How to auto update an extension?

Joelton Luz

Joelton replied at 2013-4-30 06:35 back.gif

But, I have any friends that use this extension, for them don't was updated for new version...

* I ...

I've meant if the person USING the extension (i.e., your friends, etc.) changes the GUID, not you.

So my guess would be: either they've changed the GUID, or they have....a buggy installation or something? Perhaps buggy sync storage? Not sure....sorry.

I am positive they auto-update, as they have done so for me, which is why I change the GUID because I mod almost all of them, and don't want them AUTO-updating - rather, I prefer manual updating.

cooltext.png

yes, but you can unpack the mxaddon file and change the GUID....wait, you did make the extension didn't you? Just making sure.....

also it only updates once it's been approved and uploaded to the extension site. simply giving it a GUID, even if it's the same one, if it's not re-uploaded to the extension site, people who don't change the GUID themselves, will ALSO be stuck with your prior version UNTIL and if it does become uploaded - though I have seen your extension on the extension site just earlier this morning, so you're good to go in that area.:)

cooltext.png

Joelton replied at 2013-4-30 08:57 back.gif

The extension is mine, I saw the extensios was approved and is available for download, but I thinked ...

By the way, when you've re-uploaded the updated version, did it ask you to use a different GUID? This might end up making your UPDATED version have a different GUID than the previous version, so that Maxthon on localhost doesn't detect the newly-defined GUID as it should be, and instead is checking a GUID now not in use. If that is the case, you might need them to install the latest version manually from the extension site or from you, and then you could modify the version number, try to have it allow you to use the same GUID as the NOW-CURRENT version (not the one before it), and re-upload as a "new" version. It will take a bit of time to be approved, but once it is, then you can ask them if theirs have auto-updated this time around.

This is all I have. Will investigate further. ---- edit: yeah, I've just checked the def.json file. Can't explain why it might be happening. PERHAPS, I repeat, PERHAPS, though not necessarily likely, it MIGHT be that the framework version defined in def.json file, could be superficially reverted to 1.0.1. Will upload the def.json file.

also, author is mispelled as autor, and I've already updated the extension version number to 1.0.3. Just unpack your mxaddon, and replace the def.json file in there with this one, and we'll SEE if it works. I don't know what might be causing it, so I'm only stabbing in the dark, sorry I can't do more.

And, yes, the current framework version IS 1.0.6, but it MIGHT possibly be that the auto-update function MIGHT have a problem with having 1.0.6 defined inside of def.json. It's my only remaining possible guess.

def.zip

cooltext.png

What I did... I went the option "My Shared Extension" after I choose "Update" > "Replace file package", but since the version 1.0.0 I've never changed the GUID, I just modify the "Version" in the file JSON and some changes in the file HTML. So should be auto update... or not?

Joelton replied at 2013-4-30 09:19 back.gif

What I did... I went the option "My Shared Extension" after I choose "Update" > "Replace file packag ...

sorry, just guessing as to possibilities, I'm not accusing you, sorry.

It SHOULD auto-update. If it's not as seems to be the case, then it ....might be a problem with ...I'm not sure what honestly. The one extension I've uploaded last night has just "auto-updated" in theory (though was the same version as I have installed technically), so I don't know why yours might not be working.

I am sorry. Please be optimistic. It might be something with the specific latest version of Maxthon, or maybe a temporary database issue, which might now be resolved, or it might be specific to your GUID or extension on the extensions site (not necessarily talking something on your end, but something the extension site does not like - it wouldn't be the first time, for sure).

cooltext.png

Don't worry, I agree with you (The one extension I've uploaded last night has just "auto-updated" in theory).

Was a question, because some friends was asking for me. why my extension didn't automatically updated.

*I like so much this browser, that I try to convince everyone to use it. :D

Thank's For All !!

Archived