Snap Links

tidbit

Opera and Firefox and others.. have an addon called "snap links". It allows you to open all urls within a selection box. Just draw a rectangle and every url (partial or full, maybe it could be an option) in the region is opened in new tabs.

This feature comes in handy fairly often, especially if you have 20-500 links to open. Saves a lot of time.

So.. could this be added into maxthon?

Or perhaps could someone develop an extension (If so, please move this topic to the extension section).

Or... where are the learning resources for extension development? I could maybe attempt it myself.

Thanks, will look into it.

Edit: looked into it. Seems that extensions use JS/HTML/CSS. Not too hard. I was expecting something like C++ and seemingly random .dll files everywhere.

Now I have a reason to try JS again. I've done basic stuff, but nothing serious.

From someone with minimal experience with coding, i'd imagine it's just a matter of detecting URLs in the selection and then opening them in new tabs. You just need to know how to get the links from the selection, as opening in a new tab should be relatively straight forward.

Just not sure how the built-in Drag'n'Drop might affect it, unless you don't use D'n'D like the MX2 version?!

Good luck with it.

detecting the links is the hard part :p Not quite sure how to go about it.

the Opera addon draws a DIV control over the selected area and it modifies the pages source code (I think, it has been a while). It then probably detects all "a href" tags within the newly drawn boxs

and

I could probably do something similar, once I figure out how

.. if you understood any of that :p

.Gif example: http://imgur.com/2hoBNTJ

As for the drag-n-drop, I would probably use a modifier (ctrl, shift or alt) while the right-mouse button is held. Current default gestures use right-click, but if you hold down ctrl or something, gestures don't work. So that opens up a few more hotkey choices.

If I (or a friend who also wants this (we both can program)) ever do get this working, we could probably ask the community what hotkey users would like best.

Got the source of the Chrome version of Snap Links. did a (really) quick look-over. Doesn't seem terribly complex. Maybe someone with MX extension knowledge could convert it faster than me re-learning JS and attempting it?

chrome version source: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28896988/ShareX/snap_links_chrome.zip

Should this topic be moved to the Extensions section? Or is this still a "users voice"?

I had a quick look out of curiosity, but it's way beyond what I know. (Only just started reading a book about JS :-P)

I'd guess a lot should/could stay as is, just anything relating to Chrome API calls would obviously need to be changed to work with the MX ones. Based on other similar requests, you either give up on it or figure it out yourself. There's not too many users that seem to have that much knowledge, or at least the inclination to do such things.

• 1 month later...

Archived