• YouTube full-screen video playback bad

Perplexer
    • Solved

Maxthon 4.9.3.1000

I noticed that YouTube videos playing full-screen in HD (720p or 1080p) are all jittery with missing frames and slightly desynced audio/video, in other words, playback is not smooth (HTML5). I tried vasrious older versions like 4.9.2.1000 and 4.9.1.1000 (portable editions) and those have the same problem with YouTube. I tried Firefox and of course, that one worked perfectly.

I then turned on Retro Mode and that seems to have helped.

So, is Ultra Mode broken for full-screen YouTube HD playback in 4.9 Maxthon branch ?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

It does play in fullscreen-mode but isn't as SMOOTH as in windowed-mode. You can see it being slightly jerky. I have tested it on 2 different Windows 7 computers with different ATI graphics cards and the problem is present on both PCs. Again, Firefox works good. Maybe it's something that is specific to the two computers I tested on but since Firefox works fine, that means Maxthnon could too, if it was fixed.

But if no one else can duplicate your problem, it is more than likely one of your settings.  Throughout the entire video in full screen I experienced no symptoms like those you are describing.  The video playes flawlessly.

It looks like the newest Maxthon 4.9.3.1000 kind of doesn't "lock-in" the full-screen mode. When you go to full-screen mode in YouTube, the taskbar is still visible. So it seems like Maxthon doesn't enter full-screen mode properly and that is why it doesn't play smoothly.

I have uninstalled MX 4.9.3.1000 and installed the old MX 4.4.3.1000 and that version works good in full-screen.

So there is definitely a bug with this in the current 4.9.3.1000 version. Maybe this bug only appears on some computers (in my case on 2 different Windows 7 computers) but the fact is, it is a bug. I just hope they fix it since this is one bug I really can't live with.

Edited by Perplexer

OK, I think I have found out what is causing the problem.

On Windows 7 you can personalize your computer / desktop with different "Themes". There are "Aero themes" and "Basic and High Contrast Themes" available in Control Panel -> Personalization.

I personally use "Windows Classic" theme which is a part of "Basic and High Contrast Themes". In this theme (and other "Basic and High Contrast Themes") Maxthon 4.9.3.1000 does NOT work good in full-screen video playback.

But if I select any theme from "Aero Themes", then MX 4.9.3.1000 will work OK in full-screen video playback.

I don't know if Windows 10 has similar themes but in Windows 7 this is how it is. So apparently MX 4.9 series has changed something so that it doesn't work correctly with non-Aero themes in Windows 7 !

Windows7.jpg

Edited by Perplexer

• Pending = We are still working on this report.

Solved = The issue has been fixed and the resolution will be available in the recent version.

Closed = Feedback or opinion better posted on our forum for discussion.