[RESOLVED] Weird Login Loop — Any Ideas?

Secret-HQ

I've installed Maxthon on a new laptop, and everything is clicking along as usual — except one oddity that's driving me batty.

For some reason, I'm unable to log in to my work account.  I enter my user name and password, click the submit button on the form, and the page refreshes, showing only the login form.  If I enter the wrong password or a nonexistent user name, I do get the expected error page.  But if I enter legit credentials — I've tried different ones — I'm caught in an inescapable login loop.

The login is an .ASPX page, and I can log in from other browsers — or from Maxthon on other computers.  I get the same error on the laptop no matter which Maxthon account I'm logged into (and using the guest account).

I've tried deleting the Maxthon account folder and starting fresh.  I've also tried a fresh install.

I'm running Privoxy proxy server — which I'm also using with Firefox (no problems) and on other computers (where I can log in beautifully with Maxthon).

I suspected a corrupt cookie, and I've flushed cookies (from Clear browsing data... and from the dev tools menu).

But the issue persists.

Naturally, I can't share much about the actual login publicly, but any ideas would be appreciated.  I'm stumped!

Although you've pretty much done it by doing a reinstall/guest account, try with Maxthon portable and see what happens.

Also maybe copy the userdata from a known good install to the one that doesn't work and see if that helps.

Really is weird, especially if you're using a passport over multiple installs that only doesn't work on this one.

43 minutes ago, joemax said:

I'm sure you've checked your proxy settings, mode and UA settings?

I've been cycling through the various predefined user-agent strings in Maxthon, but none has been the silver bullet. Since it's working fine in Firefox, I thought the FF string might fool the site into letting me through, but —

My "mode," do you mean trying Retro vs. Ultra?  I did try flipping into Retro Mode a time or time with no luck.  (I normally use the site in Ultra.)

24 minutes ago, 7twenty said:

Although you've pretty much done it by doing a reinstall/guest account, try with Maxthon portable and see what happens.

Also maybe copy the userdata from a known good install to the one that doesn't work and see if that helps.

Really is weird, especially if you're using a passport over multiple installs that only doesn't work on this one.

Good ideas!  I reached for my Maxthon Portable install right away only to realize I'd left my keychain flash drive behind at my mom's after Thanksgiving dinner. :)  I'll put a fresh copy of Max Portable on a drive right now and try it —

I did try copying the appdata folder over from one of my working installs a couple of times.  No luck there, either.

"Weird" is right.  I tried last night and thought something was up with the server, but not being able to figure it out has haunted me all day today — !

Thanks for the ideas!

Ah-HA!  I've found the culprit.

I upgraded Windows 8.1 on this laptop to Win10 and immediately turned off location-based services.  Apparently that left me with a system time that was off by about 12 hours.  The start screen and tray didn't clue me in because the time display was (say) 3:15 AM instead of 3:17 PM.

Resetting the clock, I'm able to get in fine. :D

I'm guessing the cookie I got on each attempt was seen as invalid by the server because of my system time.

No idea why I was able to log in using Firefox and Chrome but not Maxthon (in either Ultra or Retro Mode).  Maybe Maxthon is more conscientious about cookies?

Archived