[4.4.4.3000] Browser sometimes close itself a few seconds after startup.

zwim

Hi, i have searched the forum, seems my issue is not reported.

I had first experienced this with 4.4.4.2000 (previously i was on a 4.4.3.x), and now i am on 4.4.4.3000. I run winXP sp3.

Sometimes (between 0 and 2 times a day) i start the browser, it launches properly then after a few seconds (< 5s) it closes itself.

The content of the browser does not seem to matter (i.e. reload last websites opened or just bare quick access window).

In general, once the issue is there, i can't get away with it. If i relaunch the browser many times, it closes the same way as many times.

In some cases, if i wait a few minutes before trying again, i will launch and work properly, but often the only solution is to close the session and log in again, then it will 100% launch properly.

Except for this behaviour Maxthon is very stable for me, even for hours of browsing.

It doesn't behave like a crash, it just closes (there is not popup message, nor any other message when it happens to launch properly again).

I have verified in active processes before the launch and after the close, there is no Maxthon zombie thread running in the background.

I have tried also to disable ABP extension for 4 days and haven't noticed the issue, so it may be related to adblock, but considering the frequency of the issue, i could also be luck.

It reproduced this morning, i have zipped the MaxthonCrashData folder and uploaded here.

As you can see by the numerous reports, when it happens once, it can be reproduced easily.

I performed many launches all ending up in a crash.

I have launched MaxthonPortable with success 5 times within these tries.

Also i succeeded 2 times to deactivate ABP extension during the 5s the browser was alive. Each time the next relaunch was successful and stable and it crashed as soon as i reactivated the extension.

For the other suggestions, i never used passport.

MaxthonCrashData.zip

So you normally use an installed version and it has the issue described. When you tried with the portable version it worked 5/5 times and no crashes?

If that is correct, then it's something in your settings that is causing the ABP addon to crash. As Oliver pointed out, a clean install should resolve that, meaning delete the userdata folder found in "%appdata%\maxthon3". Type that path into an explorer window and it will go directly to that folder. Make a copy of it first so you still have your data.

To figure out what exactly is causing the issue, you can then copy back one folder at a time till the issue reoccurs. Or depending on your settings it maybe just easier to reset your settings manually.

If I understood that wrong, then we'll need to look from another angle.

Follow up of the story.

After integrating my settings by dichotomy -- yay that was fun... :-\

It seems that what is provocking the issue is the folder :

%appdata%/maxthon3/Users/guest/AdFilter

It seems that stability can be obtained this way :

- from an empty directory %appdata%/maxthon3/

- copying back all my settings

- except Users/guest/AdFilter

- except Users/guest/AdBlock

If i copy back AdFilter then it crashes, and no matter if i delete it again it continues to crash. The only solution is to start from scratch as indicated above.

I cross fingers, seems to hold for now.

I know that a clean install is recommended, yet losing one's settings everytime is painful, please favor migration whenever possible.

zwim replied at 2015-4-4 09:09 back.gif

Follow up of the story.

After integrating my settings by dichotomy -- yay that was fun... :-\

yes clean install often fixes bugs and no clean install does not mean you lose everything, as long as you have a passport and synced your data.

sigmax2.png

• 2 weeks later...