Maxthon doesn't seem to work with Google's Polymer Library

Hi,

I've been a long term user of Maxthon, going right back to its MyIE2 days. I love the browser and don't use anything else unless I absolutely have to.

However I've come across an issue which is forcing me to use a different browser for one of my daily usage tasks.

I use a media browser server setup from Emby (formerly Media Browser). Until recently Maxthon was fine with the management interface for it, however since the last release of Emby I've been having an issue with the appearance of the interface in Maxthon.

I raised the issue on their forums here http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/23614-strange-dashboard-behaviour-in-maxthon-browser/and had the below response from one of their lead developers Luke.

@Antitheft2

Hi,

I've done some testing. Can you go over to the Maxthon forums and open a ticket? Tell them the browser doens't work very well with Google's Polymer Library. Notice, it can't even load the website at all:

https://elements.polymer-project.org/

In Maxthon that just produces a blank white page.

Their forums are here:

http://forum.maxthon.com/

Thanks.

It would seem that Emby now uses Google's Polymer library in their interface and that Maxthon doesn't play nicely with that at all. All other browsers I've tried show this interface as it's supposed to be (even Internet Explorer) yet in Maxthon it just doesn't work.

Maxthon can't even open the website for Google Polymer at all ( https://elements.polymer-project.org/) just gives a blank page whereas Chrome/Firefox and even IE11 can display it correctly.

Is there a reason for this or is it just that it's not been tested against/tried? Is it perhaps a setting I've missed somewhere that's affecting it? Failing that is this something that can be implemented in Maxthon? It's certainly a real pain to have to use a different browser for this and as it's something I use every single day is becoming more and more of a nuisance.

Any thoughts/comments/resolutions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

It would be because Maxthon is still using quite an old Blink core (v30) which Google have blocked, or the site just doesn't support it any more.

Using the above workaround seems to work fine. Unless there is some issue with that on your install then that would be the only option (short of changing browser) till Maxthon updates their core... which is apparently coming...sometime....soon...possibly...

It would be because Maxthon is still using quite an old Blink core (v30) which Google have blocked, or the site just doesn't support it any more.

Using the above workaround seems to work fine. Unless there is some issue with that on your install then that would be the only option (short of changing browser) till Maxthon updates their core... which is apparently coming...sometime....soon...possibly...

There is something wrong on my end ... it doesn't work for me.  I've refreshed pages, switched cores back and forth, and relaunched Maxthon to no avail.  I'll try a fresh extraction 

There is something wrong on my end ... it doesn't work for me.  I've refreshed pages, switched cores back and forth, and relaunched Maxthon to no avail.  I'll try a fresh extraction 

Make sure standard rendering mode is enabled in advanced options as shown in tony's image.

Make sure standard rendering mode is enabled in advanced options as shown in tony's image.

Yep I did that.  I did a clean install; I disabled all extensions; I'm not using any but the default skin; and it still doesn't work.  I'm running the 4.4.7.600 public beta release portable version.

Yep I did that.  I did a clean install; I disabled all extensions; I'm not using any but the default skin; and it still doesn't work.  I'm running the 4.4.7.600 public beta release portable version.

What version of IE do you have installed? What UA?

What version of IE do you have installed? What UA?

I have IE8 on Win7 Enterprise 64bit; I get the same result (blank white page) with the default UUA and

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10) AppleWebKit/600.5.17 Maxthon/4.4.7.600 which I use to enable cbs.ccom videos to play.

I tried IE8 and the page won't display in it either.  But it displays right in Firefosx.  But Maaxthon using the Firefox UA wil not display it.  So Retro mode is no help with IE8.

IE8 gives an "errors in page" warning.  I also tried adding the website to the Compatibility View site list in IE8, but that didn't help either.

Thanks for the replies guys, interestingly the Emby management interface does work in retro mode (I hadn't even thought to try it) so I guess that will have to do for now until Maxthon update to the new core. Worrying that they're so far behind the times with that though. Are there any security risks to using blink core v30?

Archived