceleration' is on, my CPU loaded to 99%. So GPU Acceleration doesn't work when video plays in HTML5?

If I watch video through Adobe Flash Player (with 'Disable YouTube HTML5 Player' addon) my CPU loaded no more then 15%.

Last 2 years I tryed all stable versions MX4 - same thing everythere.

WinXP SP3 (all updates) 
NVIDIA 550Ti (drivers always new) 
Maxthon 4.4.8.1000 (default settings)

For a long time GPU acc is broken in Maxthon.

Hope in future builds it will be fixed.

Well, this issue doesn't occur in Maxthon only, other browsers also have the same issue. IE and Edge are more better in decoding YouTube HD/FHD/4K videos than Chrome, Firefox, Maxthon etc. The videos have no stutter at all, 4K still smooth without any high CPU usage and 60 FPS videos won't consume high CPU power. It's because IE and Edge gets to play mp4/avc formats (H.264) that are hardware accelerated by the GPUs. Chrome, Firefox, and Maxthon gets VP8/VP9 where the CPU has to do almost everything on processing. The higher the video resolution, the worse the video playback quality.

Nowadays, YouTube streams video by using VP8 and VP9 codecs as the default video encoder. VP8 and VP9 are an open source codec developed by Google. It can process the video on YouTube to rendered with buffer free and consumes considerably less data/bandwidth than H.264. However, VP8 and VP9 can cause performance issue on specific hardware because not all hardware has support for VP8 and VP9 acceleration. In contrast, most of common hardware has support for H.264 acceleration by the GPU which means using H.264 codec as the default video encoder on YouTube will produce more stable performance, smoother video playback, less CPU usage and less power usage than using VP8 and VP9 codecs as the default video encoder.

There is H264ify, an extension that can force YouTube to stream H.264 videos instead of VP8 and VP9 videos. This extension has support for Chrome and Firefox, but no yet support for Maxthon. So far, switch to trident engine or flash player to force YouTube stream h.264 video are the only workaround available to resolve this problem on Maxthon.

2 hours ago, Dinataspace said:

So far, switch to trident engine or flash player to force YouTube stream h.264 video are the only workaround available to resolve this problem on Maxthon.

In my testing Maxthon is always using h264 when in HTML5? Haven't been able to find a way to get VP8/9 video to display.

Tried on a new clean version and it still defaults to HTML5 with h264.

3 hours ago, 7twenty said:

In my testing Maxthon is always using h264 when in HTML5? Haven't been able to find a way to get VP8/9 video to display.

Tried on a new clean version and it still defaults to HTML5 with h264.

Yeah my bad, you're correct. On the latest Mx version, YouTube html5 videos rendered in H.264 format and can be accelerated through the gpu. This is an improvement, at least can reduce the CPU usage significantly.

Mx1.thumb.png.272d54b134450969a605ce4a30

Meanwhile, there is one thing that feels odd and I think it's due to the video processing on Maxthon that uses software rendering and software decoding, in this case the CPU has to do almost everything on video processing. Streaming YouTube video with the flash player playback triggering a high CPU usage. It's worse than the html5 playback and not worth at all. But perhaps it's just happened on me.

Mx2.thumb.png.0de69628edb672da1f313035a0

Here is the comparisons with Chrome.

A. Html5 playback using  V9 encoder > high cpu usage.

5663473e63cf9_Chromevp9.thumb.png.099f18

B. Html5 playback using H.264 encoder > stable on average cpu usage.

566347530c648_Chromeh264.thumb.png.24754

17 hours ago, 7twenty said:

Again, no matter what i'm trying I can't get it do anything but software rendering and hardware decoding?

Weird? Is there a screenshot for the flash player playback with 4K video? I've tried again and the result still the same, the pop-up video information inform me that I'm still using software rendering. Here's some screenshots from trials that I've done.

A. Flash player playback with 4K video on IE 11 user-agent.

Here's my settings (only switch on the user agent option to IE 11, the rest still default MX settings).

Setting.thumb.png.1a146b575d23e31a419926

After right click on the playback and click the stat for nerds, a pop up inform me if the playback render with software video rendering. Accelerated video decoding was turned into software video decoding after the video resolution of the playback automatically changed from 480p as the default resolution to 4K/2160p.

ua.thumb.gif.0c3f453bb5d862f9bf66e2ea5e1

B. Flash player playback with 4K video on retro mode.

After right click on the playback and click the stat for nerds, a pop up inform me if the playback render with software video rendering and software video decoding.

retro.thumb.gif.4f04953cd729563f37359a02

To be sure, I've tried to check about:gpu and unfortunately, both video decoding and video are set into software rendering.

gpu1.thumb.png.5c812d016aede5e55194b08a6

Here's the comparison with chrome, none of those using software rendering or unavailable as in MX.

gpu2.thumb.png.0e7f8c3d9438dd455a151c1ef

m-gpu.png

Hmmm, thought I already replied to this?

18 hours ago, Dinataspace said:

Weird? Is there a screenshot for the flash player playback with 4K video?

I didn't realise you had it on 4K. When trying that it does the same as you describe. But everything else (not sure about 2K), is as described above.

Could be that they don't offer an MP4 version of the high quality videos due to the extra bandwidth required for them.

Have been playing around trying to that h264ify extension working in Maxthon. Managed to get the code all loaded, but for some reason it doesn't want to work. MX is showing both the scripts loading in the content section of dev tools, even though in Chrome it only shows the loader script.

Not sure what that is about? Any tips?

On 7/12/2015 19.07.45, 7twenty said:

Hmmm, thought I already replied to this?

I didn't realise you had it on 4K. When trying that it does the same as you describe. But everything else (not sure about 2K), is as described above.

Could be that they don't offer an MP4 version of the high quality videos due to the extra bandwidth required for them.

Yeah, I'm pretty agree with your assumption. High CPU usage issue on the flash player playback  seems not entirely caused by Maxthon, at least in standard resolution (360p, 480p 720p), the video on playback can be accelerated and only failed in certain higher resolutions (1080p 60fps and 4k). It's likely due to the video that decoded by the flash player has changed from H.264/AVC into VP8/VP9 that cannot be accelerated by mostly graphic/discrete card.

On 8/12/2015 06.59.34, 7twenty said:

Have been playing around trying to that h264ify extension working in Maxthon. Managed to get the code all loaded, but for some reason it doesn't want to work. MX is showing both the scripts loading in the content section of dev tools, even though in Chrome it only shows the loader script.

Not sure what that is about? Any tips?

I think H264ify is not necessary for us, Maxthon can optimize YouTube html5 and able to render the video output as H.264/AVC which can be accelerated by mostly graphic/discrete card. H264ify doesn't work on the flash player video playback, it's only work on the html5 video playback. Besides, the flash player can do hardware acceleration on its own. It just the flash player that not yet has support for accelerated the VP8/VP9 video codecs.

Ok, I think it's pretty clear to me. Thanks for your response.

Archived