• Which Flash Player Version for Maxthon?

Chim

In the past, before Adobe changed over to wanting to be a monopoly as the ONLY source for Flash Player, I used to just install all 3 versions (ActiveX, NPAPI and PPAPI) of Flash Player to cover all my bases.  Last week for the first time I attempted to download Flash Player from Adobe's new monopoly setup.  I've been having problems.  Either the download gets stuck at 5% progress or gets to around 48% progress and then aborts ... informing me that the INSTALL failed.  I don't know why it even claims that the INSTALL failed when I didn't even want to install it at that time.  I just wanted the Install File to install it later at my leisure.

Anyway ... as I understand it, Maxthon is a dual engine browser ... Blink and IE, right?  In its default state, doesn't it start out in Blink mode?  In its default mode, could it be said that it is the PPAPI version of Flash Player that Maxthon would be requiring?  Or is it the ActiveX version that it requires ... or both?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Ohhh, I just now noticed that Adobe Flash and Maxthon thread.

I see now that apparently Maxthon comes with a version of Flash Player built-in already albeit not necessarily the most recent.  And I also see that just as I figured would be the case ... it IS the PPAPI version that should be used with the 4.9.x and later releases of Maxthon.

Now that I stumbled upon the answer to my question ... by any chance is Adblock Plus supposed to be disabled when downloading Flash Player from Adobe?  I'm trying to figure out why I have kept getting failures to finish the download.

It is PepperFlash what you are looking. I dont want to install Flash to my computer, because i dont want my other browsers to use it for security reason, thats why i only get the latest pepflashplayer.dll (from portable Flash). Currently im using Flash version 24,0,0,138 with Maxthon.

At first I had no clue what Pepper Flash was.  I went, "Pepper Flash?  What the heck is Pepper Flash?"  I then Googled it and realized it's just PPAPI.  Thanks for confirming that, Hobi.

Now I just need to figure out how to be able to download it without the download getting stuck or aborting.

On 5/11/2016 at 0:24 PM, Chim said:

Now I just need to figure out how to be able to download it without the download getting stuck or aborting.

Try download in another browser if MX is having issues. Although works fine here.

Also check what version you already have installed: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Been playing around with creating an auto updater seeing as fiddling around with files isn't the most user friendly thing for most people. You can try the file attached.

It will detect your MX and installed flash version, update Flash if it's not the most recent, and copy over the correct files to the Maxthon folders.

If you do try it, it would nice to get some feedback if it all went smoothly.

Link to VirusTotal Scan: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/15807b67a026c22bb88e93ab15d052c4cdc4d2e172013d0ee653a9bba9da2fdd/analysis/1478411287/

Gets 2 fails from some random scanners... not sure why.

MX Flash Updater_0.65b.exe

Edited by 7twenty
    updated attachment
    • Like 1

18 hours ago, 7twenty said:

Been playing around with creating an auto updater seeing as fiddling around with files isn't the most user friendly thing for most people. You can try the file attached.

It will detect your MX and installed flash version, update Flash if it's not the most recent, and copy over the correct files to the Maxthon folders.

If you do try it, it would nice to get some feedback if it all went smoothly.

MX Flash Updater_0.65b.exe

Thank you so much for this auto updater. HBO Go now works in ultra mode. I had been trying to update or enable or whatever the flash in MX5 for a while with no success. I had to watch HBO Go in Retro mode until today! Ran the MX Flash Updater 0.65b and it solved that problem right away. Thanks again. ( Just for info, I had to download the file, close MX5 and run the file as admin to get it to work, but it tells you that as you go and then it worked as designed).

Now, should this updater file be saved and used with each new update or will it only work for current version? It looks like it should work for any version.

4 hours ago, rick.lane said:

Now, should this updater file be saved and used with each new update or will it only work for current version? It looks like it should work for any version.

When MX updates it will copy over the older flash version every time. So yes, you should keep a copy and run it after every update if you want Maxthon to always have the latest flash.

It will work so long as Maxthon or Adobe don't change any filenames/paths. So no guarantee on how long it will work.

4 hours ago, rick.lane said:

Ran the MX Flash Updater 0.65b and it solved that problem right away. Thanks again. ( Just for info, I had to download the file, close MX5 and run the file as admin to get it to work, but it tells you that as you go and then it worked as designed).

Depending on where Maxthon is installed and your OS user level you may have to run as Admin as you found. I did as much testing as I could, but there still could be some things that I missed.

Thanks for the feedback.

I scanned the MX Flash Updater with my avast, MBAM and SAS and it checked out clean.

I then tried the Updater.  QUESTION:  Is there supposed to be an active Progress Bar?  When I clicked on the button to start the download, it does display at the bottom of the window in Green letters that it is downloading the latest Flash Player version.  However, in that slot that appears like it probably should have had an active Progress Bar ... nothing is happening.

Since I have Dial Up Internet, I didn't want to wait / waste about 45 minutes assuming that even without a Progress Bar, the download WAS taking place and WOULD eventually finish.  So, I aborted the download attempt to come here and confirm things.

Edited by Chim

48 minutes ago, Chim said:

QUESTION:  Is there supposed to be an active Progress Bar?  When I clicked on the button to start the download, it does display at the bottom of the window in Green letters that it is downloading the latest Flash Player version.  However, in that slot that appears like it probably should have had an active Progress Bar ... nothing is happening.

No, I haven't implemented that. Might have a look, but not sure it can be done due to the way it detects progress.

The flash update is approx 20mb, so on a dialup connection it may well take some time. To see if anything is downloading you can open up task manager and keep an eye on your network connection.

It's quite possible that the reason you were having issues before was that the connection was timing out due to the slow speeds. 

Oh, okay.  No Progress Bar, no problem.  Just as long as I know that it wasn't stuck.  :top: 20mb is around a 1 hour download on my Dial Up.  I've pretty much established that somewhat consistently by my download of software apps and YouTubes.

Follow up questions:  

(1)  So, if that Flash Player Updater does work for me, will I now be able to update Flash Player from that same icon on my desktop upon the release of all newer Flash Player versions?  Or will a new updated Flash Player Updater link be put out by you for each ensuing newer Flash Player version?

(2)  Is that Flash Player Update ONLY for Maxthon?  Cuz I'm understanding that while it IS PPAPI ... it only updates the internal Flash Player of Maxthon, but not the main external version of the installed Flash Player that say --- my Opera Brower would use.  Right?  Not that I use Opera anymore, but it IS my backup browser.

Okay, I'm off to go set that Flash Player Updater to work again.

Thanks, 7twenty! :top: I'll let you know how it goes.

YAY!  Success!  It worked! :1f60e:   Actually, even better than I thought.  As I mentioned in my previous comment, I thought it was only going to update the internal Flash Player version of Maxthon, but not be available for use by my Opera Browser.  However, I checked with Revo Uninstaller and the Flash Player 23 PPAPI version does now show up as flat out installed.  Awesome!  :top: :)

It certainly worked wayyyyy better than trying to go the exclusive straight to Adobe route.  I HATE dealing with any Adobe website.  They're always excruciatingly ssssslow. 

Thanks again, 7twenty!

10 hours ago, Chim said:

1)  So, if that Flash Player Updater does work for me, will I now be able to update Flash Player from that same icon on my desktop upon the release of all newer Flash Player versions?  Or will a new updated Flash Player Updater link be put out by you for each ensuing newer Flash Player version?

As stated above, it will work so long as the links to the file/s it uses aren't changed. I'll try to keep it up to date as best I can though.

10 hours ago, Chim said:

2)  Is that Flash Player Update ONLY for Maxthon?

No. It updates Flash for the system, so it will affect any other program that uses PPAPI flash (like Opera).

But you should run it after any new install/update of Maxthon, as it also copies over the correct files for maxthon to detect and work with the latest version. It won't download any flash installers unless there is a newer version.

8 hours ago, Chim said:

YAY!  Success!  It worked! :1f60e:   Actually, even better than I thought.

Thanks for the feedback!

8 hours ago, Chim said:

I HATE dealing with any Adobe website.  They're always excruciatingly ssssslow. 

Well... that's odd as the download is directly from the adobe site!? 

2 hours ago, joemax said:

Worked fine after running as administrator, thanx

No probs... glad to see some people found it useful :D 

About the admin thing... most people will probably have to do that as MX is installed into program files by default.

Question / Wondering:  Okay, as I understand it, Maxthon has Ultra (Blink) and Retro (Trident) mode.  Right?  And in right out of the box default state, it starts out in Ultra mode, right?  And in its default state, Maxthon has the ability to automatically change to Retro mode when necessary, right?  So could it be said that while almost assuredly Maxthon spends most of its time in Ultra mode ... theoretically it would also need the ActiveX version of Flash Player for the much lesser occasions when it is in Retro mode?  Or not really?  

Is Maxthon perfectly fine with just the PPAPI version of Flash Player to cover Ultra and Retro mode?

2 hours ago, 7twenty said:

I HATE dealing with any Adobe website.  They're always excruciatingly ssssslow.

2 hours ago, 7twenty said:

Well... that's odd as the download is directly from the adobe site!? 

Oh, what I mean there is any instance of actual Adobe PAGES ... the actual websites themselves.  In the case of your Flash Player Updater, the actual work was executed behind the scenes from your custom window while bypassing any need to actually load and display an Adobe PAGE of any sort.

Doh!  Sorry about that, 7twenty.  My QUOTE up there shows up as coming from you.  I didn't know how to change that.

Edited by Chim

7 hours ago, Chim said:

theoretically it would also need the ActiveX version of Flash Player for the much lesser occasions when it is in Retro mode?  Or not really?  

Correct. But given that it should be a rare occurrence to view a page in Retro mode, and even more so in Retro requiring flash, most users shouldn't have to worry about it.

• Like 1

• Pending = We are still working on this report.

Solved = The issue has been fixed and the resolution will be available in the recent version.

Closed = Feedback or opinion better posted on our forum for discussion.