Recover lost bookmarks after PC reset

Hi guys. Irecently had to reset my Asus laptop as it was having start-up problems and as a result, all the old apps were removed including Maxthon which means everything was deleted.The problem is I didn't have any account or passport in Maxthon which means I dont have any record or back-up. Is there any way that I can recover them after re-installing Maxthon after the reset? I had a year's wrth of bookmarks and I really need them. Anyone could help me? I would really appreciate it!

Hi,

I'm afraid that your data are lost...unless you still have this file "C:\Users\****"

in windows 7 and above, all datas are stored here :

(passport) C:\Users\"****"\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3\Users\"youremail@..."

or here : 

(no passport) C:\Users\"***"\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3\Users\guest

sigmax2.png

Thanks for the prompt reply, Special WIth. I'm not tech-savvy so I really dont know how to go about it unless you can give me a step-by-step guideline. Whre do I search for the "C:\Users\****"? Tried that on my latop and all that comes out are the apps that got removed post-reset. As i have stated previously, I didnt have have any Maxthon passport/account prior to this. Geez, I'm really desperate. I havent the foggiest why my Asus laptop got issues wth start-up. I closed it properly before going to work. Does this mean the bookmarks are lost forever?

Thanks for the prompt reply, Special WIth. I'm not tech-savvy so I really dont know how to go about it unless you can give me a step-by-step guideline. Whre do I search for the "C:\Users\****"? Tried that on my latop and all that comes out are the apps that got removed post-reset. As i have stated previously, I didnt have have any Maxthon passport/account prior to this. Geez, I'm really desperate. I havent the foggiest why my Asus laptop got issues wth start-up. I closed it properly before going to work. Does this mean the bookmarks are lost forever?

If you did a clean install of Windows, in other words, you formatted your hard drive, your Favorites are lost.  Is that what you did, reinstall Windows?

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

Actually this is what happened. Upon opening my laptop, a black screen appeared which says " Automatic Repair" and my laptop just would'nt start. After trying everything, the only option I had was to RESET the pc, which leaves all Windows app secures while deleting all the apps downloaded from the web. I had an experience before in Maxthon wherein all my favorites disappeared upon updating but I was able to fix that after doing my research. Since I'm using the same IP address I was thinking that even if Maxthon got deleted after reset I will recover in the same way like in iTunes). I got all my playlist back upon reinstalling.

As I have mentioned in the first post, I didn't have any passport prior to this so there is no data when I tried recovering from your site. I dont have an iTunes account, however. But I recovered all the playlists, which took a year to make.

As I have mentioned in the first post, I didn't have any passport prior to this so there is no data when I tried recovering from your site. I dont have an iTunes account, however. But I recovered all the playlists, which took a year to make.

Unfortunately it's too late now, but the best way to recover your maxthon datas in case of windows or computer crash, is to use a passport. I had a similar issue with my parents' laptop last week and was very happy to recover all their favorites using their passport.

sigmax2.png

Actually this is what happened. Upon opening my laptop, a black screen appeared which says " Automatic Repair" and my laptop just would'nt start. After trying everything, the only option I had was to RESET the pc, which leaves all Windows app secures while deleting all the apps downloaded from the web. I had an experience before in Maxthon wherein all my favorites disappeared upon updating but I was able to fix that after doing my research. 

Which version of Windows are you using? Sounds like Win8 possibly. If you did do a refresh, then you might be lucky, but if it was a full format (reset) then you have no option unless you have a backup.

Check for a Windows.OLD or Program Files.OLD or Users.OLD folders. I'm pretty sure windows makes a backup of the original Windows folder with .OLD, not 100% sure about the other two folders.

If they are there, have a look for any Maxthon3 folders, then get back to us with what you have found.

Which version of Windows are you using? Sounds like Win8 possibly. If you did do a refresh, then you might be lucky, but if it was a full format (reset) then you have no option unless you have a backup.

Check for a Windows.OLD or Program Files.OLD or Users.OLD folders. I'm pretty sure windows makes a backup of the original Windows folder with .OLD, not 100% sure about the other two folders.

If they are there, have a look for any Maxthon3 folders, then get back to us with what you have found.

In Windows 10, there are no Maxthon user folders in Windows.old.  Just checked.  Don't know if any previous OS is different though.

post3dmg4_zps398d3651.jpgWindows 10 64-bit build 10525/Windows 10 Mobile build 10512

Hi everyone. First off, thanks for the replies. Tried all your suggestions. When i did a search for the %appdata% I found favf7 and fav68 in Maxthon3/guest folders. There are also folders labelled History but they are all DAT files and when I tried opening them with Notepad all I get is giberrish. How do I open them? I also checked Windows Old and found Maxthon3 folder but they are empty. Im using Windows 8 ( and boy, it's very frustrating...my old laptop had restart issues but I easily solved it on my own everytime..WIndows 7 way easier!).I did Refresh, not Reset.

Hi everyone. First off, thanks for the replies. Tried all your suggestions. When i did a search for the %appdata% I found favf7 and fav68 in Maxthon3/guest folders. There are also folders labelled History but they are all DAT files and when I tried opening them with Notepad all I get is giberrish. How do I open them? I also checked Windows Old and found Maxthon3 folder but they are empty. Im using Windows 8 I did Refresh, not Reset.

they are all DAT files

Data files for history/last sites visited etc. They're all encrypted so you can't read them.

I did Refresh, not Reset.

That's why you can still find some old data.

I found favf7 and fav68

These are backup favourites. Looks like you may be in luck assuming this is from your last install.

Open up explorer for your current install to the Users\guest\Favorite folder. In there rename to the favorite.dat file to favorite.dat.old.

Then in the folder you found with the favXX.dat files, look for the most recent one or highest numbered. Copy that to the favorite folder mentioned above, and rename it to favorite.dat.

That should restore all you favourites.

Archived