• questions about functionality

MartinM

Hi

I've been using Maxthon occasionaly because my old Opera 12.14 browser is no longer updated. I've a few simple questions for Maxthon v4.9.3.1000 :-

1) How do I sign out of my Maxthon Passport? The browser logs me in automatically when it starts up.

2) How do I disable all script excution in Maxthon? If there is no built in solution, is there any equivalent of 'NoScript' for Maxthon?

3) How do I disable all images of being shown in web pages?

4) Does Maxthon have extensions for displaying web pages with custom built stylesheets? I know about Reader Mode, but I've many others for my Opera desktop browser.

5) Does Maxthon support "Fit to Width" similar to the Opera browser? I sometimes need to zoom out a web page in Maxthon until I can barely read the text.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Martin

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There's "Sign out" button behind personal information icon...Let me know your browser version and I can send snapshot for guidance.

I'm curious about the third question...Why do you need to disable all images in all pages. I just don't know...:(

Thanks for the reply, but I don't need a script editor or style sheet. The page you refer to is in a language I don't understand.

1) If I find no solution for this, I'll re-install Maxthon and no longer login as I don't see the purpose of it. I'll lock my screen as soon as I leave my computer for a moment.

2) ?

3) not possible

4) ?

5) ?

@BugMiss006 

I'm sorry I didn't see your feedback at first.

1) Very well hidden, but I found it. Solved. Thanks.

2) ?

3) I mostly hide images because I'm very distracted by images when I'm reading. I'm also allergic for all types of advertising. A third, minor reason is that sites load faster without the images. In Opera 12.14 I can completely disable the caching of images and that feature also increases performance and lifetime of my disk. The old Opera has many features concerning the handling of images. The context menu function allows reloading/viewing any selected but blocked image. You can put a button in the toolbar that allows you to unblock all images on a page at once. There is also a setting for the blocking of animated graphics. Etc.
    Maxthon has an adblocker, I use OpenDNS with malware blocking set in the dashboard and a Hosts file (found in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc) with more than 13 000 malware/tracking domains blocked. The latter is updated by Hostsman, but I included domains I consider as spying sites such as Facebook and Google. All those measures are good but insufficient, because I still get the images/ads of the websites I visit themselves.

4) ?

5) ?

Edited by MartinM

On 2016/8/31 at 10:33 PM, MartinM said:

The page you refer to is in a language I don't understand.

You can see language options on bottom of Magdalene's mentioned page, and then you will get English

http://extension.maxthon.com/detail/index.php?view_id=1711&category_id=

It is an extention which may could solve the No.4 question.

Could you give more description of this "Fit to Width" function? GIF picture or short video...because honestly I couldn't understand your point clearly...

Regarding to 2&3, it's a pity that we don't have options now, but I transferred your suggestion to our product manager just now, and was told these functions could be considered if it was widely required. :)

Given you have explained your reason for no-image website, could you be more patient to tell the scene you need to disable Javascript? which will be highly appreciated!

I get the following warning when I try to install the extension : "Malicious extensions may cause problems and invade privacy." I prefer not to install it as long as'm not sure it's completely safe. One of the main reasons I like the old Opera is that I've never needed extensions or add-ons for it because everything was built-in.

For "Fit to Width" look at these screen dumps before and after enabling the function.

1) text isn't wrapping and can't be read without a lot of horizontal scrolling : http://img8.pixhost.org/images/143/34221976_too-wide.gif

2) text wraps and no horizontal scrollbar is needed to read the text : http://img8.pixhost.org/images/143/34221973_fit-to-width.gif

This happens only with smaller sites that have designers who don't know much about HTML.

Most people think Javascript isn't a threat but I know better. I just give a few articles about past problems and the incidents are increasing with time :-

[Many Chrome browser extensions do sneaky things - Computerworld - Opera]
    For example, extensions can intercept Web requests from the browser and modify traffic and inject JavaScript into Web pages.
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9250498/Many_Chrome_browser_extensions_do_sneaky_things?source=CTWNLE_nlt_security_2014-08-21

[Most Ironic Attack Ever Plants Malware On Websites Using PageFair Ad Service - Opera] 
    The PageFair hackers secretly replaced the fine JavaScript that pages usually serve with their own malware, which infected sites
    http://www.fastcompany.com/3053001/elasticity/most-ironic-attack-ever-plants-malware-on-websites-using-pagefair-ad-service

[Locky ransomware activity ticks up | Computerworld - Opera]
    recent Locky spam contains an obfuscated JavaScript file, which if executed downloads the ransomware
    http://www.computerworld.com/article/3042617/security/locky-ransomware-activity-ticks-up.html

I might be a control freak and a bit paranoid, but I want to keep security risks as low as possible. I know many people don't care about their privacy or malware but I do. I enable JavaScript only when strictly necessary. I choose sites on the basis of their content and navigability. Most of the time JS isn't necessary at all. For instance, the m-version of Yahoo works without JS on my PC.

• Pending = We are still working on this report.

Solved = The issue has been fixed and the resolution will be available in the recent version.

Closed = Feedback or opinion better posted on our forum for discussion.