Use Flash player v11 in Maxthon Cloud

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out.

Firstly, please make sure you are using the latest version of Maxthon http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/17794-maxthon-cloud-browser-for-windows-v4481000-officially-released/

Secondly, you can refer to the instruction provided in this thread http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/topic/13262-adobe-flash-and-maxthon/ to change your flash player.

Also, you can change your browser user agent to Firefox or Chrome in Maxthon advanced setting and try again.

If the problem persists after trying the above approach ,then let us know the flash video you are trying to play.

We will try the same video on our side to see what is happening.

Thanks.

I find a workaround: Just switch to Retro mode, the flash player will  be v11. And yes! I'm using latest version of Maxthon Cloud. One thing confues me: I go into Core/Webkit/Npplugins folder and see there're 3 NPSWF32_XX_0_0_145.dll files, where XX are 14, 16, and 18. But the flash player in Ultra mode is v19. Are these 3 files never used by Maxthon Cloud?

2 hours ago, scottchu.tw said:

I find a workaround: Just switch to Retro mode, the flash player will  be v11. And yes! I'm using latest version of Maxthon Cloud. One thing confues me: I go into Core/Webkit/Npplugins folder and see there're 3 NPSWF32_XX_0_0_145.dll files, where XX are 14, 16, and 18. But the flash player in Ultra mode is v19. Are these 3 files never used by Maxthon Cloud?

Maxthon, like all browsers, will prefer the Flash Player plugin you have installed over the files in that \npplugins\ directory. It is always recommended to have the latest version especially since many 0day security flaws have been identified in the past few months (50+).

4 hours ago, bricky149 said:

Maxthon, like all browsers, will prefer the Flash Player plugin you have installed over the files in that \npplugins\ directory. It is always recommended to have the latest version especially since many 0day security flaws have been identified in the past few months (50+).

If so, why flash player in ultra mode is v19 rather than the preferred v14, v16, or v18 in the npplugins folder?

19 hours ago, scottchu.tw said:

If so, why flash player in ultra mode is v19 rather than the preferred v14, v16, or v18 in the npplugins folder?

You've completely misunderstood my post.

When you have Flash Player installed (and you'll find this under Add/Remove Programs) the system is made aware of the Flash DLL in C:\Windows\System32\ and, if it applies to you, C:\Windows\SysWOW64\. Any browser that accepts these plugins will use that first instead of ones in their own plugins directory.

I'm saying you should uninstall Flash Player from your system first to use an older version (although I highly recommend you don't). Another thing to note is that the browser will only load one of those Flash versions, not all three.

1 hour ago, bricky149 said:

When you have Flash Player installed (and you'll find this under Add/Remove Programs) the system is made aware of the Flash DLL in C:\Windows\System32\ and, if it applies to you, C:\Windows\SysWOW64\. Any browser that accepts these plugins will use that first instead of ones in their own plugins directory.

I'm saying you should uninstall Flash Player from your system first to use an older version (although I highly recommend you don't). Another thing to note is that the browser will only load one of those Flash versions, not all three.

Oh! I see. Excuse my misunderstanding (I neglect the "over") and thanks for detailed explanation.

On 11/20/2015, 4:21:50, bricky149 said:

@bricky149:: This contradicts the instructions in this post

I have always found that Maxthon prefers the Flash installed in its own folder hierarchy over the system's version.  It's necessary to delete or rename (preferred) the Maxthon version to get the system version to be used.

So, the trick would be to get a copy of Adobe 11's NPSWF32_11_xx_xx_xxx.dll and copy it into the Maxthon/bin/core/plugins/ folder. However going back to such an old version, 9 major versions behind the current developer version (20_0_0_214), is massively dangerous because of all the vulnerabilities and exploits that have been addressed in the intervening versions.

<<SL>>

Bricky is wrong, Maxthon will use it's own version of Flash unless you specifically tell it to do otherwise.

Edit: It has always been this way.

A good demonstration of this is to install 4.9 which will use flash 11.x.x.xxx unless you have it use pepflash.dll for fp19.0.0.226 which can be obtained from chrome browser.

Archived