Refresh brings up another tabbed page

Lately, don't know what caused it, when I click the refresh icon the page jumps to a tabbed page. When I use dbl click and from the drop down menu select "Refresh" the page refreshes correctly.

Now today, when I click refresh it bring up a page that apparently is supposed to read the page to me. There must be a setting to cause me to hear the words on the page but I don't see any settings. Each time I have to click the X in the upper right cornet to close the black-background page to reveal the web page.

Tips?

Thanks,

Kerry

Maxthon 4.4.1.200

Windows 8.1

Hi 7twenty,

See attachment:

It doesn't happen every time. I don't see where to turn it off.

I didn't see the clean install at: http://forum.maxthon.com/thread-12101-1-1.html#sthash.PN6yKMNP.dpuf —only the one for Android. Is there a more recent version than: Maxthon 4.4.1.200 ?

Are you running any special extensions? Just the default ones that come with installation.

post-30360531-14315120267771_thumb.jpg

OK, so you've found reader mode. It's purpose is to show the page with just the content. No ads or fancy layout which allows you to easily read it without distractions.

This mode doesn't read out anything, which is what I thought you were saying in your first post.

It shouldn't display automatically unless you set it to do so. To enable/disable it you just press the reader mode icon in the address bar (or the X in the corner). The fact that it's happening automatically means you must have turned on the auto-reader mode at some stage on that site. Move your mouse to the bottom of the page and check the button highlighted in the image below isn't highlighted. If it is, press it to disable.

post-1279399-14315120272434_thumb.png

Thanks, I believe Reader Mode has stopped appearing automatically.

My one remaining problem is that when I press the Refresh icon on the menu bar it brings up another tabbed page rather than the one I want refreshed. This has been happening consistently with all web pages.

Thanks, Kerry

iKerry replied at 2014-7-19 18:38 back.gif

Thanks, I believe Reader Mode has stopped appearing automatically.

My one remaining problem is that ...

Which sites are giving you problems with Reader mode? You can report them directly from reader mode(it's the icon directly below the (x) close button). Do you have the auto reader button selected? It should display in green if it is activated. It works well for me.

Edit: You are aware it is activated per site?

Are you sure you are clicking the refresh button and not the undo button? I've never had that problem.

iKerry replied at 2014-7-21 18:35 back.gif

It's possible I was clicking Restore. I'll see what happens now that I'm more aware of the possibili ...

Yup, you were right. I was accidentally clicking the restore last page icon.

Thank you.

Also, I see now that the Reader option was accidentally applied to a few of my web pages. All's well now.

Again, much thanks, Kerry

Archived