Post editing restriction

Ummm... How come I can't edit my own posts anymore?
Anyway, wanted to add that this is the PC version. No idea how it's like on others.

there's a delay, you can edit only during 5 minutes, in order to prevent people editing their posts after a reply

sigmax2.png

there's a delay, you can edit only during 5 minutes, in order to prevent people editing their posts after a reply

Please remove this restriction. What if I have a mistake that I've found after 5 minutes? or what if I didn't have connection for 5 minutes ?

People don't reply here so fast after the thread is published anyway...

Please remove this restriction. What if I have a mistake that I've found after 5 minutes? or what if I didn't have connection for 5 minutes ? 

People don't reply here so fast after the thread is published anyway...

I recommend a different criterion ... no edits after a reply has been posted.  Forget using time.

The database surely has the information that a post has one or more replies.  If that count exceeds 0, no editing.

<<SL>>

I think any restriction is ridiculous, nobody makes edits to "make someone look foolish", only to better explain or add extra information that can be more helpful to the reader. I think it is ridiculous to have to post new posts in a thread when nobody else has added a post to it, even when it's been responded to when a simple edit is all that is necessary. Sometimes Often new responses have nothing to do with the previous post.

Edit: How are skin or extension developers going to update their threads when updates are created? By simply making a new post? I don't think so as it becomes impossible to find after it's been responded to. Create a new thread for each update? Any restriction is absurd.

I think any restriction is ridiculous, nobody makes edits to "make someone look foolish"

several points :

• this restriction existed on old forum and noone ever complained....
  • noone ever said that people edited their posts" to make someone look foolish" but believe me unfortunately some people constantly edit their posts and it's a real problem with them.
  • unfortunately there's no seeting to forbid edition after a reply, and there's no draft option either ( invision 4 is new and there are not many plugins until now, maybe in the near future ?)
  • we can merge the posts in case someone needs to edit it after 5 minutes 

that said we also can remove this restriction and warn people who constantly edit their posts.....

sigmax2.png

• 7twenty changed the title to Post editing restriction

several points :

• this restriction existed on old forum and noone ever complained....
  • noone ever said that people edited their posts" to make someone look foolish" but believe me unfortunately some people constantly edit their posts and it's a real problem with them.
  • unfortunately there's no seeting to forbid edition after a reply, and there's no draft option either ( invision 4 is new and there are not many plugins until now, maybe in the near future ?)
  • we can merge the posts in case someone needs to edit it after 5 minutes 

that said we also can remove this restriction and warn people who constantly edit their posts.....

I woulld rather see your last point implemented with the hope that it doesn't lead to many, many warings.

Also, in the discussion earlier there was mention that this restriction would prevent skin authors like Zork, Wilser, etc.  from updating their first post with new versions of their skin or in some cases new versions of ABP ad blocking lists.  This keeps the downloads right at the head of a thread and is a good feature that shoulldn't be blocked.

<<SL>>

Well, suppose I've manager to create a thread that has a lot of replies and because on the first post there was missing something , I'd like to edit it in order for new-comers to see it , instead of reading the whole thread and all of the posts. 

This can especially be important for the case of a popular plugin/skin.

In order to address the problem of replies to posts that later got edited, you could have a "..." button showing the original post that you've replied to, or just what we have now, as it shows the content of the post.

I woulld rather see your last point implemented with the hope that it doesn't lead to many, many warings.

actually this is a not a big concern for moderators as only several people are involved (but it could be a big concern for those people lol)... If other mods are OK I remove the restriction

sigmax2.png

Archived