How to recover my lost bookmarks / favorites?

I've been using maxthon 3 for awhile now and I recently decided to try maxthon 4 so I tried to install it along side of max3 but it ended up merging both products together. I uninstalled max4 and everything went back to normal until yesterday when I closed max3 and when I reopened the browser it was suddenly max4 and it gave me a pop up error that said "bookmarks crashed, would you like to rebuild library?". I clicked yes and all my favorites were gone. :( 

I don't have an online account so I can't restore them that way and I didn't have a backup html on my pc. I did however find these .dat files in "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3\Public\Favorite" and "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Maxthon3\Users\guest\Favorite\favbackup". I believed I could restore my bookmarks using "fav526.dat" which is yesterday's date and has a much larger file size compared to "fav527.dat". I tried importing it into "Favorites Manager" but nothing shows up, only an empty folder. Any ideas on how I can restore my favs using these files? I have about 5 years+ of favs and would hate to loose them all. Please help.

rename fav527.dat to favorites.dat and copy it over favorites.dat and you then are using the backup

back the Maxthon3 dir up before you start - if it all goes wrong you can go back to it

if your favorites backup dir has more backup files you can try any of those by just renaming them to favorites.dat - obviosly moving them out of the favorites backup dir

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, that's first time that I encounter problems updating my Portable version.

In general, I use to substitute the UserData folder, not the AppData.

This 2nd folder contains another Favorite.dot file, but it never changes...its dimension is always 22,0 KB, and substituting that with a new file from the backup folder, at Maxthon's restart, I find it again being 22,0 KB.

Actually I see a Favorite.dat in these different addresses:

MaxthonPortable\AppData\Public\Favorite --------------------> Favorite.dat (22KB)

MaxthonPortable\AppData\Public-zh-cn\Favorite ------------> Favorite.dat (22KB)

MaxthonPortable\UserData\Public\Favorite -------------------> Favorite.dat (22KB)

MaxthonPortable\UserData\Users\xxx@xxx.com\Favorite ---> Favorite.dat (1,85mb) + tempfb3.dat  (385KB)

MaxthonPortable\UserData\Users\guest\Favorite ------------> Favorite.dat (1,85mb) + tempfb3.dat  (34,1KB)

I've been able to recover my Favorites, putting manually this last Favorite.dat, manually in this address line.

I need (if you can help me), to recover the history items in "Smart Address" suggestions in the address bar (it's not blank, but I see older lines, that I thought I had deleted the last year).

And same problem with general settings. I don't have my loved homepage...in what folder can I find it? :(

Archived