Custom search engines urls lost after 4.4.6.1000

Hi,

After updating to maxthon v4.4.6.1000, I have lost all my custom search engines urls list and it has been replaced with some default set. Is there any way to get it back? and please let me know which file it's stored in so that i can pull it out of my backup files atleast.

Regards,

MaKS

Make sure you're signing into your passport account and it's connecting and syncing.

If you're not using one and have back up of the userdata folder, then it should all be in the config/config.dat file. This is not a user readable file. You will have to replace the current one.

C:\Users\*user name*\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3\Users\*user @ E-mail*\Config  =  config.dat  (file at e.g. 73 KB)

OBS... To see the AppData Folder you have to set you systems folder-setting, to see Hidden Files and Folders, also make it show file names.

Q. Why did it happen in the first place?  A. Because every update overweights all old files.

So it's always good to have at least 1 Backups from, the 2 last versions, on your PC.

Especially if you don't use the Maxthon user Passport Sync option as a backup online, so it's easy to recover almost all settings etc..

Best Regards Ohke

@7twenty: Thanks for the info. Replacing config.dat from an older backup i got most of it back.

@~Ohke:  Thanks for the info. I am aware that it updates old files, my point was that maxthon itself should have made a backup if then were changing any major structure in their code. I have been using maxthon since version 2.something and updates are breaking things even more nowadays (last 4 updates) than fixing. Luckily i had a old backup and from now on will make sure to manually backup 'C:\Users\*user name*\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3\' before attempting to update.

Am not using any maxthon passport sign in for reasons like i couldn't migrate all my data (history and favorites) from my guest account to it.

Will look for config.dat file and hope i get back my data. Will something else be affected if i replace?

Why did it happen in the first place?

That's odd, as i'm sure that an import from guest to passport should import almost everything. Only thing that I think doesn't is maybe QA.

Config.dat contains most of the data from the settings page. So any aliases, shortcut keys, gestures etc will also be lost/replaced when the older version is restored.

Why it happened? Well that is a good question. I've had MX completely go back to default on me a few times, but I know that the issue was due to a flaky HDD. Thankfully a restore of my backed up data got everything back to normal. Assuming that you didn't have any major issues like that, then it really doesn't make sense as to why all the data wasn't kept. In my testing none of the most recent releases have had any issues with keeping older data like that.

@7twenty: Thanks for the info. Replacing config.dat from an older backup i got most of it back.

@~Ohke:  Thanks for the info. I am aware that it updates old files, my point was that maxthon itself should have made a backup if then were changing any major structure in their code. I have been using maxthon since version 2.something and updates are breaking things even more nowadays (last 4 updates) than fixing. Luckily i had a old backup and from now on will make sure to manually backup 'C:\Users\*user name*\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3\' before attempting to update.

Good to see that it worked (for the most part).

As above, I don't think this was the update causing the issue. If it was then i'm sure there'd be at least a few more users with the same issue. It's quite possible there was something in the file that the new version didn't like or couldn't deal with which may have cause the issue. There was an issue where all the last session data would be lost if a site saved had a hidden character. Could be similar to that.

I have to agree that the update and MX should create backups of things like this. It already does for favourites (too many if you ask me), There's no reason why it couldn't do the same for config/history/QA etc.

Also forgot, if you have Windows File History enabled, then you should be able to restore from that as well.

Archived