4.4.5.1800 Preloading Tabs with Search Results as You Type (Even with That Setting Disabled)

EDIT:  I didn't realize it when I first posted, but there's another thread about this issue here.

After updating to 4.4.5.1800, Maxthon behaves as if the tickbox Preload webpage with search results with typing in address bar is checked — even though it's not.

I noticed this when entering the first character of one of my URL Aliases (which I use regularly).  That first character caused the empty tab with that had focus to load a Google Search results page.  Finishing typing my URL Aliases resulted in a Google page of results using that alias as a search term.

Users can fix/reset this behavior by going to settings, checking the Preload webpage with search results with typing in address bar tickbox under Address bar, and unchecking it; then restarting Maxthon.  (Still, it's an out-of-the-box bug in the latest beta.)

Maxthon_4.4.5.1800_SmartAddressBarPreloa

This is my first bug report in the new forum.  Am I right in thinking Product Support » General Discussion is the place to report bugs, with them being moved to Bug Report as they're confirmed?

You are right, it was the first problem I had found with the last 1800! But it's not really a bug, it exists only if you update Maxthon, not with a first or clean install! Like there is a new setting in configuration, it is not well established after an update.

This is my first bug report in the new forum.  Am I right in thinking Product Support » General Discussion is the place to report bugs, with them being moved to Bug Report as they're confirmed?

about bug reports, we leave to devs the responsability to tag it as a confirmed bug.

and I confirm Oliver's statement : a clean install is the fix

sigmax2.png

Thanks, guys!

Though it's easily fixed by the user, I'd still categorize it as a bug in that the behavior is present after upgrading though the box isn't checked.

If that's easily fixable, I'd recommend fixing it in the official (non-beta) release to avoid confusion (especially as that behavior may get passed down through subsequent generations of updates).

If not, I'd recommend a note with the official release recommending a clean install.  While some of us do clean installs from time to time, it's hardly the default behavior of typical users.

about bug reports, we leave to devs the responsability to tag it as a confirmed bug.

Thanks, Ody!  I've been seeing the tags, but I wasn't sure if there were any I should be using on my own posts (or how to do that).  If it's something the dev team does to keep track of our posts (and show us what they're looking at), that's great, too — a smart way to use 'em!

Hi there,
there is confirmed bug, and we are trying to figure it out .

please be patient, 

now, you can disable the [Open a new tab from the address bar] at present , but it will cause that the search result will not show up in 
the new tab, it will show up in the current one ..

and our team is dealing with this problem .
thanks for supporting maxthon . 

post-484693-0-25722600-1431940333_thumb.

• 4 weeks later...

A quick update, as of 4.4.5.3000:

(1)  The checkbox for Preload webpage with search results while typing in the address bar now comes checked.  On a clean install, this is fine — but on upgrading, the user's existing setting should be inherited, not overwritten.

(2)  With the option checked, URL aliases will not work.  Individual keystrokes behave as expected, demonstrating the search-as-you-type behavior, but when you hit ENTER at the end of typing a URL alias, the string from the address bar is sent directly to the default search engine, without being checked against URL aliases first.

I made a quick video demonstrating both behaviors.

now, you can disable the [Open a new tab from the address bar] at present , but it will cause that the search result will not show up in 
the new tab, it will show up in the current one ..

Thanks!  Just to be clear:  Tab focus isn't the issue (at least for me).  I mentioned it in my first post to describe what happens when attempting to use a URL alias with the new option enabled, but the video linked above may make it clearer.   :)

Archived