Adblock Plus < Maxthon AdHunter

sajphon

It would be nice if someone with more knowledge of AH and ABP was able to explain the differences in how they work and what exactly it is that makes ABP that much better. I've said before that i'm sure it's just a case of the filters being more up to date with ABP as that is the only thing that ABP does. But then there are things that AH always had issues with (video ads and popups) which ABP is purportedly very good at (although that hasn't been my view so far, even though it works well on FF/Chrome).

When I first installed v4.4.4.600, ABP didn't seem to be working well at all. On some sites ads were blocked, on others not. I was getting ads showing on sites that AH used to block, couldn't work it out. It seems that, when first installed, ABP by default loads the Maxthon List and EasyList filters.

On checking the filters I noticed that the EasyList filter wasn't downloading/updating, Maxthon List was fine, but many ads were not being blocked. So I deleted these two filters and instead installed the ABPindo+EasyList from the filter subscription list, which downloaded/updated ok.

Cleared all browsing data, restarted Maxthon and all ads are now being blocked. ABP is working as it should, no ads at all, even on YouTube, which has always been a pain for me in the past.

I'm not really noticing any significant slowdown in browsing. Memory use is a little higher but that's only the same as happens with ABP installed in other browsers and this is a Beta so maybe memory use will decrease in later versions. CPU and memory use will be higher depending on what kind of site you're viewing, sites heavily laden with ads, newspaper sites etc. But that's normal if you compare it to other browsers with ABP or any other ad blocker installed, some are heavier on resources than others.

I don't know if this helps anyone who's not seeing the benefit of having ABP running. I'm only posting my experience and what I'm seeing. At first I was totally unimpressed with it, but after changing the filters as described I now see that ABP is a good addition to Maxthon.

It's making it a better browsing experience for me, and that's all I want. No adverts.

To all the people trying to figure out Stylish, it's not difficult it's just different. To make a global list click "manage styles", then "write a new style". Name it "Global". Instead of ## plus the element like: ##.advert , you need to write: .advert{display:none !important;} once it's specified to add other elements just separate with commas like: .advert,#ad,#bannerad{display:none !important;} and save. If no domain, url, prefix or regexp is specified it applies it globally. For site specific lists specify under "domains" for example: "youtube.com" (no quotes), then name it "Youtube". All your CSS will work exactly the same once you remove the "##" in front, but be aware that you'll likely need to add "!important;" declarations to override CSS (Adhunter did this by default). The resource heavy aspect of ABP is the element hiding. It doesn't just block elements, it "transforms" them by injecting stylesheets, resulting in higher memory usage. You can turn off the lists and just use Stylish to block CSS and ABP to block url's just like Adhunter.

anagrammar replied at 2015-1-6 05:40 back.gif

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't do that if you wanna, but all of those features exist in Stylish.

Well :) As for a developer, it's challenge for me :) and to be honest, Stylish is not really that user friendly. Personally, i've installed it, disliked every part of it, and uninstalled it before you could say "I'm gonna develop new extension, that fits my needs" :)

sajphon replied at 2015-1-6 14:58 back.gif

Well As for a developer, it's challenge for me and to be honest, Stylish is not really that ...

Well as a developer myself, we know that sometimes we can start a project to fill a gap we would like and then end up making it for everybody :) This was the situation with me making the ad blocks for yahoo messenger and skype.

I'm very disappointed. I was waiting for APB for soooo long, couldn't wait for "block element" feature which is my no1 feature in APB, and was as custom rule in AdHunter. Now you gave us some demo version of APB, how is it possible you didn't integrate "block element" in it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

2 ALL

Those who wrote that AdHunter is yuck, don't know how to write filters. Well-written filter is the key to everything, Ad-Hunter can cut out any advertising (and change CSS structure).

ABP can do the same (except css structure), but the price is browsing speed. Return back AdHunter. ABP must be only extension.

I agree!

"Return back AdHunter. ABP must be only extension."