About Google CSE and search experience

Hi everyone,

A meeting was held regarding the issues that the community has brought to our attention recently. We are very sorry and apologize for any inconvenience caused to our valued users these days. understand there are some concerns about Google CSE, Search extension and Ads. This is due to a small-scale test (less than 10%) with Google search that is currently underway. When the testing period ends, all Maxthon products involved in this test will be restored to a stable version and the issues will no longer occur.

Now, the rules of ABP will no longer be overwrote if you deleted rules such as google's in the list.

About extension of Search, there are two situations: 

A, if you set your extension OFF now, the setting will not be re-enable no matter you update or not.

B, if you 'delete' the extension, at the present it will be re-enable when you update the version. It will be fixed in the next official release.

The next official release still contains the option to use Google CSE - but it is a 100% user option.

We are a small company in the internet industry and our products are always offered as free software. In doing so we really need to try different ways to generate more value so we can continue creating better products and to improve Maxthon. We hope you can understand that. Maxthon is an open software for users and we’ll keep it that way forever.

If you want to switch back to Google official, follow the instructions below to change the default search to Google.

1, Access your extensions

post-28954-0-33395200-1436524888_thumb.j

2, Find the search check box and cancel the choice

post-28954-0-78677800-1436524934.jpg

3, You can change your default search from here. 

post-28954-0-22631500-1436525010_thumb.j

And again, thank you for your support. As far as I know, the dev team have some cool ideas and are working hard to bring it to our beloved users. Stay tuned.

sigmaxlizzie.png

Hi everyone,

A meeting was held regarding the issues that the community has brought to our attention recently. We are very sorry and apologize for any inconvenience caused to our valued users these days. understand there are some concerns about Google CSE, Search extension and Ads. This is due to a small-scale test (less than 10%) with Google search that is currently underway. When the testing period ends, all Maxthon products involved in this test will be restored to a stable version and the issues will no longer occur.

The minimum would have to make a prior announcement, don't you think? And, why not, allow users to accept, or not, the tests by checking a box.

How I can continue to trust someone who installs, silently and without my consent, some options that change my settings?

If you need financing, there are other solutions (ask for donation, crowdfunding, etc.). I don't have much money, but I would have been the first to make a payment.

After 11 years with Maxthon, I am now on Firefox. This is the result of your "small-scale test"... As perhaps many others.

The minimum would have to make a prior announcement, don't you think? And, why not, allow users to accept, or not, the tests by checking a box.

How I can continue to trust someone who installs, silently and without my consent, some options that change my settings?

If you need financing, there are other solutions (ask for donation, crowdfunding, etc.). I don't have much money, but I would have been the first to make a payment.

After 11 years with Maxthon, I am now on Firefox. This is the result of your "small-scale test"... As perhaps many others.

There used to be a link to Donate to Maxthon on the Maxthon Home Page, and I have donated several times, but never received any indication that it was received or not.  Rather tacky if you ask me.  But yes, doing something like this without a user knowing about it or having the ability to accept or reject, is even more tacky.

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

There used to be a link to Donate to Maxthon on the Maxthon Home Page, and I have donated several times, but never received any indication that it was received or not.  Rather tacky if you ask me.  But yes, doing something like this without a user knowing about it or having the ability to accept or reject, is even more tacky.

I donated too long ago (MyIe time, and I think the link showed during the install process), but at that time I got a receipt and an access to a higher level to reward me

sigmax2.png

I donated too long ago (MyIe time, and I think the link showed during the install process), but at that time I got a receipt and an access to a higher level to reward me

Well, I'm jealous and I want my reward too.  :titter: I even emailed them questioning if they received my donation and never got an answer to that either.  That was when they were first developing Maxthon 2.  Oh well, all water under the bridge.  I'm still waiting for a new theme which I offered to purchase, but I guess that's been shelved.

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

Hi guys,

Really sorry for this inconvenience.

From your comments, I'm very touched. I can feel how much you love Maxthon and have been supporting our products.

We will do our best to prevent something like this from happening again without your consent.

Once again, deepest apologies for what happened!

I hope THIS time, we are being told the truth.  Maxthon PRIOR to the CSE and ABP Fiascos was my favorite browser ever. That is the sole reason I have not yet uninstalled it from all my computers as I originally planned. 

I really second this.

My faith in Maxthon has taken a big hit with these shenanigans, but I'll give them the benenfit of the doubt for now.

Well, I'm jealous and I want my reward too.  :titter: I even emailed them questioning if they received my donation and never got an answer to that either.  That was when they were first developing Maxthon 2.  Oh well, all water under the bridge.  I'm still waiting for a new theme which I offered to purchase, but I guess that's been shelved.

There used to be a link to Donate to Maxthon on the Maxthon Home Page, and I have donated several times, but never received any indication that it was received or not.  Rather tacky if you ask me.  But yes, doing something like this without a user knowing about it or having the ability to accept or reject, is even more tacky..

I donated from the home page when it was MyIE2. I didn't get an acknowledgement but I got more options to use the browser. That was how I knew they had received my donation.

• 1 month later...

Please resolve this issue:

I have deleted anything and everything relating to google on my maxathon browser. Two address bars are both set to use BING search engine. Extensions had the search detail involving google and I have deleted that as well. Pre-search is turned off, and yet, it still presearches to google.

Most searches use bing, however, If I start typing in the main address bar, the screen below automatically is searching google. Why is this?

Please give me a resolution to this major problem that you have created. Thank you.

• -ody- unpinned this topic

Archived