Adblock Plus < Maxthon AdHunter

sajphon

I just updated to the newest 4.4.4.600 version and I came to conclusion, that the new AdBlock Plus is not as good as maxthon adhunter in terms of css modification.

I used adhunter not only to block ads, but also to modify css of some sites to make them look better and easier to read and navigate on.

But with the new Adblock plus, there is no way to modify CSS, only to hide specified elements. This is not the best solution unfortunately. If this is only my problem, I will delete my post and develop plugin to replace this feature :)

I agree that the Adblock is now much inferior in functionality AD-hunter and it's versions on other browsers. It would be better to make it as a separate extension, not replace the AD-hunter. If you make the extension, post it in this thread please, because it can be rejected for unknown reasons.

• Like 1

Dev CZ replied at 2014-12-30 05:16 back.gif

Plugin already exists -> Stylish for Maxthon: http://extension.maxthon.com/detail/index.php?view_id= ...

Stylish designed for other purposes.

It is not suitable to quick and easy block any element on the page. Rules such as ## div.banner-top does not work in it. Also I noticed that the new version is much slower than 4.4.3.3000

Now the opportunity to sync my content filters is gone (hopefully temporarily). Maxton has become less cloudy than it was before .

Want to know my opinion on this?

1. There shouldn't had been support for CSS in the AdHunter in the first place, even the name implies that it blocks advertisements, not enhances pages with your custom stylesheets. If you need that feature that badly, you can use Stylish extension, which, in my opinion, does this job much better

2. If you're concerned about browser performance, you can disable ABP entirely, or only disable its EasyList subscribtion

3. I do admit that concatenating the separated custom rules for all domains into one big list was a step in the wrong direction

4. The updated ABP syntax is easier to use (for example you don't need to put asterisks before and after rules and || substitutes for "http(s)://(www.)", as well as file type filtering)

Conclusion: I have a feeling everyone in this thread has a baby duck syndrome

SWFlash0 replied at 2014-12-31 05:44 back.gif

1. There shouldn't had been support for CSS in the AdHunter in the ...

I think everyone would be happy if only the Adblock Plus is made ​​in the form of extension. But now it acts as a replacement for the built-in blocker, while worse in its convenience and functionality. I'm using Adblock Plus for other browsers , so it can be compared and the comparison is not in favor of this. Furthermore, the performance fell in three! times in this version, so it does hardly move like a pregnant turtle.

post-17498206-14315122926186_thumb.png

SWFlash0 replied at 2014-12-31 05:44 back.gif

I don't care what option is put where and how it is called - if it's here and it's working I'm 100% happy :victory: Now let's take a look at ABP: is it working better as ad hunter? No. Does it have any additional usefull functions or options? No. Is it at least working as good as ad hunter? Noo… So why to try to fix something what's not broken? Users are asking for it? Fine - make it as optional feature, everyone will be happy and I hope Maxthon creators will go this way. Ad hunter is one of the couple reasons why I'm using Maxthon, if it will go, I might go too - there are plenty soulless browsers out there and Maxthon is slowly becomming one of them…

SWFlash0 replied at 2014-12-31 23:44 back.gif

Some good points there.

1. CSS support in AH was a nice a feature, whether it was intentional or not it was handy.

2. If you disable then you're back to no adblocker? Surely that's worse than AdHunter?

3. Yep, much less user friendly now. But maybe that's the point if it's supposed to "just work".

4. It would have been nice if AH was able to be updated to use the same ABP syntax. I'm guessing that probably wasn't an option, or there wouldn't have been any benefit in it's blocking capability in doing so.

So far it's only the first release, so hopefully things get better. Although i'm not sure what else Maxthon can do?

I think the fact the OP used Ad hunter to modify CSS instead of it's intended purpose was just as much a misuse of the feature set instead of it's intended function to hide adverts, it doesn't justify the need to make a spanner a screwdriver for someone. If there is a need to change CSS on the fly then a separate extension could be made for that instead, and as much as people have praised ad hunter, it was nowhere as good as ad block in terms of ease of use or abilities, and anybody who uses heavy ad supported sites would tell you that, you had to constantly either update it yourself or edit the filters which is fine if you're a seasoned surfer but that isn't the case for most. Ad hunter failed miserable if there was more than 4 ads on a single page or any video based adverts or popups, or malicious urls to name just a few.

I for one have not used maxthon as my default browser because of the advert situation and poor ad blocking capabilities. The introduction of abp may change my mind, good job!

For my part, I'm very happy that Maxthon decided to integrate ABP. An addon would be interesting too.

Ad Hunter is pretty useless on lots of websites I use every day. It doesn't block flash banners, pop under and so on. I have to confess that sometimes, I use Chrome+ABP when I know I'll be inundated with ads on a website.

Ad Hunter is (or try to be) an adblocker, not a tool used to modify CSS. It fails very often. It's not acceptable for a browser like Maxthon which has so many powerful features, not to have a decent adblocker.

I really don't understand you guys, even if I respect your opinions. Ad Hunter is the #1 weakness in Maxthon and the only reason why I (and probably lots of other people) always go back to an other browser with a decent adblock.

I know for sure that if Maxthon has its own ABP (integrated or addon), I have no reason to go back to Chrome, Firefox or IE.

• Like 1

I must be the only one who didn't have lots of issues with AH. Since running with ABP i've been noticing ads & popups on sites that i haven't seen for ages/ever.

Adblock is simple in useCan you explain what it is that makes ABP so simple to use? I found AH simple enough once you understand the basics.

Dermot replied at 2015-1-3 16:16 back.gif

I think the fact the OP used Ad hunter to modify CSS instead of it's intended purpose was just as m ...

Perhaps it was a misuse, to use it to modify CSS too, but it still doesnt make adhunter bad.

I never experienced problems that you describe.

For youtube adverts I use YoutubeCenter.

AdHunter was much better for advanced users. I was creating some css changes for many many websites for few years now (for example this great css change for wikipedia was so convinient to use!! http://oldforum.maxthon.com/viewthread.php?tid=80274 )

And now it is gone. And for what? For users that only use Maxthon without any knowledge about browser, internet, css and anything.

So now.. Maxthon is "user friendly" with integrated AdBlock Plus enabled by default. And we (small percentage of users) just got scr**d without any option to: permanently turn off adblock plus, without poissibility to get back to AdHunter great css changes (except for going back to old versions and stick with them, or use this Stylish extension mentioned earlier - I really hope it will work!).

I am only happy for those other users that they now have AdBlocker Plus they asked about for so long time (few years I guess). At least there is one positive in this mess -- some people will stop thinking about Maxthon as "full ad bulk browser"...

why the hell dont they make ABP an extension and leave AH in - they could disable global rules in AH or make it possible to turn them off - that way its the best of both worlds

but unless something changes they will just carry on blindly as they always have done - at the moment unless i can work out how to use Stylish which at the moment i cannot get my head round Maxthon development is dead - 4.4.4 is a closed branch for me

• Like 1
Tony     -  Vivaldi 4 on Windows 10 64Bit

2 ALL

Those who wrote that AdHunter is yuck, don't know how to write filters. Well-written filter is the key to everything, Ad-Hunter can cut out any advertising (and change CSS structure).

ABP can do the same (except css structure), but the price is browsing speed. Return back AdHunter. ABP must be only extension.

• Like 1