Double clicking a word sometimes selects space characters too

This bug occurs differently on various websites (and even on the same website):

find a word. double click on it.

The possible outcomes:

1. only the word is selected.

2. the word and the following space character is selected

3. a space character is selected before the word, together with the word.

Even here, when I edit the post, if I double click a word in the text "Posting a New Topic in General Discussion" , number #2 occurs, yet if I double click a word in "Attach Files" , it selects like on #1 .

Please make it consistent, and choose only the word itself. 

The reason is that you don't always need the space character. For example, when you try to search for the selected word (sometimes it might have a "." afterwards ).

This issue exists, BTW, on multiple other web browsers for some reason.

find a word. double click on it.

2. the word and the following space character is selected

This issue exists, BTW, on multiple other web browsers for some reason.

I can confirm this ; double-click adds a space after a selected word.

But as you said other browsers do it :  IE does the same.

sigmax2.png

I always figured the trailing space is because it's seen as part of the word. That is, assuming you wanted to delete the word, you'd also want to delete the space as well so it saves an extra step. Even when replacing a word you would automatically hit space at the end, so deleting it isn't an issue as it would be replaced when typing.

After a little playing around it seems it selects different things depending on where you click. Click on or before the first letter and it selects the word + leading space + trailing space. Clicking anywhere after the first letter selects the word + trailing space.

Even using the CTRL + SHIFT + RIGHT/LEFT keyboard selects the trailing space on words. So it's by design.

In short, looks like this is the way it's meant to be so it's probably not going to change. And if every other browser does this as well, well it's probably a standard method. You need to change your methods, not the browser.

Hi,
Thanks for your question. We tried as you described, it seems to be a setting like this. We tested with different pages.The same thing you mentioned also happens in chrome. If you click on it , sometimes you choose on word and space, sometimes you choose on a paragraph in chrome.We do not think it is a bug. If you want to choose a word or a sentence precisely , maybe you can choose the content from beginning to the end to avoid the space double click bring you. And we will communicate with product department about this. I hope this could help you.

Archived