sticky favicon

Hi,

I manage a proboards forum and I recently changed the favicon.(several times)

Browsers like chrome and IE show the new icon immediately, but Maxthon refuses to refresh. Even after changing the url of the forum it sticks.

Why is this and what can I do about it?

grtz,

Bunnie

Hello, Maxthon is preloading content from cache in order to save some data and therefore it doesn't check all content if it's up to date in every server request. Try to hit CTRL + F5 or "Update site icons" in context menu when you click on free space on your favorites bar. In some cases, freeing cache directly in ACP of your forum is necessary.

Ctrl-F5 had no effect

Update site-icon had no effect

deleting and adding the favorite had no effect

deleting cach via settings had no effect

again upate-site-icon had no effect

there are several locations for maxthon cache. did you try here : C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\Temp\Maxthon3Cache

sigmax2.png

Yes, tried it earlier. did it again
closed maxthon
hard deleted contence of C:\Users\nijkamfr\AppData\Local\Temp\Maxthon3Cache\Temp\Webkit\Cache - no use
hard deleted contence of C:\Users\nijkamfr\AppData\Local\Temp\Maxthon3Cache\                                 - no use
hard deleted contence of C:\Users\nijkamfr\AppData\Local\Temp\MaxthonCrashData       - no use
hard deleted contence of D:\users\nijkamfr\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3\Users\f.nijkamp@hccnet.nl\AppData\{33CA60D6-EADC-4558-9185-2EBE14214AB9}\Cache - no use
hard deleted contence of D:\users\nijkamfr\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3\Users\f.nijkamp@hccnet.nl\AppData\session / no use
hard deleted contence of D:\users\nijkamfr\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3 

this last one help, but now I´ve lost to much. Bummer. Won´t do that again.

Can someone tell me what should be the right way to do this for the next time.

Look in the following folder:

\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3\UserData\Public\SiteIcon

Delete the file siteicon.dat file in there and it will force all favicons to be refreshed. This would have happened when you deleted the Roaming\Maxthon3 folder before. As to why the old one came back after that i'm not really sure. If you're using a passport account, maybe siteicons gets synced as well? (although i doubt that would be the case)

Can you provide a link to the site in question so others can check as well.

okay I'll try. My data is indeed synchronised with my passport account. This is another email address since I don't receive the recover password mail for this forum on the passport address. For some reason the password is different.

this is the site url http://brabants-motor-forum.boards.net

where you see a bike, I see an eagle : http://home.hccnet.nl/f.nijkamp/mctm/mctm_logo-20.ico

let you know the outcome

Okay,

after signing off the maxthon account (Email removed) and closing maxthon the file was deleted.

After starting up the icon was the new one, finally.

Logged in again and started the synchronisation.

the icon stayed after refresh.

to be sure restarted the browser and then the old icon was back.

So it has to do with the syncing. What to do?

after signing off the maxthon account (Email removed) and closing maxthon the file was deleted.

After starting up the icon was the new one, finally.

Logged in again and started the synchronisation.

the icon stayed after refresh.

to be sure restarted the browser and then the old icon was back.

So it has to do with the syncing. What to do?

Same thing just happened to me... bike then after 1 or 2 refreshes the eagle is now there. Considering i've never been to this forum when the eagle was the favicon says to me that somehow the old icon is still being sent somehow.

I still think it's weird that MX would sync the siteicons. My file is currently sitting at 22mb! That's a lot of data to sync just for icons of which 95%+ might not even be used in a session.

can I access these sync-ed files?

Can someone of the staff delete the file siteicon.dat?

Can't happen to my knowledge.

Favicons are not synced, best you can do is to update the favicons from sidebar  favorite > More > Update site Icons

Edit: I get the Eagle favicon, it's not Maxthon fault, that's the site's problem

Other browsers are saving the right icon.

Edit 2: IE saves a completely different favicon?????

Strange.

You people get the old icon and have never been to the site before. Ergo, the site must be at fault.

But this don't happen on other browsers! What is going on here?

edit: I guess IE is a bit slow in getting the forum's icon and get's the provider's icon

Okay. Found it.

I had the .ico defined on two locations.

When I deleted the ICO original location, it disappeared.

Reason for me to examine the page code more thouroughly and found the link.

Thanks all for your help and thinking.

Archived