Extensions disabled on maxthon.com domains? Why?

7twenty

So up till now this has never really bugged me, in part because AdHunter was able to do the CSS mods.

Was looking at stylish-ing up the MX forum for my use, then I remembered that extensions don't work on any Maxthon sites.

I'm curious to know the thought is behind this? What does it accomplish in restricting a user from using extensions as they want?

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

that sounds to me to be a sledgehammer to crack a nut - i fully accept that the owner of the site has every right to put in place what they want 

BUT

the site is there for the users and users are asking for and would like to run addons - surely the ones that Maxthon feel are not appropriate can be specifically blocked - other [harmless] ones allowed

its all very well creating what YOU want but if nobody visits for the reason the site is poor then your argument is self defeating

the middle ground would seem a positive approach 

Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

• 4 months later...

lets come back to noads - one of the most useful extensions for making a webpage better - blocking and changing stuff without worrying about rules - just highlight an area and the annoying content is hidden

but not here - Maxthon block it - WHY? - i and others have asked that many times and the question is ignored

i asked it further up this thread and got a like from Bugsir7 - thats a platitude at best and certainly an oxymoron - how can an admin like something and then neither comment or do something about it 

• Like 2

lets come back to noads - one of the most useful extensions for making a webpage better - blocking and changing stuff without worrying about rules - just highlight an area and the annoying content is hidden

but not here - Maxthon block it - WHY? - i and others have asked that many times and the question is ignored

i asked it further up this thread and got a like from Bugsir7 - thats a platitude at best and certainly an oxymoron - how can an admin like something and then neither comment or do something about it 

Hi Tony,

Really sorry. I liked your post and i had to confirm with our team why noads does not work on maxthon pages anymore.I didn't not mean to ignore your post. 

Actually, for security issues noads extension has been disabled:

Under maxthon.cn/com domain name  some API can modify some part of the user's Settings. Allowing extension is to run under these two domains will give the extension the permission to change user's settings. Due to this reason noads has been temporarily disabled to run under maxthon domain.

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

Really sorry. I liked your post and i had to confirm with our team why noads does not work on maxthon pages anymore.I didn't not mean to ignore your post. 

Actually, for security issues noads extension has been disabled:

Under maxthon.cn/com domain name  some API can modify some part of the user's Settings. Allowing extension is to run under these two domains will give the extension the permission to change user's settings. Due to this reason noads has been temporarily disabled to run under maxthon domain.

have posted elsewhere on this and will leave the post there - i really dont understand what is being said - it sounds like tech rubbish to me - but what do i know - if the reason given sounds technical enough then most people accept the line - but bullshit is bullshit however its said - sorry thats what it sounds like to me 

ADD

and if the tech reason does not stand scrutiny then invoke a security issue - same bullshit 

Edited by Tony

its all very well creating what YOU want but if nobody visits for the reason the site is poor then your argument is self defeating

Who wouldn't visit because they aren't able to apply a script or use an addon? If ever an argument was self defeating, it is surely this one.

People come here to seek help not to test their scripts.