Network crash

trolli

Hello!

I started using Maxthon a few years ago and use it and use it on all my computers. The problem started about a half year ago on a new win7 laptop from asus. In the first two weeks everything worked normal but from one day the whole network in my house crashed when I open Maxthon. No other webbrowsers or programs showed similar problems.

Not even a router restart could revive my home network. I tested around a bit and found out, that I had to unplug my D-Link switch and then restart my router in order to stabilize my network. The most strange thing is, that the laptop was/is connected via WLAN directly to the router, so there should be no data traffic through the affected switch.

What does Maxthon do to destabilize this switch? And why does it work on all other computers on the same network without any problems?

I tried updating Maxthon, uninstall/reinstall Maxthon - nothing worked.

Two days ago another computer started to show the same problems. Now I have two computers where I cannot use maxthon anymore.

There are no known system changes from the working situation to the not working situation.

Do you have any clue how I can resolve this problems? Did this problem show up before?

Do you have any clue how I can resolve this problems? Did this problem show up before?

not sure whether you are a troll or not, regarding you pseudo.

anyway, this is the first time I hear about such an issue

something spreading from a computer to another makes me think about a virus

sigmax2.png

Well, you can never be sure about a virus, but I think my antivirus protection is quite good and always up to date. I have regular scans and nothing popped up through the last months. And why should it take a half year to spread to another computer?

I thought about reporting that error after the first issue but the crash is indeed so curious, that I decided against it.

PS: And dont't worry, no trolling, it's just a pseudonym, nothing else...

Well, you can never be sure about a virus, but I think my antivirus protection is quite good and always up to date. I have regular scans and nothing popped up through the last months. And why should it take a half year to spread to another computer?

I thought about reporting that error after the first issue but the crash is indeed so curious, that I decided against it.

PS: And dont't worry, no trolling, it's just a pseudonym, nothing else...

probably just flogging a dead horse, but do you use a proxy ?

sigmax2.png

nope... but good idea - that could have been an explanation why the traffic wanders through my network before going directly from the laptop through the router to the internet.

Any idea how I could trace the network activity that leads to the crash? I have no experience in this...

Go through the troubleshooting thread, but most interesting would be #9/10 to see what happens when it's a clean version.

To check network activity you can try the command netstat -b from an elevated cmd line. It will give you a list of current connections on your system. Not sure if you'll be able to determine the cause though. There's also some other programs that I can't think of right now, but i'd check the thread above before we get too far ahead...

Definitely is an odd issue.

Just for clarification: I don't need to browse the Internet - just starting maxthon does the crash-trick...

I already had an USB-stick with the portable maxthon, so the first thing was to try this stick. It worked without a problem as long as I did not sign into my maxthon user-account. After signing in the network crashed again... So I think you are right - the problem is somehow related to the user data...

But this is also strange, because the two problem cases belong to different maxthon-users. The first case (laptop) was related to the maxthon user-account of my wife, while the second problem-PC uses my own maxthon user-account. And my wife still uses Maxthon with her user-account on her desktop-PC without these problems...

Just for clarification: I don't need to browse the Internet - just starting maxthon does the crash-trick...

Yeah, i got that, and that's the reason i mentioned the clean version. Now that you know that it's more than likely a settings issue, you can move on to figuring out what. Follow #9

Seeing as the issue happens at sign in, and assuming it's network related you're going to have to disable your networking to ensure that MX doesn't try to sign in. Start MX, sign in (should go to offline mode), then disable ALL the sync options, enable your network and then sync each one at a time and see what happens. I don't use that feature, but have played with it before and i'm pretty sure that works.

Could be the weirdest thing that is common to those 2 users on those PC's, the fun part is find out what! Could even be a coincidence of a corrupt file on both of those installs.

There was an issue a while back that a hidden character caused the last session data to be wiped, while you might think Maxthon was the cause (and it was at fault at least some degree), once found and reproducible it was easy to workaround. Could be a similar situation this time.

It worked without a problem as long as I did not sign into my maxthon user-account. After signing in the network crashed again... So I think you are right - the problem is somehow related to the user data...

But this is also strange, because the two problem cases belong to different maxthon-users. The first case (laptop) was related to the maxthon user-account of my wife, while the second problem-PC uses my own maxthon user-account. And my wife still uses Maxthon with her user-account on her desktop-PC without these problems...

Proxy settings are saved with your account, ensure proxy is set to IE settings: Menu > Proxy > Use IE settings.

From what I can see, proxy settings appear to be stored locally and are not synced with your account. Unfortunately I only have a single machine to try to confirm this....

Seeing as the issue happens at sign in, and assuming it's network related you're going to have to disable your networking to ensure that MX doesn't try to sign in. Start MX, sign in (should go to offline mode), then disable ALL the sync options, enable your network and then sync each one at a time and see what happens.

...obviously I'm too stupid for this?!? I deleted (moved) the user folder, then deactivated my network device and started Maxthon. Ok. But I have to be online to log into my Maxthon account in order to get to the sync options!?! When I activate my Network device to log in, the usual network crash occurs. I managed to bring down our network several times yesterday while my wife wanted to work on her computer - baaad idea ;-)

Proxy settings are saved with your account, ensure proxy is set to IE settings: Menu > Proxy > Use IE settings.

From what I can see, proxy settings appear to be stored locally and are not synced with your account. Unfortunately I only have a single machine to try to confirm this....

In my opinion it does not make sense to sync the proxy settings with the account. But anyway, in my case the proxy settings are "use IE settings" and the IE settings say "no proxy".

Understood that. So even if you have your connection disabled and all the sync options off, it still crashes the network once you connect and try to login?

By doing disconnect, run netstat -b, start Maxthon - the idea is that once Maxthon starts and crashes the network, the netstat results should show the last connections made. Not a guarantee though, and it's not going to give you a reason as to why, but may point you in the right direction.

Do you run a firewall? And try running Windows in safe mode to make sure it's not something else that's conflicting with Maxthon when it tries to connect.

Archived