Maxthon inserts graphic advertisements on Google Search page

And a Google;; inserted link in Favorites + Exceptions rules in Global Rules. :devil:

The exceptions have been there for quite a while. Nothing odd, or at least nothing new there.

I'm just glad I use Bing.   :p

+1 to that!

But with that said, i do use google on occasion, and have tested since all the complaints started about the ads. To date I still don't have any ads with the search extension nor have the exceptions been removed. This a clean default install. So not sure what that is about?!

The exceptions have been there for quite a while. Nothing odd, or at least nothing new there.

+1 to that!

But with that said, i do use google on occasion, and have tested since all the complaints started about the ads. To date I still don't have any ads with the search extension nor have the exceptions been removed. This a clean default install. So not sure what that is about?!

I've tested on Google since this came up too, but do not see any ads at all and I just tested again to make sure.

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

I removed all of them, but they're back

They get reinstated on every new release. Somehow whatever global rules the user has added are copied + the exceptions added at the new release...or maybe there's a seperate file with those that gets added at each new release. Time to do some detective work.

These 'changes' to maxthon are really making me reconsider using it and recommending it to others.

I've been using maxthon from back when it was MyIE2, but these latest additions really made it so I can't trust the guys behind it anymore.
Why would you alienate your userbase in such a way? I really don't get it. Did they really think we wouldn't notice? Saying it's a bug seems strange to me, because a bug won't suddenly show adds or use a partner-id and custom search.

Only conclusion I can come to, is that this is a deliberate change to make money behind our backs.

If it was because the development costs were too high or something, they could have just come out and told us and ask for a donation or give us a choice to get an add supported version, that I think most would have understood.
But this way it's just offending to their users.

back for me this morning and i have not updated

its time someone from the company came clean on this its a PITA

Hi  Tony, 

We want to know more about what you mean "Back for me this morning".  What is back to you?

Maxthon will not force you to use Google Custom Search Engine, if you switch back to Google, Maxthon will remember this.
Do you ever delete the search extension or Google CSE engine ?  Or any related operations you do yesterday?
Which bother much? Why?
The Search extension //  add Rules only effect the Google Custom Search, and do nothing to Google

Hi  Tony, 

We want to know more about what you mean "Back for me this morning".  What is back to you?

Maxthon will not force you to use Google Custom Search Engine, if you switch back to Google, Maxthon will remember this.
Do you ever delete the search extension or Google CSE engine ?  Or any related operations you do yesterday?
Which bother much? Why?
The Search extension //  add Rules only effect the Google Custom Search, and do nothing to Google

Except that Maxthon does not remember our search settings as is quite obvious from all the posts made in this topic....did you even read the topic?

Further more, please explain why there were suddenly adds in Maxthon and why the custom search is/was using a partner id ?

You better come up with something better than 'it's / it was a bug', because it clearly wasn't.

Unless you can provide us with a good explanation, you will have lost a big portion of your user base and I for one will no longer recommend Maxthon, better yet I'll make sure everybody knows to avoid it like the plague.

well, but then, if you don't want to force us, why does maxthon overwrite our default settings please ? google.fr is my default search engine, yesterday, google cse was back as default search engine though I didn't do anything, no update, no install, nothing

sigmax2.png

Wrong !

Search engine modified silently, again and again.

I am now on Firefox, after using Maxthon during 11 years.

Bye bye Maxthon Adware.

googgle cse was set to default twice today without any action on my side. :(

each time I  had to set google.fr to default search engine again

(I deleted search extension a while ago)

Why don't you switch to Bing until they get this straightened out?  And I don't understand why I don't see any ads when I try something on Google.

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

Why don't you switch to Bing until they get this straightened out?  And I don't understand why I don't see any ads when I try something on Google.

no matter what search engine I set as default, after a while google CSE default search engine is added to the list

(actually it's not overwritten)

Why it doesn't happen to you, i do not know...it does not seem to affect everybody. maybe your firewall blocks some connection to google ?

I don't see any ads because I removed some rules from global rules in ABP. Those rules keep being added again and again too...

and this "googlejj" was silently added to my favorites too http://www.google.com/webhp?client=aff-maxthon-maxthon4&channel=t3&

my settings are changed again and again, silently and without my consent, which is unbearable !

sigmax2.png

I got some news : this annoyance will no longer happen : your settings shouldn't be overwritten

I just performed a clean install of the latest maxthon version
google CSE was in the list of search engine, but my default search engine didn't change
no "ad" rules in ABP
search extension was enabled, but I deleted it
googlejj is not in my favorites list

so far so good, just wait and see but it looks like issue is fixed. :)

sigmax2.png

Hi guys,

Really sorry for delaying. Maxthon has always been devoted to provide good service to our users in this long way from MyIE2. 

Everyone of you is very important to us, especially devoted users begin with MyIE2. 

However, as a small and trival company in IT, we need to do something new to make development and move forward. 

Really sorry for your inconvenience. Believe me, we are trying to do all we can to help you under this circumentance.

As you know, many of you are obsessed and irritated by our google search and advertisement.

Please follow my steps as following.

1 Uncheck search in extension, do not delete it.    (Deleting it will cause your trouble again currently.)

2 Custom search engine such as Bing,Ask...except google.    (Google will be changed to Googlecse automaticlly currently.)

All this inconvience will be solved in the next version 4.4.7.1000. I hope this could help you.Really sorry for that. Please stay with us.

Mia

Thank you for at least acknowledging the problem, good to hear that it will be sorted in the next version.

I'm still a bit sceptical though, as you do not provide any information as to why there were suddenly ads and partner id's being used.

As said I think a lot of us won't really trust you anymore, unless you tell us what was the reasoning behind this.

You kept implying that this is because of a mistake or bug, but that really doesn't fly, a bug doesn't suddenly add things like ads to the default search.

Unless with "However, as a small and trival company in IT, we need to do something new to make development and move forward. "  you mean that 'doing something' in this case means adding ads to make money behind our backs.

To me that sentence is pretty vague, if you really need to use ads to generate enough income to continue developement, you should state this in a clear way for everybody to see.

If this is really the case you should make a statement on the frontpage and for example when updating (like the adblock message after each update) with something like:

We have decided to start adding advertisements to the default seach engine and also started using a partner-id in google cse, because we, as a small IT company, can no longer generate enough income to continue developing Maxthon.

With the extra income generated by these advertisements and partner-id links, we can continue support for maxthon for years to come.

If you feel like this is a bad decision or have a better suggestion, please tell us so in this forum topic: [link to forum topic]

If you do not like these advertisements and changes you can donate [here] and recieve an ad-free version of maxthon.

Of course it doesn't have to be exactly like that, but something similar would have been nice.

You should have done it beforehand, but it would still be better than trying to keep it under the covers.

You keep implying that this is because of a mistake or bug, but that really doesn't fly, a bug doesn't suddenly add things like ads to the default search.

they don't speak of a bug, they say it clearly here : they try to find some way to be able to make new development. I agree it was not the smartest move to do it this way (silently and without users' consent).

but they did apologize and say it won't happen anymore. 

However, as a small and trival company in IT, we need to do something new to make development and move forward.

sigmax2.png

Archived