maxthon automatically using proxy?

joejohn

Hello,

I installed maxthon because I heard a lot of good things about it. this is on a windows 7 machine.

I started using it for a few hours and everything was going ok. But then I noticed something that made me nervous. next to the url bar, there was a green thing, like 2 plugs being connected together. I hovered over it and it said maxthon is connected through a proxy.

I never authorized this and I have no idea why it was doing that. is this normal? does maxthon automatically connect through a proxy? I am concerned about my passwords being stolen so I dont want to connect through a proxy. most people also do not want to connect through a proxy. so I dont understand why maxthon would make this the default setting.

If you click on the icon you will go to the Proxy Settings page and if i'm not mistaken it will be set to use the IE proxy settings by default. So if you have those setup then that is what is being used, otherwise it will be a direct connection.

I agree that it should probably be set to No Proxy by default, but it's probably like that because so if you do have a proxy setup for IE, then you probably want to use that as a default connection. If you don't then nothing happens and it doesn't make a difference.