Issue with SoundCloud

KILVA

I am a long-standing Maxthon user (level 51 lol), love the browser and have no intentions of switching anytime soon. However, I thought this issue was known and figured it'd be worked on and fixed eventually.
I was mistaken.

On SoundCloud, when going to most song pages, the waveform disappears. The waveform is always visible in stream-view, so this is a(n albeit annoying) workaround. Being that it's been a problem for quite a while, I thought I'd post it and hope to get some attention for a future update. I am using Maxthon Cloud v4.4.6.1000.

Here are some screenshots indicating my problem and the problem non-existent in other browsers.

[missing waveform]:

b0a783f575.jpg

[expected outcome, in Chrome]:
ea8240b9af.jpg

[how they appear in stream view]:
0957283d4e.jpg

[it's certainly not just Coffi]:
c01eb06ae2.jpg

Hi,

Can you give us a specifc address? then we can test it directly, besides, will you encounter the same problem when you are usring other browsers ?

thanks for your feedback .

Try visiting the following addresses:

https://soundcloud.com/shoto-original/shoto-attempt-one-soundcloud

https://soundcloud.com/djibay/natalie-la-rose-ft-jeremih-somebody

https://soundcloud.com/djsnake/you-know-you-like-it-dj-snake

https://soundcloud.com/mmmusic/sam-smith-stay-with-me

Still no problem here (even with several browser restarts and clean cookies and so one)

Did you try portable version without logging to Passport, without changing any settings and without installing any extensions?

My video is here: http://sendvid.com/xjemaveb

The same goes for clean facilities, even if you do not use the "Passport Account".

This error occurs after clearing navigation data as shown in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xg-T7GiGaE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbe4OpYn_hE

The same goes for clean facilities, even if you do not use the "Passport Account".

This error occurs after clearing navigation data as shown in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xg-T7GiGaE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbe4OpYn_hE

Just tried on fresh Win 10 installation (portable and normal MX installation)- again I don't have any of these issues with Soundcloud.

Just tested the pages listed above and all work - portable and installer version.

More than likely there is an extension or ABP rule that is causing the issue, but that is slightly debunked seeing as Wilsers video shows the install and then straight to the website. I'd still be doublechecking by disabling all extensions and ABP.

Thank you all for the replies. I have updated to 4.4.7.1000, although it told me 4.4.6.1000 was the most recent. I can't say that any have this problem now, but the playlists seem to still not show any waveform.
[https://soundcloud.com/rpst1/sets/skelecta-x-glacci-i-want]
d84e0407eb.jpg

But strangely, it seems the page when pressed from the list loads the waveform.

[https://soundcloud.com/selecta-youngz/skelecta-x-glacci-i-want-forthcoming1?in=rpst1/sets/skelecta-x-glacci-i-want]
de6b415e93.jpg

*Update on the 21st, I am experiencing the problem with the above link and these as well.

https://soundcloud.com/robin_could/virtual-riot-were-not-alone-ruined-by-husky
https://soundcloud.com/theupbeats/omnivore

1d9e3d9cb7.jpg
a8a42e942a.jpg

I think it is now well-defined that it is every page and not just some; as well there seems to be something setting off (or rather, not) something else in order to obstruct the waveform loading. I'll try clearing my cookies and whatever else to see if it affects it but otherwise I need some suggestions. Thanks!

*Update on the 21st, I am experiencing the problem with the above link and these as well.

https://soundcloud.com/robin_could/virtual-riot-were-not-alone-ruined-by-husky

https://soundcloud.com/theupbeats/omnivore

1d9e3d9cb7.jpg

a8a42e942a.jpg

I think it is now well-defined that it is every page and not just some; as well there seems to be something setting off (or rather, not) something else in order to obstruct the waveform loading. I'll try clearing my cookies and whatever else to see if it affects it but otherwise I need some suggestions. Thanks!

Again- I can't confirm.

Works fine here.

On your 2nd link- I have to hover mouse pointer over place, where wave bars should be- then they shows up.

So I suppose it's by designe- like a fade effect ( the same behaviour in Opera and Firefox).

Anyway- Could you try a portable version without logging to Passport, without changing any settings and without installing any extensions?

post-4817-0-71388100-1440179900_thumb.jp

dc792f617c.jpg

I do have to admit, this works. What does that say for me and my browser? Should I switch over to the portable, sign in and transfer all my bookmarks and passwords?

"Should I switch over to the portable, sign in and transfer all my bookmarks and passwords?"

NO!

Just check first- download portable Maxthon, unzip somewhere, run and don't log in to your Passport, don't change any settings and do not install any extensions! 

Then check again Soundcloud.

"Should I switch over to the portable, sign in and transfer all my bookmarks and passwords?"

NO!

Just check first- download portable Maxthon, unzip somewhere, run and don't log in to your Passport, don't change any settings and do not install any extensions! 

Then check again Soundcloud.

Why? The picture you quoted is of this working. What step is there left but to transfer over from the non-working to the working?

I'm not allowed to make any more posts so I hope you can solve my problem with this:

I went against your advice and put everything on the portable anyway, bookmarks and passwords and set up my one extension, YouTube Center. After this, the waveforms were not loading.

Now, YTC is a professional and constantly updated app and I doubt it's an issue. However, I guess the last bit of testing I can imagine is testing the portable version with just the extension and SoundCloud to push it out of the bounds of possibility.

After this test (which I will update this post about), could you possibly help me figure out what is causing it?

[uPDATE Aug. 24: The cause was found to be enabling skins in the browser].

EDIT: Update in quote

I have installed YouTubeCenter, 4a73d7a58f.jpg

and...

d1e9252174.jpg

It is working. My installed extensions are not in the way, it must be something to do with passport or some incompatibility or stability issues with SoundCloud.

Please help.

------------------------

------------------------

I have read the troubleshooting tips, and have followed all of them. Here is the last one:

10 /

Test with Maxthon PortableDownload & extract to any folder, run, check for the issue. DO NOT SIGN IN to your Maxthon Passport account. If this works then it's more than likely related to your install. Doing a clean install should fix the problem.

If going through the above doesn't fix the problem, then start a thread on the forum to see if someone can help out. Offer as much information as you can, especially the following:

- Any error messages;

- What version of Maxthon and operating system you are running;

- Any out of the ordinary programs (network related like firewalls, or downloaders like Orbit);

- What you have tried to fix/find out what the issue was. Otherwise people will offer solutions that you may have already done;

- And if applicable link some screenshots if it will make things easier for others to understand the problem.

The best case scenario is you will find and fix the issue without having to wait hours or days for a response on the forum.

So if I didn't add enough information:

1. I'm using Win7 and the latest version.

2. No programs that would affect Maxthon

3. I've installed the portable version and found that my extensions are not the issue

If anyone can offer a different suggestion besides troubleshooting, please post! Thank you. Until then, I shall try to clean install and try it with my content afterward.

--

Well, here we are on the 22nd, still can't post and my problem is not solved. I tried deleting a quoted post above in hopes that I'd get another allowed post count. Too bad editing doesn't prompt notifications.

Go through the pinned troubleshooting thread on the main page.

If as you state that using the portable version fixes it but comes back when restoring your data, then it's a setting or extension etc that is causing the issue. You have to be the one to determine where the problem lies, as it's hard for someone to test for a fix when they don't have the problem.

Again, run through the troubleshooting thread one step at a time, if at the end of that you still haven't narrowed it down then we will have to look deeper into a possible cause.

Go through the pinned troubleshooting thread on the main page.

If as you state that using the portable version fixes it but comes back when restoring your data, then it's a setting or extension etc that is causing the issue. You have to be the one to determine where the problem lies, as it's hard for someone to test for a fix when they don't have the problem.

Again, run through the troubleshooting thread one step at a time, if at the end of that you still haven't narrowed it down then we will have to look deeper into a possible cause.

I agree, I don't have any problem at all there and have tested numerous times.

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

Now that I can post again:

Please help.

------------------------
------------------------

I have read the troubleshooting tips, and have followed all of them. Here is the last one:

So if I didn't add enough information:
1. I'm using Win7 and the latest version.
2. No programs that would affect Maxthon
3. I've installed the portable version and found that my extensions are not the issue

If anyone can offer a different suggestion besides troubleshooting, please post! Thank you. Until then, I shall try to clean install and try it with my content afterward.

Troubleshooting does not help, and I can see how it's supposed to be my job to figure out what it is, but it's not on my end unless it's a WIN7 issue. It has to do with the bookmarks and other saved data on passport. Somebody mentioned to NOT involve passport as if knowing it may cause a problem, which it did.
So is there a fix, like erasing all my data?..

Troubleshooting does not help, and I can see how it's supposed to be my job to figure out what it is, but it's not on my end unless it's a WIN7 issue. It has to do with the bookmarks and other saved data on passport. Somebody mentioned to NOT involve passport as if knowing it may cause a problem, which it did.

So is there a fix, like erasing all my data?..

Troubleshooting has helped as you've determined that it's not a Maxthon issue, but something else on your system more than likely related to your Maxthon userdata.

The reason behind not involving passport is to confirm if it's Maxthon or your userdata that is the cause. If Maxthon works without your userdata then Maxthon is not at fault. It's not because Passport service is causing a problem.

Next you can try a clean portable version, sign in to Passport, but only enable sync on ONE item at a time. So start with favourites then test. QA, test, settings, test etc... If after enabling a particular item the issue happens again, then that should lead you to the item that is causing the problem.

Erasing all your data seems a little extreme for an issue such as this and should only be used as a last resort. There isn't a "reset button", but if you really want to you can delete all your favourites/QA/Extensions/clear all browsing data/reset settings to default.

Troubleshooting has helped as you've determined that it's not a Maxthon issue, but something else on your system more than likely related to your Maxthon userdata.

The reason behind not involving passport is to confirm if it's Maxthon or your userdata that is the cause. If Maxthon works without your userdata then Maxthon is not at fault. It's not because Passport service is causing a problem.

Next you can try a clean portable version, sign in to Passport, but only enable sync on ONE item at a time. So start with favourites then test. QA, test, settings, test etc... If after enabling a particular item the issue happens again, then that should lead you to the item that is causing the problem.

Erasing all your data seems a little extreme for an issue such as this and should only be used as a last resort. There isn't a "reset button", but if you really want to you can delete all your favourites/QA/Extensions/clear all browsing data/reset settings to default.

Thank you. I will attempt these. It seems to be a triggered issue though, as I can now see waveforms. For how long though, I do not know.

(The trigger has been found and explained on page 2 of this thread)

So this must be one of the dumbest reasons for Maxthon to mess up but I have just discovered through manual troubleshooting that activating a skin for Maxthon causes waveform loading issues in SoundCloud.

I was using Maxthon Portable (with all of my extension and bookmarks transferred from MX Cloud/Passport, no issue) and I was sick of looking at the bare white border so I switched to a light orange color and continued with my music discovery. Everything was good until I loaded a fresh page on SoundCloud at which point there was no waveform. Catching on, I disabled the skin and refreshed and it was still an issue. I had to actually close the tab and re-enter the URL in a new page to find that the waveform loads correctly with no skin.

[No skin after fixing the issue]:
e554fc629e.jpg

[Reproducing the issue afterward]
(I needed to completely close the tab, load Facebook on another page and then paste the link back in to get the issue to rear its head again):

5ef9532113.jpg

Please, now that the issue is well-described and reproducible - if a mod could direct a dev to this thread I'd love to have the bug fixed. Thank you!!  :D

You're wrong.

Skin has nothing to do with your "issue".

Tried already several skins/ mods- again everything displays fine here.

If you're going to sit there and flat-out tell me "I'm wrong", first disprove how I can reproduce the bug and fix it at will.

If you're trying to quote my "issue" as if it's not one, it most certainly is.

In any case, by the looks of it you are using Windows 8.1, not Windows 7 and it could totally be an operating-system-specific bug... so you just can't dismiss it that way. 

This problem now has a workaround, but a very ugly one as I doubt many people still use the default white skin.

It must be the skin coupled with my data, because my user content alone is not causing it. Perhaps the mix of having a skin and some other thing passport transferred over I have would cause it, as everything always worked in the portable version until I put a skin on.

I can also reproduce that screenshot that you took, just by changing the skin and then taking a screenshot of a page that was working before.

After a certain amount of use (enough page navigation), the waveform does stop loading.

I will continue to test and isolate certain bits of my data until it works with a skin.

It must be the skin coupled with my data, because my user content alone is not causing it. Perhaps the mix of having a skin and some other thing passport transferred over I have would cause it, as everything always worked in the portable version until I put a skin on.

I can also reproduce that screenshot that you took, just by changing the skin and then taking a screenshot of a page that was working before.

After a certain amount of use (enough page navigation), the waveform does stop loading.

Alright, I've solved the problem on my own.

I've tested this reproduction on the Cloud Browser and re-entered my passport account, disabling the Sync on Quick Access with a skin on and that seemed to do it.

SoundCloud now works as it should.

Obviously, it seems Quick Access has issues with skins being enabled because it's causing the operative function of a webpage to not load properly.

While fixed personally, I'd still like a dev to solve this so that I can use the browser in full-feature and nobody else has this problem.

(yes, I know devs have more important things to work on but being on a list is better than being totally ignored for priority).

Thanks all for your help and suggestions, namely giving me a control to test with (MX Portable) and telling me Passport transfers cause problems.  :top:

Nice work on finding the culprit.

#9 in the troubleshooting thread explains that very means of deduction. Not sure if that's where you got it from, but nice to see that you took it upon yourself to do the groundwork to determine the issue. And it shows that following it will give you an answer.

If only there were more people like you :-)

The thread has been marked for followup, so it should be on their list of issues. As for when it may get fixed, that's a question with no known answer.

Nice work on finding the culprit.

#9 in the troubleshooting thread explains that very means of deduction. Not sure if that's where you got it from, but nice to see that you took it upon yourself to do the groundwork to determine the issue. And it shows that following it will give you an answer.

If only there were more people like you :-)

The thread has been marked for followup, so it should be on their list of issues. As for when it may get fixed, that's a question with no known answer.

Thank you 7!

As an update, I've been using it today and the problem re-appeared so I reduced the sync to just Favorites and Magic Fill in portable and it seems to work for now. Since it also seems to take a while, I'll add slowly and report back to see if it's more than just Quick Access, or that at all.

Update: I've shortened the list to Ad Filters and Quick Access, and it's been working for two days since a relapse & successful troubleshoot.

Update 2: I still seem to have problems with some disabled, but the waveforms only disappear sometimes. I have a skin on and currently it works. Last night it stopped working for a bit, perhaps Maxthon doesn't load SC as well with other websites open so I'll watch for that.

• 2 months later...

Another update: it seems that skins don't affect it, nor does selective data sync. I used the browser with no skin for quite a while and had no problems with SoundCloud waveform loading... until I did. Then, all I did was immediately turn on the skin and then do the fix that I mentioned previously in this thread: 

close all SoundCloud tabs, open a YouTube (or other) tab and then paste the SoundCloud URL you were trying to view in place of the new URL. After the page loads, the waveform should as well.

The verdict does seem to be what I said, some sort of issue with Maxthon incorrectly loading SoundCloud, irregardless of Maxthon Portable, skins or selective Browser Data Sync.

I hope we do get to the bottom of this.

Archived