Has Development Stopped In Maxthon For Linux?

perknh

Hello friends and Maxthonites!

My favorite browser for Linux is Maxthon, But since I haven't seen any upgrades for a long time with Maxthon for Linux, I've decided to go back to Chrome for the time being.

Chrome's stable version is now at Version 39.0.2171.71 (64-bit), and I imagine Chromium, on which Maxthon for Linux is based, must be around Version 42.

Now the most important thing one can do for the security of any computer, besides having an updated distribution, is to have an updated browser. Is Maxthon for Linux still in development, or has development for Maxthon in Linux stopped for right now?

I miss my Maxthon browser in Linux, but I do get nervous when I don't see upgrades for a while. :(

Thank you,

perknh

There's been a tug of war between Google and the the powers that be. Maxthon, for the time being, is caught between the devil and deep blue sea.

I hope these issues will get resolved sooner than later. Maxthon is a world-class browser. Tony, I believe this is more of a corporate culture versus polity conflict than an issue solely about money. In today's modern world, it's very difficult to tie down and control all information, and, Google, for better or worse, has become the world's best vehicle for delivering information. Of course, what Google has gotten out of all of this is incalculable amounts of data. And who controls the data becomes, inevitably, the power behind the scenes. Yes, there's tons of money to be made, but there's even more to be gained than money -- lots of control!

Now, what do you do with, and how do you use, the vast amounts of data generated by the aggregating all this information? This is a problem that can create great conflict.

Maxthon is a powerful agent for change in China. Harmony will come sooner or later, I'm sure. I'm going to wait, but I will use Chrome browser in the meantime for reasons of browser security. But I want my Maxthon browser back ASAP!

Thanks for responding, my friends. I did not know this problem was affecting all the platforms of Maxthon, but that makes a lot of sense. I've been narrowly focused in my world of Linux -- another love of mine!

Thank you.

Why on Earth would you want to use Google Chrome on Linux when you could be using the new Opera Browser on there? If you do not want to use Maxthon on Linux for the time being then please use Opera and keep clear of anything with a Google brand. Opera and Yandex (especially slim alpha) are the best looking Chrome browsers and always being updated often. I wouldn't give you a penny for a Google chrome browser, pug ugly no decent features and a spyware in disguise. I believe Yandex is about to release their browser for Linux or already have so look out for that especially when the new slim Yandex hits Linux eventually. For Yandex to steal the Chrome browser title once and for all it needs to have a quality accelerated download manager this is vital as no Chrome browser does and the extensions claiming to do so are crap. Nothing worse than having to have external download managers.

Hello 30114452,

Thank you for your ideas here.

The new Opera for Windows is based on Google Chrome's new rendering engine called Blink. If you're using Opera within Windows, you are using Google Chrome's rendering engine no mater what!

Maxthon for Linux is using Google's Blink rendering engine too. And, if your hardware is compatible, it is absolutely the best rendering engine on Planet Earth. Maxthon for Linux is based on Chromium, and other open source software, and Maxthon for Linux uses Blink rendering engine too.

Now Opera's Linux browser has been out of development for a long time -- perhaps a couple of years! That is the reason why I am using Google Chrome as my primary browser, as well as Firefox as my secondary browser -- that is until Maxthon for Linux gets an upgrade!

Thank you, 30114452.

perknh

I use Chrome for business browsing and Maxthon for personal browsing. The benefit of these 2 browsers over the rest is that they actively backup and synch your favorites thus moving to new computers and systems is a breeze, having recently moved to Linux Ubuntu, I know this first hand.

Why anyone would want to use a browser which has been in lock down for a couple of years and wound not even allow you to add new favorites which is the case with Opera is beyond me. The new Opera is I fear for many too little too late and that is certainly the case for me.

Sad to hear Maxthon is having issues keeping itself updated, as I am starting to notice little bugs creeping in, like I cannot add new favorites since the latest Ubuntu updates and it no longer works well with many website drop down menus.

However I am going to stick with Maxthon and hopefully all will be resolved and not go the way of Opera, a browser that could have rocked the world if only it had timely developer support.

• 4 weeks later...

We will be waiting for a new debian maxthon version or an update! :(

Have a look the differences between maxthon versions that for the answers on the forum! My version is Maxthon 1.0.5.3, No.1MaxthonFans' version is Maxthon 4.4.3.3000! This is unbelievable!

Please help global moderators!:curse: :victory:

BugSir007's post: http://forum.maxthon.com/thread-14014-1-1.html is a welcomed sign that development is not dead at Maxthon.

It just might be that the Linux team is having problems with Chrome's relatively new aura feature. I bet it's a brain teaser like nothing I could imagine!

Anyway, hope persists that we will get an updated and upgraded browser soon.

BugSir007's post is a very welcomed sign for anyone who enjoys using Maxthon browser. :)

• 2 weeks later...

That link is about a windows release. There's no mention of linux at all.

I'm a recent adopter of maxthon across all my devices, windows, android, mac and linux.

This thread is the first I've heard of a risk of no linux commitment. I looked for such info when I first started with maxthon and found the version mis-match, but no explanation. It's not uncommon so I went with it.

I've invested many hours into making maxthon my alternative browser. Part of me thinks there should have been a warning on the download page, as this now feels like wasted time.

:(

Of course, CarbonPepper, you're correct that that particular thread makes no specific commitment to Linux. Still I consider the thread to be a good sign in general for Maxthon because many of us here haven't seen any development within Maxthon --on ANY platform -- for a long, long time!

There will be a Q & A session with Karl Mattson tomorrow. Karl Mattson is the Vice President of Maxthon International, and Maxthon's General Manager. As you can see within the link below, I did ask Mr. Mattson specifically about Maxthon for Linux. I'm sure many of us here hope Mr. Mattson will take a moment to specifically address the issue of Maxthon Cloud Browser for Linux.

We'll soon read what he says.

CarbonPepper, thank you. Your point is well taken.

perknh

http://forum.maxthon.com/thread-14237-1-1.html

replied at 2015-1-21 06:27 back.gif

Thank you for your support.

The development of Maxthon for Linux has been paused. I don't know when ...

Can you make version with new language files at least please?

In last version you forgot add languages...

Here's the link to Karl Mattson's answer from today's Live Chat. I do appreciate Mr. Mattson's candor and conundrum.

http://forum.maxthon.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=14237&page=2#pid76530

When I see that Maxthon for Linux is once again updated and stable, I'll return to Maxthon for Linux.

My favorite browser for Linux has always been Maxthon. I just have to know that it's always updated and stable.

I was waiting a looong time for any upgrade, but nothing.

The maxthon's idea of customization was what get my attention, but really, on linux is a headache, is really slow and resource eater with the time.

Maybe, in 5-6 years I'll give it a re-try, but how I see this project, maybe never be able to see another version.

Regards.

I tried Maxthon for Linux again, this time within Deepin browser. Unfortunately I had problems with Maxthon's homepage weather app. I also had problems with flash, and I got a warning from within Gmail saying that "This version of Chrome is no longer supported. Please upgrade to supported browser."

Maxthon Cloud Browser for Linux remains the best browser I have ever used EVER -- when it was working right! Now the browser has lost so much of its functionality on my computer, I actually get warnings asking me to upgrade to a supported browser!!

ranmaru.hibikiya, your point is well-taken. I still check in every once in a while, hoping that the Maxthon team will have updated, or upgraded, Maxthon for Linux, but I've seen nothing yet.

Hello Maxthon for Linux Lovers,

I've wondered if any of you have taken a look at Opera for Linux.  Although Opera of Linux is not a perfect browser, it is still under active development, and it is very similar in lots of ways to the old Maxthon for Linux browser that all of us used to enjoy so much.

Opera, a Norwegian browser, is in the process to being sold to a Chinese "consortium that includes mobile game company Kunlun, security an search firm Qihoo 360, an Yonglian Investment"* --so it's going to become a Chinese browser quite similar to our old Maxthon for Linux soon anyway.

Anyway, Maxthon for Linux lovers, I thought many or you here would find this information interesting if you did not already know about this development in the world of browsers for Linux that are already quite similar to Maxthon.

All the best,

perknh

*Source:

Opera CEO: Sale To Chinese Consortium Wasn’t Our Decision

by Frederic Lardinois for TechCrunch

http://techcrunch.com/2016/02/25/opera-ceo-sale-to-chinese-consortium-wasnt-our-decision/

•  
Edited by -ody-
merged both posts

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 1/30/2015, 9:17:13, perknh said:

I tried Maxthon for Linux again, this time within Deepin browser. Unfortunately I had problems with Maxthon's homepage weather app. I also had problems with flash, and I got a warning from within Gmail saying that "This version of Chrome is no longer supported. Please upgrade to supported browser."

Maxthon Cloud Browser for Linux remains the best browser I have ever used EVER -- when it was working right! Now the browser has lost so much of its functionality on my computer, I actually get warnings asking me to upgrade to a supported browser!!

ranmaru.hibikiya, your point is well-taken. I still check in every once in a while, hoping that the Maxthon team will have updated, or upgraded, Maxthon for Linux, but I've seen nothing yet.

Hello Maxthon for Linux Lovers,

I've wondered if any of you have taken a look at Opera for Linux.  Although Opera of Linux is not a perfect browser, it is still under active development, and it is very similar in lots of ways to the old Maxthon for Linux browser that all of us used to enjoy so much.

Opera, a Norwegian browser, is in the process to being sold to a Chinese "consortium that includes mobile game company Kunlun, security an search firm Qihoo 360, an Yonglian Investment"* --so it's going to become a Chinese browser quite similar to our old Maxthon for Linux soon anyway.

Anyway, Maxthon for Linux lovers, I thought many or you here would find this information interesting if you did not already know about this development in the world of browsers for Linux that are already quite similar to Maxthon.

All the best,

perknh

*Source:

Opera CEO: Sale To Chinese Consortium Wasn’t Our Decision

by Frederic Lardinois for TechCrunch

http://techcrunch.com/2016/02/25/opera-ceo-sale-to-chinese-consortium-wasnt-our-decision/

•  

Thank you, ody, for merging these two posts.  I agree with you that they go perfectly together.  Sharp eye --and thank you!  But now my challenge is how will I get anyone to read the second half of this post?!!!  I'm particularly interested in what yona-tyt, No.1MaxtonFan, and Dev CZ would have to say concerning Opera browser being bought by a Chinese consortium.  These old friends and allies of mine, who have hung in here with Maxthon for Linux, probably know more about this subject than anyone else here in this thread.  All I know it that I miss my Maxthon Cloud Browser for Linux, but it's now been an entire year without any updates, upgrades, or development occurring in what was my favorite Linux browser of all time.   Might Maxthon Ltd. be within this consortium of which Opera's CEO, Lars Boilesen, is mentioning?  And will Opera for Linux continue to be developed after this purchase?  I'd hate to see development for Opera for Linux stop as it did for Maxthon for Linux here. These are the questions I would love to have answers to.

Thank you,

perknh