NETFLIX with Maxthon

MsMia

Netflix worked the first time for a few minutes then went to a black screen. The sound works but no picture. Now every time I try it all I get is sound and a black screen.

Have deleted Max and reinstalled several times, each time the same results.

Netflix works great on FireFox and Chrome.

Hi MsMia,

Sorry for the inconvenience brought to you.

If you sue Maxthon account, you may log out and try to watch the video, while logged out of your Maxthon account.

Also, make sure you are not running any security software that might be disabling the video from playing.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
DAREALDAMAN replied at 2015-3-24 23:29

so you are saying I have a maxthon account, but I can't use it? hmmm

I have watched so many times using maxthon, then some upate disabled it, you have a function disabled, where are they. Chrome did this briefly. something with the browser or flash. they know what the problem is but not tellin'. Is is becuz ur chineese? no offense? In other words, is there a country limitation?

Try updating your Maxthon to the current version (http://forum.maxthon.com/thread-14823-1-1.html). I am using Netflix right now with no problem.

If that doesn't fix it, it might be something in your ad block rules that is disabling the video? I'm just guessing on that probability.

I have UserAgent String disabled, so check that and play around with it and see if that fixes it.

• 2 months later...

That is just a notification based on the webpage's detection of the blink version. In most instances you can ignore it and there should be no issues with the site.

Otherwise you can try changing your User Agent to see if that helps.

Also what version of Maxthon are you talking about? Currently there is no version of Hola that works with Maxthon.

Just realised you'd be using the desktop version of Hola.

Same situation - they'd be doing a check more than likely on the UserAgent and seeing that it's not the most recent version of blink. Try changing the UserAgent per the link above and see if it helps at all.

Hi,

while I was waiting for your reply, I've changed DNS...I found one public and free.

I can normally login, navigate in my Netflix account, and watch movies (with iexplorer and Chrome).

The good news is that I don't need Hola anymore.

The bad part is that, if I use Maxthon, clicking on movies I see all the screen black, but this time I can hear perfectly the sound.

Selecting the subtitle option, I also read all texts, but still on a black screen... :wacko:

Currently not a Netflix subscriber so makes it a little hard to test.

Reading through their help info it seems for HTML5 they want you using Chrome 37+, or IE11. For Silverlight, Chrome 12+. Assuming you're using the Silverlight plugin then there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

Check to see if any Anti-Virus software is causing the issues.

Check that Silverlight is being correctly detected in Maxthon and up to date.

Try changing the User Agent.

Try using Retro Mode (Menu > Switch Browser Core), and make sure "Enable standard rendering in Retro Mode" is enabled in Settings (Menu > Settings > Advanced > Browsing). This lets Maxthon use the IE11 renderer in Retro which is what Netflix wants.

Not really much more I can offer at this stage.

I read it, but I don't know how to change my user agent.

Is this in the menu?

Sorry about that, I thought there were some instructions in that thread.

Menu > Settings > Advanced > Others > Check the "Customise User Agent" box. In the field below copy/paste one of the User Agents linked from the above thread, or select one of the default ones like IE11.

Nothing...I have tried all the combinations...

Still seeing a black screen, subtitles, and a perfect audio.

The only difference is with Explorer 10, that lets me see previews if I slide the cursor along the video's timeline.

I'll go on with explorer 11 or Chrome just when I need Netflix. :mad:

• 4 weeks later...

i have been having the same issues using NEtflix.  first the video would be black, then the page would tell me to upgrade browser (with no ability to pass the message), and now, after applying all the above suggestions, it gets stuck on " you need to update silverlight" which i did but with no result. my MX version is 4.4.6.2000, attempted on 3 different OS : windows 7 windows 8.1 and windows 10 (yes the preview).

it is rather frustrating issue, but as frank above, i guess i will use chrome for netflix for the time being :(

This workaround should be worked to resolve Netflix issue.

Try using Retro Mode (Menu > Switch Browser Core), and make sure "Enable standard rendering in Retro Mode" is enabled in Settings (Menu > Settings > Advanced > Browsing). This lets Maxthon use the IE11 renderer in Retro which is what Netflix wants.

But due to the Netflix now supports HTML5 playback, Maxthon especially ultra-mode (Webkit/Blink) needs a content decryption module or CDM plugin (such as Widevine CDM on Chrome or Adobe Primetime CDM on Firefox) to play DRM protected files like HTML5 video/audio files on Netflix and so on. The existence of this plugin will solve the problems associated with Netflix in the future.

Actually, Maxthon especially ultra-mode no need to depend on Silverlight, Chrome this day no longer NPAPI plugin support, but Netflix still works fine with their Widevine CDM plugin. Silverlight just an old-fashioned and will no longer support for future use.

Maxthon should be concerned to the recent browser technology progress, not just stuck with adding unnecessary things only (eg, more than one search extension etc).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Really sorry for your inconvience.

1 Better make sure you are running on our latest version currently.Which you can download here.

http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php/topic/15993-maxthon-cloud-browser-for-windows-v4462000-officially-released/

2You can try by changing core mode and customise user agent string as shown in the following picture.

post-175194-0-47334300-1437466626_thumb.

post-175194-0-49413700-1437466628_thumb.

Hi guys,

Really sorry for your inconvience.

1 Better make sure you are running on our latest version currently.Which you can download here.

http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php/topic/15993-maxthon-cloud-browser-for-windows-v4462000-officially-released/

2You can try by changing core mode and customise user agent string as shown in the following picture.

I can verify this does work.  I had changed the browser string settings as soon as netflix was giving me the "download another browser" bit.  Also some pages in general will refuse to work correctly unless it "sees" you are using IE or Firefox.  So this does just that.  The webpage reads the string and thinks you are using Firefox.  Of course over time you may need to update the string to reflect the latest version of firefox.  A quick google search is all that is needed to obtain it.

Archived