History not recording

Hi,

Maxthon seems to have ceased recording my web history as of just before midnight on the 2nd of May. I would guess this may be when I installed V4.4.0.3000. Have kept it up to date since, and am currently on V4.4.2.800, but still that's the most recent date anything has been recorded in my history.

I do not synchronise to the cloud, I'm running on Win 7 x64, and it's starting to become a little inconvenient. Could anyone help?

I don't think you will be able to get anything back, if that is what you're asking.

I'm thinking one of the files may have been corrupted. You can try a disk check using Windows Scandisk, although no guarantee that will work or fix the issue.

Try moving/deleting the old history*.dat files from your Maxthon4\UserData\Users\guest\History folder. Restart & see if it starts working properly.

Oh, no, not worried at all about the 'lost' history, I'd just like it to start recording again!

Anyway - thanks for that tip. Removing the single file with the most recent date on it (just after the timestamp I mentioned previously) does indeed appear to have fixed the problem. :-)

Could a future version of Maxthon perhaps detect when it is unable to write to the history files and alert the user, perhaps?

AaronX replied at 2014-7-8 17:40 back.gif

Oh, no, not worried at all about the 'lost' history, I'd just like it to start recording again!

Any ...

Hi,

Glad to hear that your problem was solved.

Thank you for your useful request.

I'll talk to our product team to see if the feature to alert users when some functions are not working fine can be implemented.

Thanks again for your support!

AaronX replied at 2014-7-9 11:40 back.gif

Any ...

Great to see that it fixed your problem.

About the alert option, i'm not sure how that would be implemented? It seems that Maxthon didn't detect any issues, therefore you received no error. If it couldn't write to the file then it should have alerted you. So something is amiss there.

• 4 weeks later...

7twenty replied at 2014-7-9 05:19 back.gif

Great to see that it fixed your problem.

About the alert option, i'm not sure how that would be i ...

Thanks for your response.

Very odd indeed. If there is such an alert already, that would suggest something is buggy in how Maxthon detects such problems at present? Not a huge problem I suppose and relatively rare, but would be nice if it could be sorted for future.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I have the same problem as the one stated here, with the only exception that my problem is not from having the session in the private mode. Simply put, my history is not updating since 2014-7-14, Monday, 23:58... and now it's 2014-10-05, so around 3 and a half months with no recorded history. And no, I do not have checked "Auto clear on exit"... since I checked that thing when I've seen the thread.

I am not logged in, but all my history was done when not logged in. If you need screenshots, just say.

SapioiT replied at 2014-10-5 23:03 back.gif

Hi!

I have the same problem as the one stated here, with the only exception that my problem is not ...

Try updating to the most recent release, as that apparently fixed it for this guy.

Otherwise it's probably corrupt files. Delete the history files and it should work fine again. See above for path to find them. You will lose your history till now, but it does fix the problem.

I'm always keeping it up to date, by updating it the first time I see the new version out as portable. I have renamed the whole folder History to a new name and copied the fines which were not history* to the new History folder. Just restarting the browser.

Edit: It worked. I was worried about using the "Clean browsing data" option, because there was no known (by me) way to keep my history from "back then", in case I ever need it. So just backing up the old "History" folder worked.

...and somehow I did not managed to find this thread before posting my (now merged with this one) thread.

Thanks a lot!

The only history I can see is from August. Nothing from September or October. Could I have changed some kind of setting (I don't know about) to make it stop saving history? I really rely on history a lot, and miss it terribly. Please help me to fix Maxthon so it will start saving my history again. I AM logged into my passport, at all times. That's the first thing I checked. I looked through all the settings, and can't find anything that could make it stop saving history, so I'm at a loss. :(

I already had the same problem fixed about a month ago I think? Title: Mx4 no history

Download Maxthon installer and delete the folder where you installed Maxthon(delete it completely not just uninstall it), Then install Maxthon, observe it for a while if it's fixed, Mine was fixed but I don't know how, I just did this and later it saves history again

Archived